Companies waiting for business at the pier

andnickali

I was wondering if there are any companies right near the pier in GC that can do an excursion that is not pre-booked? When I was in Key West I booked an excursion through the cruise line and walked 20 feet off the pier and the same company was signing people up for $20.00 less!!!

Thanks,

Shanon

My GENERAL rule is that you can *ALWAYS, ALWAYS,ALWAYS*

get tours/transportation from locals for less than the cruise lines charge,

from locals when you get off of the ship.;)

Although this is a vacation to you, it is BUSINESS for the cruise lines (as well as the locals) and they make a profit on making arrangements for you!:mad:

Did you know that the "OFFICIAL STORES" promoted by the cruise lines and listed on the maps that they give out pay the cruise lines a fee to be "OFFICIAL" ?:eek:

There is nothing wrong with this, just realize it. They DON'T necessarily offer the best prices, even if the cruise lines tell you so.

(Saying something is so, doesn't make it so!):confused:

Many people don't like negotiating with local drivers or want to bother reading about what to request from them.

You can often get tours anywhere from 25%-75% less than what the cruise lines charge.

The exception to this is when there is limited access to an activity such as a dolphin encounter that can only take a maximum number of people.

I was recently in CAYMAN, and there were 8 ships in that day, meaning over 10,000 tourists running around at the same time. THAT can be a factor also, but if you just want a basic tour of an island, I'd say that you can ALWAYS do better with a local, AND get a more personalized tour.

Anyone disagree ???;)

I agree to go with a local cab whenever possible. However, make sure the price is understood, the vehicle is acceptable and has a/c that works, they speak decent English (ask them how much snow they had last year if you are in doubt), that the person you are "negotiating" with will be your guide as sometimes they hire a fluent, English speaking person to shill for them and then pass you off to someone else whose English is questionable or their vehicle is iffy, and that they will go to the sights you want to see. If those sights charge an admission fee, it is on your ticket.

The advantages to using a local guide are that you have control. No long stops at a tourist trap for "shopping." They know where the good bathrooms are and don't hesitate to drive you up to the best hotel in town to use their facilities if they know they can get away with it. If something doesn't interest you, you can move on. If it does interest you, you can stay as long as you want. They will make "refreshment" stops for you or stop at a local grocery to get supplies to take on the ship. They are always cheaper but even if they are the same price, I would do it just for control.

Disadvantages are that you are on your own as far as getting back to the ship on time--the ship won't wait. Therefore, if the port time is limited, you are best advised to go with the ship's tour. We usually go first thing in the morning which gives us all day to get back if there is a problem, which we have never had I might add.

I can't ever think of a time we were disappointed with going with the local economy on a port excursion. Some have been better than others but we always felt we got what we paid for and in many cases, more. However, I have been extremely disappointed on several occasions with ship's tours. Any complaints to the ship about an excursion not being what was "advertised," inferior guides, inferior transportation, etc., brings for the usual "they are independent contractors and we have no control sorry."

Tucker in Texas

Yes, there will be locals at the pier waiting for you to take you to any of the major sites. You can get Stingray City tours as well. We didn't do it, but we saw them there as you got off the tender. I would do it here and not worry, as opposed to my response to you in Jamaica.

Thank you all for your input. We have been to Bermuda and Nassau, and the two islands are worlds apart!!! In Bermuda we had no problem getting around and working with the locals, so when we went to the Bahamas we decided to not pre-book any tours and just wing it, which was not the best idea on that stop. Then in Key West we pre-booked and found the tour operator selling tickets to people on our boat for less. And, on this cruise we are traveling with our kids, so I think pre-booking a tour directly will be our best option. I know that Nativeway has had a lot of positive reviews here in the boards.

Shannon

Archived