1st Cruise, attire question.

dcruisedog

I'm sure this has been asked before, so I apologize, but I can't find the answer I've been looking for when I've searched previous threads.

For informal nights, it says that men should wear jackets and slacks. My question is, are Jackets a must? If so, I will need to do some shopping.

I am sailing on Zentih 1/9

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Yes, the men do wear jackets, and many also opt for the tie, on informal nights. If you plan to go to the alternate restaurant, like Normandie, you will also need a jacket, even if you dine there on a casual night, the dress code for those restaurants is always either formal or informal.

I didn;t think the Zenith had another restaurant, except for the informal dining where you do not have to wear a jacket. To my knowledge the ship has no specialty restaurants. Also from reading these threads there is not alot of adherence to the dress code on the Zenith except for formal night. Any recent Zenith cruisers perhaps could address this issue.

If you've read that there is some non-compliance to the dress code, you also must have read that it irritates those who have bothered to follow the code! If you want casual, go to the alternative casual restaurant by reservation before 5. Any jacket will do.

If you've read that there is some non-compliance to the dress code, you also must have read that it irritates those who have bothered to follow the code! If you want casual, go to the alternative casual restaurant by reservation before 5. Any jacket will do.

I agree. Better still, perhaps Celebrity, which is noted for elegance and tradition compared to many other lines, is not the right cruise for you; there are more casual lines around.

I feel bad for the original poster who is rather being told to find a cruise line that is different than Celebrity - which is supposedly known for its adherence to traditions and elegance -- as per the very last post.

I just got off a 12 day Celebrity cruise -- the statement about being more elegant -- well this didn't apply to my last cruise - so obviously it isn't true for all cruises. To state this as fact to the OP, is misleading.

There will be men in the dining room on Informal night that look nice and are tastefully dressed -- and they will not be in a jacket. That's a fact. It is not the suggested dress code, true. Unless these passengers truly look unkempt or tasteless, however, it's a safe bet that they are not irritating the huge majority of other diners.

I've only sailed a few times -- long long ago when you truly had to "dress" in a jacket and tie every single night and ladies were always in dressy dresses - not even dressy pants outfits. More recently, I've sailed five times on Princess -- which only has Smart Casual and Formal as designated dress code.

All of my Princess cruises were dressier overall than this last Celebrity cruise -- including the Formal nights.

It varies much from cruise to cruise -- this is so obviously true, no matter how hard anyone tries to keep it tight.

Informal night on my Celebrity cruise brought out everything. Yep, I was surprised. Many jackets -- but lots of dress shirts on men with our without ties and no jacket. Saw some Aloha style shirts on these nights also -- no I'm not confusing these nights with Casual night. Women were not all that dressed -- no more dressy than what you'd find on most nights called "Smart Casual" on a Princess cruise.

Don't let the "informal" code put you off if you really want to sail Celebrity.

Except for Christmas, most formal nights (there were three) brought out lots of "Nice Church Clothes" and not truly formal outfits. I saw less tuxes on this cruise than I ever have before. Most of my cruises have been during family vacation times (school break weeks).

Casual night -- on this last cruise it seemed very very casual -- I think some men would have looked nicer or would have been more tastefully dressed in dressy bermuda shorts, honestly, and I'm not trying to be nasty.

I'm not suggesting that the OP should ignore the dress code. I advise friends to make an honest effort. There is a code; most try to follow it. I'm not one who is irritated or offended by those who don't follow it. I just chuckle at those few (there are always a few) who go out of their way to dress horribly in protest of the dress code.

Take a good look at when you are traveling, how long is the cruise, what is the demographic etc. I do believe this contributes to the variables you find in adherence to the dress codes.

Have a great cruise.

J

We cruised Summit in Sept. and the only thing I did not care for was a jacket every night.. By day 4, I had tossed the jacket and wore dress shirt and no tie. I felt comfortable and noticed a lot of others had done the same. I am cruising Connie Jan 28th and will not attend the first formal night and will dress for the 2nd formal night. I will wear a jacket on the 2nd formal informal night, and I will be casual as I wish on the casual nights.

I find it in poor taste for people on these boards to make some of the comments they make. I get the feeling they only care about themselves.Your posting was refreshing to know there are posters here that think along the same as we do.

We cruised Summit in Sept. and the only thing I did not care for was a jacket every night..
Where did you get the impression that you were expected to wear a jacket every night? Certainly not from the docs you were sent, nor the ship's daily, nor anywhere here at CC. Just got back from a 12nt where half of the nights (as is typical for a 12nt) were casual.

I wouldn't want someone reading about Celebrity for the first time to get the wrong impression.

http://www.celebrity.com/beforeyourcruise/faq/home.do?faqSubjectName=Dress+Codes&faqId=479&pagename=faq_answers

I find it in poor taste for people on these boards to make some of the comments they make. I get the feeling they only care about themselves.

Do understand that many people believe that those who won't go along with Celebrity's reasonable requests also care only about themselves.

Do understand that many people believe that those who won't go along with Celebrity's reasonable requests also care only about themselves.

Fortunately the few that seem "irratated" or suggest "another cruise line" are the few on these boards. Many times they are the same group that tend to post in attack mode. If people would concentrate on having a good time and not being so judgemental about what others are wearing, they would more than likely have a better time. I am always considerate of others to the point that it does not negatively affect me.

Since when do you have to go to alternative casual before 5. Sometimes people on this board ask a simple quesion and everyone gets carried away, and sometimes downright ignorant.

