Regal Princess -- balcony or minisuite?

sacway

just off the Golden in a minisuite, we are booked for a holiday cruise in december on the Regal, but only in a balcony so far, since the price differential for a minisuite is quite high, I guess because there are many fewer balconies & suites on this smaller, older ship? In your experience, is is worth paying the steep surcharge for a minisuite or suite on the Regal?

It depends on whether or not it’s worth it to you. The minis on Regal Princess are comparable to the minis on the Grand Class – the balcony cabins, while smaller, are larger on Regal Princess than the rest of the fleet. The overall cruise experience on Regal Princess will be very different than on Golden. Whether or not you need to upgrade to a mini depends on what you’re looking for in accommodations…and the importance of your cabin may be different on Regal than it was on Golden because of the differences in the ships.

You are comparing apples and watermelons - it is very difficult to do...

sacway,

The mini-suites on the Regal are wonderful. The sq footage is 366 compared to 323 on the Grand Class. We absolutely loved ours and it is a great lay-out to have friends in for visits. If you can afford it do it! I especially liked the bathroom...so roomy, with marble, and nice tub. (Balconies are quite shallow on the Regal) You will have a wonderful time...she is a great ship.

Thanks for the helpful comments, anyone else?

One reason we are considering springing for the mini is because the Regal is leaving Princess next year so this is likely to be the only time we'll be on this ship. We really loved our mini on the Golden! but have also had great cruises on insides on X and RCI (based on the price, the company, the itinerary, and maybe reasonable expectations). And transiting the Panama Canal is my favorite, so I imagine we'll spend lots of time out on our balcony.

I’ll make one more post just to be sure my message gets across – Regal Princess is totally different than Golden Princess, and depending on what RCI ships you sailed, more than likely totally different from them. Mini or not, the ship is a traditional ship without many of the amenities you’ll find on Golden. That’s one reason she’s leaving the fleet. If you're a fan of big ships and lots of lounges and dining areas and choices, Regal might not be for you.

That being said, I’m a fan of Regal Princess because I don’t mind the differences, but if you are looking for an amenity laden ship, it might do you better to do the Panama Canal on Coral Princess.

... like 'em both ... though wonder how the analogy plays out in ships.

thanks, a lot, bdjam, for elaborating a bit on this, and feel free to say more.

we've been through the panama twice before, both times on the Zenith I think, which is just a few years newer than the Regal.

"big" is a very relative term in cruising, now that there are 3100 pax ships. DH thinks he does not want to cruise Oceania (Renaissance's fleet?) as he thinks 700 pax is too small. I'd probably be fine with them. So we are looking for something in between. Not at all interested in the megaship scene, as for dining, we are just looking for three quality square meals a day. Not lounge lizards, or big on pools. quiet away from the office, interesting ports, and good food, will the Regal's be similar to GP?

... like 'em both ... though wonder how the analogy plays out in ships.

thanks, a lot, bdjam, for elaborating a bit on this, and feel free to say more.

we've been through the panama twice before, both times on the Zenith I think, which is just a few years newer than the Regal.

"big" is a very relative term in cruising, now that there are 3100 pax ships. DH thinks he does not want to cruise Oceania (Renaissance's fleet?) as he thinks 700 pax is too small. I'd probably be fine with them. So we are looking for something in between. Not at all interested in the megaship scene, as for dining, we are just looking for three quality square meals a day. Not lounge lizards, or big on pools. quiet away from the office, interesting ports, and good food, will the Regal's be similar to GP?

Given your thoughts, and your cruising experience, you’ll be fine on Regal Princess. She’ll offer the same kind of experience you had on Zenith, I’m sure. And so, go for the mini. I was upgraded to one on my last Regal Princess cruise and it was wonderfully roomy – more so than the minis on the Grand Class (my experience in a mini was on Star Princess). Sounds like you and I look for the same type of cruising experience.

I found that the quality of food and service on Regal Princess to be top of the fleet – I’m sure you will too.

I was upgraded to one on my last Regal Princess cruise and it was wonderfully roomy – more so than the minis on the Grand Class (my experience in a mini was on Star Princess).

Having not been on Princess before, I'm not sure of the comparison being made. I just booked a mini on Star Princess for the Baltic because it appeared to me to be more like the superior verandas on HAL. Since I'm traveling with a friend, not my DH, I thought it might provide a bit more privacy. Hope I'm not wasting my money.

We have sailed on the Regal and old Crown Princess in a balcony cabin many many years ago. If you can afford the upgrade to a mini suite, then by all means grab it. The difference will be like day and night if you are used to more room in your stateroom.

Minis also include a sitting area whereas the balcony cabins are quite small in comparison.

Gooselace...not wasting your money at all. I have not sailed on HAL so I can't compare but the mini's on the Star is VERY nice. The bed area and sitting area are a bit seperated by the dresser & bar. The closet area affords you a dressing area with privacy by the bathroom. I sailed on the Star with a friend and was very glad to have the extra space.

I really appreciate the very reflective comments! When a person spends 50 weeks a year getting ready for a precious two weeks off (okay, there's a bit of work in here somewhere that distracts from cruise planning) it's great to have a place to share thoughts.

I've found we both spend a lot more time in the cabin when we have a balcony, and on the Golden spent even more time hanging out there, with the extra space. Don't want to get spoiled, then again, maybe I do...

Glad to hear the food and service is tops, have heard that before, but it's always great to have it confirmed.

One more thing, is it common to get upgrades to these cabins? I've thought about booking even with the high price differential because it will be over the Christmas holiday, and I don't like to count on upgrades. I suppose if the price were to drop between now & final payment I can get the TA/Princess updated price.

One more thing, is it common to get upgrades to these cabins? I've thought about booking even with the high price differential because it will be over the Christmas holiday, and I don't like to count on upgrades. I suppose if the price were to drop between now & final payment I can get the TA/Princess updated price.

Mine is the only upgrade I’ve heard of to a mini on Regal Princess. She’s built with only a small percentage of them – not like Golden with a whole deck. If it’s important that you get one, I would book it outright…

Archived