Silversea Water Cooler: Welcome! Part Five

CCHelp

i have started our family trees as our son has done a lot of work.

Both my grandmothers came from ancestors who lived in Lanarkshire, Scotland but separate lineages.

On Rojaan's side there are Welsh genes but no names but several aliases of one particular fellow and it seems the Welsh ancestors had free trips to Australia and had several holidays at Her Majesty's pleasure. That is time in the Big House.

• Like 4

Unfortunately @mysty the world has changed. I was always a fellow that would give a long hug to those whose spirits were down often because I had said something that caused that feeling. Just goes with being a Medico. But in the last few years of my career that started to bring complaints from some.

Fortunately family and friends don't complain.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, drron29 said:

Unfortunately @mysty the world has changed. I was always a fellow that would give a long hug to those whose spirits were down often because I had said something that caused that feeling. Just goes with being a Medico. But in the last few years of my career that started to bring complaints from some.

Fortunately family and friends don't complain.

That’s so sad drron. A sad reflection of the way the world is heading. 

• Like 5

And just read the news from Brazil where a plane crash has killed all passengers and crew.

Will definitely mean some people will need a good hug. Always feel for family and friends waiting at the airport when they get news like this. so sad.

8 minutes ago, drron29 said:

And just read the news from Brazil where a plane crash has killed all passengers and crew.

Will definitely mean some people will need a good hug. Always feel for family and friends waiting at the airport when they get news like this. so sad.

Again no appropriate emoji!  Devastating news!  😪

On 8/3/2024 at 9:40 PM, mysty said:

I started reading another enjoyable mystery series years ago.  I am intending to finish working my way through it.  This one takes place in France.  One of the delights of this series is the description of the meals Bruno creates.  I salivated with every one.

Bruno, Chief of Police Series
 by Martin Walker

Benoît Courrèges, aka Bruno, is a former soldier turned policeman, who has embraced the pleasures and slow rhythms of country life in the idyllic village of St. Denis in the South of France. But a series of murders, intrigues, and other crimes soon interrupt his peace and quiet. In the Mystery of the French Countryside novels, Bruno must balance his beloved routines—living in his restored shepherd’s cottage, shopping at the local market, drinking wine—with his thrilling detective duties.

The first book in the series is called Bruno, Chief of Police.

9780307454690.jpg.c62b1fe51fdc418e349e5ce321b8fe18.jpg

From Penguin Random House:

"The first installment in the delightful, internationally acclaimed series featuring Chief of Police Bruno.

Meet Benoît Courrèges, aka Bruno, a policeman in a small village in the South of France.  He’s a former soldier who has embraced the pleasures and slow rhythms of country life. He has a gun but never wears it; he has the power to arrest but never uses it.  But then the murder of an elderly North African who fought in the French army changes all that.  Now Bruno must balance his beloved routines—living in his restored shepherd’s cottage, shopping at the local market, drinking wine, strolling the countryside—with a politically delicate investigation.  He’s paired with a young policewoman from Paris and the two suspect anti-immigrant militants.  As they learn more about the dead man’s past, Bruno’s suspicions turn toward a more complex motive."

The link below gives the books in order: 

https://www.goodreads.com/series/52300-bruno-chief-of-police

Very popular here too, read all of them.  And there's a cookery book😊

IMG_8133.webp

• Like 2

On 8/3/2024 at 11:06 PM, UKCruiseJeff said:

Good Evening Coolers,

All the talk of food, I thought I’d mention one of my favourite films that many haven’t viewed or even heard of and it is Babette’s Feast.  It was in fact the first Danish film to win an Oscar - for Best Foreign Language Film. It’s very atmospheric and a lovely film.

It’s to buy or rentable for a few pounds/dollars/euros on several streams including Amazon, Apple and Youtube - but if you are going to watch it and are dithering about paying double - then buy it.  I watch it around once a year.  It has been said by  many that it is the best foody film of all time. 

If you plan to watch it then I suggest you don’t read any full reviews because it might spoil it a little, although in spite of viewing it often I find it sublime regularly.

A late night film when it’s quiet in order to enjoy it fully.

I’d like to hear if you give it a view.

Jeff

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0092603/

Agree, one of those classics to watch regularly. Which is classified as weird behaviour by some of my kin, looks like I'm becoming the family eccentric. Suits me just fine, I aspire to turn into a kind of Auntie Mame character when retired🤣

We have in the past few days had some real and metaphorical hugs going round this country, which were much needed.  Thank goodness for good people.

You probably don't miss hugs until you suddenly don't get them very often, but they do make a big difference to life.

• Like 5

That is a nice one, Sophia.  Have just seen one elsewhere, and as I am too stupid to post pictures, just to tell you it says

'Ban pre-shredded cheese; make America grate again'.

• Like 3
  • Haha 8

21 minutes ago, lincslady said:

That is a nice one, Sophia.  Have just seen one elsewhere, and as I am too stupid to post pictures, just to tell you it says

'Ban pre-shredded cheese; make America grate again'.

Thank you Lola….it used to be quite difficult posting pictures here but it’s very easy now….it has to be if l can do it! 
I’m not very good at directing how it’s done but I’m sure someone here could help 😊

Yesterday my cleaner informed me it is only nineteen weeks until Christmas and she’d already started buying presents…DD called down last night and also informed me that she’d already bought presents…is this the norm these days l wonder…having said that our local eateries are now advertising their Christmas Day menus with quite a lot showing fully booked!! 
Maybe I’m missing something!

😊

1 hour ago, MissSophia said:

Yesterday my cleaner informed me it is only nineteen weeks until Christmas and she’d already started buying presents…DD called down last night and also informed me that she’d already bought presents…is this the norm these days l wonder…having said that our local eateries are now advertising their Christmas Day menus with quite a lot showing fully booked!! 
Maybe I’m missing something!

😊

Just back from a saturday shopping spree in the lovely German town of Waldshut just over the border from Switzerland, and I can confirm that one of my favourite shops just got the Christmas merchandise in. We have over 30 Celsius today, so it seemed unreal. That said, I fixed my X-mas and New Year plans (who of the family will be favoured with my presence this year when😉) early this morning. 2 years ago I "escaped" on a holiday cruise, however karma caught up with me there and sent me a stalker, so I spent quite some time in my suite🤣

• Like 5

Unusual winter Saturday, raining, windy, temperature of 18c, gray skies....the only option is to watch last Olympics all day...

There is a song from Adriana Calcanhoto about Cariocas (those that live in Rio) that says Cariocas do not like grey days....

Cariocas são bonitos, cariocas são bacanas
Cariocas são sacanas, cariocas são dourados
Cariocas são modernos, cariocas são espertos
Cariocas são diretos, cariocas não gostam de dias nublados

Cariocas nascem bambas, cariocas nascem craques
Cariocas têm sotaque, cariocas são alegres
Cariocas são atentos, cariocas são tão sexys
Cariocas são tão claros, cariocas não gostam de sinal fechado

Cariocas são bonitos, cariocas são bacanas
Cariocas são sacanas, cariocas são dourados
Cariocas são modernos, cariocas são espertos
Cariocas são diretos, cariocas não gostam de dias nublados