Since this is attire question I’ll get right to the heart of the matter, Before you replace your tires, always consult the vehicle owner’s manual and follow the vehicle manufacturer’s replacement tire recommendations. Vehicle handling may be significantly affected by a change in tire size or type. When selecting tires that are different from the original equipment size, see a professional installer in order to make certain that proper clearance, load carrying capacity and inflation pressure is selected. Never exceed the maximum load capacity and inflation pressure listed on the sidewall of the tire. Always drive safely and obey all traffic laws. Avoid sudden, sharp turns or lane changes. Failure to follow this warning may result in loss of control of the vehicle, leading to an accident and serious injury or death.

Hope this helps!

I never knew such a simple question would generate the kind of response it has. I appreciate the "friendly" advice. I wasn't trying to get out of wearing a jacket, I just wanted to know if I needed to go shopping.

Some of you seem a little uptight, while the others sound like the kind of people I would like to be cruising with. All I know is, if I'm wearing a jacket, I'm not going to be wasting my time worring about those that aren't, I'm just going to be enjoying myself and making the most of my cruise.

If you wore a jacket everynight you didn't follow suggested guidelines. Most nights are casual. The jacket nights are only informal and formal. Casual nights no jacket needed so no need to look out of place wearing one.

I never knew such a simple question would generate the kind of response it has. I appreciate the "friendly" advice. I wasn't trying to get out of wearing a jacket, I just wanted to know if I needed to go shopping.

Some of you seem a little uptight, while the others sound like the kind of people I would like to be cruising with. All I know is, if I'm wearing a jacket, I'm not going to be wasting my time worring about those that aren't, I'm just going to be enjoying myself and making the most of my cruise.

dcruisedog, I agree many posters are uptight.

Good thing you will not be wasting any time worring about others, after all the cruises on the Zenith are short enough without haveing to worry about everyone else's attire. Please come back after your cruise and let those of know (who are not uptight) how your cruise was and how you found the ship as far as attire goes. It is my understanding from reading these threads that there are just as many cruisers on the Zenith who do adhere to the dress code as do. I am leaving on the 23rd, my DH will wear and jacket on formal night, that is it. Have a wonderful cruise.

Welcome to this board. LOL. You have a good approach with what you are doing. For reference purposes....I wear a jacket on the two formal nights...on these nights, you see everything from a tuxedo, to a plain 'ol dinner jacket. On the other nights, a tasteful shirt, with or without tie seems to be acceptable. As long as you don't show up wearing sandals, shorts, and a t-shirt, everything else is pretty much fair game.......believe me when I tell you that the crew will leave you alone if you follow these simple rules. There will always be some uppity folks that will criticize everything, down to the color lipstick your wife is wearing. These folks believe that they own the cruise line, the ship is theirs, and unless you do what they say, you should be on Carnival or some other "lesser" cruise line. Of course, the other side of that coin is that perhaps these people should limit themselves to cruising on the QM2 or the QE2 and then everyone is happy.

Some people choose to go all out, others pack less. It all depends on how strong your mule is. Experience has taught my wife and I to pack smart, so gone are the days of multiple suits and evening gowns. I mean, my back still hurts from the frist cruise we took back in 1993. Now, we just go for the experience and the enjoyment of getting away from it all, and I am not about to let someone else tell me what to do, unless it is a crew member giving me directions on which life boat to get on after we hit that iceberg........sorry.......Titanic was on HBO (again).

This is from Celebrity's own website FAQ on dress codes:

"On informal nights, men are requested to wear a jacket, shirt and tie, while women may want to wear a suit or dress."

It is the cruise line that sets the dress codes.

It's the passengers who either observe them, or disregard them.

Well said! I personally find it annoying when this question is answered with a comment that the dress code is often ignored so therefore it is ok to ignore it!

Many people enjoy X because it does offer a more traditional experience and because most passengers enjoy dressing for dinner. I was really appalled at what passed for dinner attire on my recent Mercury cruise but I and those in my party dressed each evening for dinner.

Did the way others dress detract from my experience? Yes, it did. I cruised with friends and family who had not been on X before and I set the stage for what I expected to be an upscale experience. While X delivered in many ways, it was very disappointing what was permitted on informal nights in the main dining room.

Really, there are lots of cruise lines out there for people who prefer a casual atmosphere.

This is from Celebrity's own website FAQ on dress codes:

"On informal nights, men are requested to wear a jacket, shirt and tie, while women may want to wear a suit or dress."

It is the cruise line that sets the dress codes.

It's the passengers who either observe them, or disregard them.

I think the keyword is "requested", as opposed to "required". On my last cruise, on 2 out of the seven nights, announcements were made that they were waving any dress codes for that evening due to the ship's schedule.

It is not unusual for the ship to change or even cancel a diningroom dress code to to port times or certain circumstances. Usually this will post in the daily the night before, but can be announced under certqain conditions.

This however is not a reason, or excuse to not dress appropriately during the rest of the cruise.

As for require vs request........To REQUEST is a formal way of stating a requirement when used in the text it is. The 'request' in the dress code IS FOLLOWED by the statement that alternative casual restaurants are also available.:rolleyes:

Its a lot nicer and sounds more polite to make a request of a passenger than to demand or require. This is simple common English, and proper manner.;)

Seems TOO many of those on this site have lost track of the basic understanding of the English language. Not to mention ship board etiquette.:(

BTW: It says nothing about pants and shoes, so using your logic I could assume that I could show up barefoot and bare assed and be in perfect compliance...Right?:D

Dave:eek:

Archived