Questions Regarding Celebrity - Newbie

Nick Needs To Know

Well, it's been 2 years since I've cruised and finally saved up enough to cruise again this year. I'd love to try Celebrity but, I have a few "newbie" questions so please bear with me.

1) I'm looking at the Northern Europe route, looks great but, I'm afraid of the North Sea acting up. How rough can it get in late June/early July?

2) How are the cabins on Constellation - say compared to Carnival or Royal Caribbean? Also, should I splurge on a balcony cabin or will it be too cool to enjoy it?

3) How much more formal would you rate Celebrity compared to Carnival or Royal Caribbean. I don't mind dressing for dinner - my Mother raised me right. What I am asking is that I keep seeing posts that Celebrity is more conservative. Can someone let me know what that means? If it means no hairy chest contest or no burping contests, I know I will be very happy.

4) Ok for a sillier question - may I order more than one appeitizer or more than one entree in the main dinning room?

5) Last but not least, what is the typical Celebrity cruise like? In other words, do you find the crew friendly? Other passengers with manners (the type that don't hold shouting matchs in front of your door at 3AM)? I think you get what I am asking for...at least I hope you do.

Thanks everyone! I've worked hard to earn the money for this vacation and, I want to pick the very best one for me! I look forward to reading what you have to say.

Can't answer all your questions but may be able to help with some of them.

3) No chugging, hairy chest or burping contests and never heard anyone behave in an inordinately loud or rowdy manner. I have never seen a shouting match on X or Princess and the last rowdy cruise we were on was definitely Carnival! If X has the itinerary that you want and a price that you are willing to pay then go for it.

4) You can order as many appetizers and entrees as you like.

5) Staff tends to be a little reserved though always smiling. They loosen up quickly if you are willing to talk to them. Bartenders are reported to be the best. X offers a lot of activities for both fun and education throughout the sea days so never a chance to get bored. If you check out some reviews you should get even more excited!

Have a great cruise!

I'd say book the cruise and have a great time! We're booked on Constellation for July 1 - is this one of the cruises you're considering? We were concerned about the North Sea too but, we figure at worst it will only be for one or two days and we're hoping for the best - literally smooth sailing. Celebrity is like any other main stream cruise line when it comes to the dinning room, you may order more than one entree, appetitizer, etc.

As far as formal, I think I understand what you're asking and my answer is "yes" but, certainly not stuffy. Passengers tend to be slightly older, a little more educated, and a bit more well traveled than the other cruise lines you mentioned (of course there are exceptions but I am speaking in general terms). Also, you won't find as many annoucements and no silly contests (like the ones you mentioned) on a Celebrity cruise.

We debated about a balcony cabin and decided to book it anyhow, if it's too cold on the open water, it will still be nice to have a balcony when we're in port. It's really a matter of your personal budget, to us, it's always worth it.

Lastly, as far as the crew - yes they are friendly but, perhaps that's what you meant by more conservative. There won't be any dancing on the tables in the dinning room if that is what you are asking :rolleyes:

I hope this answers most, if not all, your questions. Happy cruising!

1) I'm looking at the Northern Europe route, looks great but, I'm afraid of the North Sea acting up. How rough can it get in late June/early July? Not sure about that.

2) How are the cabins on Constellation - say compared to Carnival or Royal Caribbean? Also, should I splurge on a balcony cabin or will it be too cool to enjoy it? The cabins on the Celebrity ships are larger than RCI cabins & they have a lot of storage areas. Never sailed on Carnival, so I can't compare those two lines. We had an inside room and we were very comfortable on Celebrity.

3) How much more formal would you rate Celebrity compared to Carnival or Royal Caribbean. I don't mind dressing for dinner - my Mother raised me right. What I am asking is that I keep seeing posts that Celebrity is more conservative. Can someone let me know what that means? If it means no hairy chest contest or no burping contests, I know I will be very happy.

Compared to RCI Celebrity is more formal. People dress properly for dinner...you don't see jeans in the dining room. When people say Celebrity is more conservative...it means it's more elegant. There's live music in the dining rooms & musical combos playing throughout the ship. You probably will hear classical music on Celebrity. No, you won't see any hairy chest contests, etc. on Celebrity. Instead, waiters serve you sorbet at the pool.

4) Ok for a sillier question - may I order more than one appeitizer or more than one entree in the main dinning room? Yes, you may order as many appetizers, entrees, etc. as you like on Celebrity. The staff goes out of their way to please their guests. Their is a noticable difference in the level of service on Celebrity.

5) Last but not least, what is the typical Celebrity cruise like? In other words, do you find the crew friendly? Other passengers with manners (the type that don't hold shouting matchs in front of your door at 3AM)? I think you get what I am asking for...at least I hope you do. We have only been on the Celebrity Century, but it was our best cruise yet. We are cruising on Celebrity again this summer. On the Century, the crew was very friendly & the service was phenomenal (sp?) The other passengers were very well mannered and so were their children (even though there were very few children on the ship). It is an "upscale" experience from the moment you enter the ship, They greet you with champagne & guide you to your stateroom. No, I don't believe you will hear shouting matches in the hallways. The food was wonderful & there were many dining choices which were all excellent. The entertainment was great also. If you're looking for an "upscale" cruising experience, you will love Celebrity! :):):)

Nick, we did the N. Europe itinerary two years ago on the Constellation and it was one of the best cruises we've ever taken. The Connie is a beautiful ship and this itinerary is one of the best they have. The ports and scenery are spectacular and it's a cruise not to be missed. We did this cruise in mid-July and we had calm seas. The fjords of Norway are really awesome. This is the time of year when you have mostly daylight and I was up at 4:00 am as we entered the fjords. It was almost more than my mind could comprehend, it was so beautiful. If you decide on this cruise you won't be disappointed. I would definitely recommend a veranda. I spent a lot of time out on mine just viewing the scenery. It was cool and fall type clothes were comfortable.

Garry

Archived