Wearing Sandals in Havana?

BRC6C

This may seem like a frivolous question, but here goes! Given that I wear sandals all summer in most circumstances will I be comfortable in them in Havana? I am not squeamish about getting my feet dirty, but if there's reason to wear closed shoes I will.

Thanks!

Hi BRC6C - given that sandals are your normal footwear, I think you’ll be fine. Keep in mind that most people visiting Havana prefer to get around the city by walking, so you’ll want to be sure your sandals are comfortable enough to wear throughout the day, at times on uneven streets. The only possible exception I can think of is whether sandals are appropriate at a nightclub such as the Tropicana.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

If you are not going to walk far from the cruise terminal, then you can get away with wearing sandals.

Old Havana's streets are relatively clean in the morning but get pretty dirty as the day wears on. Many streets are cobbled and not always in good repair. Pavements are also a bit dodgy in some areas so you cannot take for granted that your next step will be on even ground. Probably the worst aspect of Cuban streets is the dog faeces which becomes ubiquitous as the day wears on.

While I wear sandals/thongs 99% of the time at home, I personally would not never even think of wearing sandals on Cuban streets.

This may seem like a frivolous question, but here goes! Given that I wear sandals all summer in most circumstances will I be comfortable in them in Havana? I am not squeamish about getting my feet dirty, but if there's reason to wear closed shoes I will.

Thanks!

You will be absolutely fine. I started out my tour in sneakers but was out of them by noon after the P2P project ( I carry them with me since they are almost weightless). I felt that in the area where we did the community project, it is a good idea to wear something closed toed.

Next day, all day in sandals. More comfortable in my skechers sandals.

The streets were fine and pretty much OK except those in the areas I mentioned above.