tauck riverboat cruises

Evila

Has anyone had any experience with Tauck Riverboat Cruises? I am planning a cruise Budapest/Bucharest with them. As they are about twice the price of Uniworld [although all incidentals like gratuities etc. are included] I wonder if it's worth spending that much more. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

I am a great fan of Tauck Tours and have traveled with them many times. I have gotten over the first blush of "expensive" because I have seen that you receive great value for the price charged if you care to travel with first class accommodations and meals included. HOWEVER, having said that, I too have wondered why one would book a river cruise with Tauck unless they had the entire vessel exclusively and offered something substantially more than the usual fare would purchase. If you find out, please share with the rest of us.

Clarence:)

Clarence, I did find out that Tauck are using a vessel owned by Scylla which I believe is a Swiss company. I do not know if the entire boat is assigned to Tauck or if they just rent space. Would this make any difference? The Uniworld cabins are larger than the Switzerland ll [the name of the boat] but I think the food would be better and, as you say, a lot of the extras are included. I am really torn as this will be a special trip for us and I want it to be tops. That's why I hoped someone who has been on a Tauck cruise could give me a report on their experience. Perhaps somebody will still come through.

Hi all,

I´m not familiar with Tauck but I´ve heard of Scylla. Have a look on their website

http://www.scylla-tours.com

All boats are relatively small (ranging from 89 to 155 passengers). I have a short video of the Swiss Crystal and the boats are looking quite nice although a bit old fashioned.

I have a brochure of Plantours & Partner (http://www.plantours-partner.de/), a German cruise company, offering the Scylla boats Swiss Crystal and Swiss Coral as "their" boats. So I assume that Scylla does complete charters to tour operators.

The Scylla boats have very interesting itineraries and go to places I´ve never seen with any other European river cruise company.

steamboats

Has anyone had any experience with Tauck Riverboat Cruises? I am planning a cruise Budapest/Bucharest with them. As they are about twice the price of Uniworld [although all incidentals like gratuities etc. are included] I wonder if it's worth spending that much more. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

My parents did the tauck river cruise this past September. They love Tauck. This was their first Tauck river cruise adventure but have used Tauck for Europe trips. It's more expensive because everything is included (shore excursions, etc. but not personal stuff) and it's mindless traveling Tauck takes care of everything. Plus Tauck is just a really nice company to deal with. My parents did the Budapest to Amsterdam trip for two weeks and had a great time.

Just a side note about Tauck. My parent's anniversary is 9/11, it was their 40th anniversary, so my sister and I sent them some wine to drink for dinner for their anniversary because our parents hate fuss. Their tour director felt that wasn't good enough given that their anniversary takes place on such a horrible day and on his own filled their cabin with balloons and had the chef make a huge chocolate cake for them that they shared with the crew and fellow passengers. The tour director (mom called him Tom Terrific) went above and beyond in all aspect of the trip not just this situation. My parents were very appreciative for his special treatment for their anniversary.

Eileen

I am a great fan of Tauck Tours and have traveled with them many times. I have gotten over the first blush of "expensive" because I have seen that you receive great value for the price charged if you care to travel with first class accommodations and meals included. HOWEVER, having said that, I too have wondered why one would book a river cruise with Tauck unless they had the entire vessel exclusively and offered something substantially more than the usual fare would purchase. If you find out, please share with the rest of us.

Yes the entire boat is excusively for Tauck Tours' use. If you check the Tauck Tours website you'll find the additional features for each Tauck riverboat tour.

HTH,

Eileen

Yes the entire boat is excusively for Tauck Tours' use. If you check the Tauck Tours website you'll find the additional features for each Tauck riverboat tour.

HTH,

Eileen

Thank you all for your suggestions and advice. I did look at the Scylla ships and they do look a bit outdated. So long as they are kept in good repair and don't look shipworn I don't mind. I guess I'll take the gamble and book with Tauck.

Conetune

Archived