Vatican Museum Tour

kprice1218

Looking for advice....We are confirmed for transfers from Civitavecchia to Rome post cruise with a pick up at the pier around 8:00 am. We have a Necropolis tour scheduled for 3:15, will there be enough time to get to Rome, drop our things off at a yet undetermined hotel, and go to the Vatican in time to do a Museum tour before the Necropolis tour?? If so any idea what time I should book the tickets for?

If you're being picked up at 8:00 you should be at your hotel (if in central Rome) around 9:30. In most hotels your room will not yet be ready, but you can likely check-in and then leave your luggage. I'd allow an hour -- in case you want to get a coffee, freshen up in the lobby bathroom, etc. By now it's 10:30. By taxi you can be at the Vatican museum entrance in a half hour, so 11:00 would be the soonest I'd book a tour. Most times they like you to arrive a few minutes early to get through the line and to the proper meeting point.

I recommend to hire a guide as it will enhance your tour.We used romeinlimo and they will have tour guide waiting for you

The OP is planning on a tour with a guide directly through the museum. No need for a private guide in this case....

• 1 month later...
If you're being picked up at 8:00 you should be at your hotel (if in central Rome) around 9:30. In most hotels your room will not yet be ready, but you can likely check-in and then leave your luggage. I'd allow an hour -- in case you want to get a coffee, freshen up in the lobby bathroom, etc. By now it's 10:30. By taxi you can be at the Vatican museum entrance in a half hour, so 11:00 would be the soonest I'd book a tour. Most times they like you to arrive a few minutes early to get through the line and to the proper meeting point.

I have found several companies offering Vatican Museum Tours and I am confused on which companies are recommended. Is the tour that is available through the Vatican website any different?

There are many different companies offering tours -- you have to read their descriptions and compare. Some offer smaller groups, some (probably most) use headsets, most allow you to skip the line.

Be sure the tour covers what you want to see: some are just the Vatican museums and Sistine chapel and others include St. Peter's as well.

The official Vatican tours tend to be somewhat large groups but are well run with thorough guides. If you want a small group experience I'd look elsewhere. I believe the Vatican requires that any guides used must be licensed, but some are clearly going to be better than others...

I had all of the same questions for our recent Med cruise. I ended up booking a "Small Group, Skip the Line Vatican Museum and ST. Peter's Basilica" tour through Viator (on Trip Advisor). I know many people dislike Viator (because they are simply a broker and you don't always know whom your tour is actually booked with). Anyhow, I rolled the dice and we had an excellent experience!!

The tour actually ended up being with City Wonders, our group was approx. 12-15 people. The tour guide, Francesca, was awesome!! She really made the tour, she also did a great job at keeping the group together, keeping us moving through the sometimes difficult crowds. I felt like I got great value on this booking....

I had all of the same questions for our recent Med cruise. I ended up booking a "Small Group, Skip the Line Vatican Museum and ST. Peter's Basilica" tour through Viator (on Trip Advisor). I know many people dislike Viator (because they are simply a broker and you don't always know whom your tour is actually booked with). Anyhow, I rolled the dice and we had an excellent experience!!

The tour actually ended up being with City Wonders, our group was approx. 12-15 people. The tour guide, Francesca, was awesome!! She really made the tour, she also did a great job at keeping the group together, keeping us moving through the sometimes difficult crowds. I felt like I got great value on this booking....

This is great news because I booked with Dark Rome (aka City Wonders) as well, I'm happy to hear you had a good experience.