Naples, Capri, Amalfi, Or Pompei???

Breakfast_at_Taylors

Have you joined the Roll Call for your cruise? We've always done that and joined small-group tours organized by folks on our Roll Call. On our last cruise we did such a tour from Naples that stopped in Herculaneum (smaller than Pompei but also destroyed by Mt. Vesuvius), Sorrento and the Amalfi Coast. Sorrento and Amalfi Coast would fulfill your love of "walking, window shopping, and taking pictures of quaint and quirky side streets and alleyways." It was a wonderful 8-hours! Note: We had visited Pompeii on a previous cruise and it's pretty much a full day on its own.

Thanks Barb! Yes, the first thing I do is join the Roll Call. Also created a group somewhere else as well. However, there are only like 2 others on the roll call and no one is active. It's still far out so I'm hoping it picks up soon. Hoping to book a shared tour with Joe Banana Limos. Guess I'm just confused with all the towns...Sorrento, Positano....Amalfi...lol. I just want to see that town that has the famous picture if you search Amalfi Coast. But I think that's Positano. I have heard of Herculaneum as well. Will keep that in mind as well.

Thanks Barb! Yes, the first thing I do is join the Roll Call. Also created a group somewhere else as well. However, there are only like 2 others on the roll call and no one is active. It's still far out so I'm hoping it picks up soon. Hoping to book a shared tour with Joe Banana Limos. Guess I'm just confused with all the towns...Sorrento, Positano....Amalfi...lol. I just want to see that town that has the famous picture if you search Amalfi Coast. But I think that's Positano. I have heard of Herculaneum as well. Will keep that in mind as well.[/quote

If you stop at Positano balcony you can take that picture of Positano beautiful view.

Edited by cruisinginapril2012

First, @cornishpastyman1 thank you for your video's. They are pretty awesome!

Second, I was in Rome, Capri & Positano late May/early June this year. We basically took the train from Rome to Naples and a taxi straight to the ferry port to go to Capri. While Naples has all the museums with the antiquities of Pompeii, I couldn't wait to get out of there.

Capri is delightful. My favorite part was walking from Capri town up to Villa Jovis which is the ruins of the emperor's (Augustus and Tiberius) palace. The nearby Parco Natural was not open the Monday I went. It contains the leap where those who dissatisfied the emperor were plunged to their deaths. We also did a private boat tour around the island and saw all the other grotto's - green, coral, etc - but skipped the touristy blue grotto. Cost of private boat for 2 hours was 160 euro. The gardens of Augustus really shouldn't be missed. Sadly, the Via Krupp was closed due to falling rocks. It's visible from above but you can no longer walk it. People watching with an apertivo in the piazzetta is also great fun with a nice bottle of Anglianico.

Ravello has some great views. Other than visiting the 2 villa's there isn't much else to do there. I did love Villa Cimbrone though and the Infinity Terrace. Their rose garden was pretty spectacular and it wasn't overly crowded. What a great hotel for a weddding.

Positano was our home for 4 fabulous nights. This is a shopping mecca, as is Amalfi. Hand made sandals, white linen. So many great places to eat.

While in Positano, we took a hired car to Pompeii. We had watched the 4G video tours on You Tube and really wanted to visit the Villa de Mysteri which was only offered on a 4 hour tour so did our own self guided tour. We missed the brothel as the line was too long and I never made it over to the amphitheater but saw most of what I wanted to see before it got really busy and did it in 3 hours. From there we went to New Pompeii and visited the Bosci dei Medici winery for a delicious lunch and wine tasting. Its got 3 prices depending on how hungry you are. We found the lowest priced to be more than sufficient for us. The 6 wines from sparkling, white, red and the area's famous Lychrema Christi (tears of christ) was outstanding. Their Anglianico was excellent as well. It was a real highlight of our visit. From there it was off to an an Gargiulo olive oil plant in Sorrento for a tour and tasting. Got a bottle of limoncello there too. The car and driver was 140 euro, before tip, and we paid for the entrance to Pompeii and lunch at the winery. It was a perfect day!

While driving the Amalfi coast was entertaining, I found being in the towns much more fun than the drive. Having a Limoncello spritz and watching the world go by at Marina Grande in Capri or adjacent to the Amalfi ferry pier was really enjoyable. I've tried but can't make a limoncello spritz that tastes as good.

If I had to pick a favorite spot it would have to be Capri because of its singular beauty and history. I would love to go back some day. Whatever you choose - enjoy every second!

During the summer months, is it possible to go to Pompeii, Positano, Sorrento and the Amalfi Coast all in one day? Has anyone done it during July or August with Joe Banana or Rome in Limo assuming a lot of traffic during that peak season?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums