Rome excursion

SwanseaVillanReturns

Help !!!

Thinking of getting RC ships excursion to Rome via train , and then maxing the 6 hours available by skip the line tours at Vatican and then Coliseum.

Has anybody tried this ? How tight would the timing be ?

Duration of trip is specified as 10 hours 30 mins, starts at 8.00 and train journey is 50 mins to train station 15 mins walk to Vatican. Problem is i think i have to specify time of entry at both attractions.

Any advice gratefully received.

Thanks in advance

The ticket process at the Colosseum changed recently, I think that tickets purchased on line are for afternoons only (after 2 PM maybe, not sure of the exact time).

It really sounds unpleasant to me to try and cram both into the same very short day. I'd encourage you to have a long talk with yourself about which one is more important to you and focus on that one only.

The ticket process at the Colosseum changed recently, I think that tickets purchased on line are for afternoons only (after 2 PM maybe, not sure of the exact time).

It really sounds unpleasant to me to try and cram both into the same very short day. I'd encourage you to have a long talk with yourself about which one is more important to you and focus on that one only.

Think you may be right. On the previous day in La Spezia we're only doing Florence as opposed to Florence AND Pisa

Yes, I would agree with picking one OR the other and focusing your day around it as they're not close by each other and both experience heavy crowds. Even with Skip The Line tickets, you'll be surrounded by crowds when at the site and will be happy to take a break somewhere interesting but not quite so chaotic. For example, we were just there, and even when the Colosseum was a mob scene (thank you to our professional guide for taking us in the back gate), the San Clemente Basilica (a 12th century church built on a 4th century Christian church built on a Roman insula and Mithraic temple) that was less than 10 minutes walk away was practically deserted. (We saw less than a dozen people the entire time we were there. Underground was also blissfully cool in the Roman heat.) And of course, you're going to want time to stop and sit and enjoy a pasta or pizza lunch!

(BTW, I can't recommend enough the benefit of touring with a professional guide if you're trying to tour efficiently and also understand what it is you're seeing. Yes, I'm the type who will read obsessively and/or download audioguides to accompany me. But no one else in my family is. So a professional guide was invaluable.)