Rec Oct Questions????

BLS

We are currently a group of 13 sailing on the Sept 12 Star Princess Baltic Cruise. We're planning to do the 2 days in St Petersburg with Red Oct (I'm already in contact with them)

My question is about lunch. Has anyone done the suggested Resaurants? If so how was the food, was it worth the time or was it too much time out of your day?

It's also beeen suggested that we just brown bag it from the Ship, your thoughts on that please?

So far I've been very happy with the responses from Red Oct--even got a Christmas card from them and we haven't sailed yet!

Also any hints on where to shop?

Thanks everyone!

We ate at two restaurants with Red October: the food was good and the service fast. RO showed us menus the morning of the first day, and we made our selections, so we didn't "waste" any time waiting in the restuarants.

One of my issues with taking food off the ship and eating in the van is that is doesn't give the guide and driver any break, which I think they deserve. If you bring food for them, how do you know what they would like? And, I think it's stealing to take food off the ship for non-passengers.

I've been flamed on this board these opinions, and I've thought about it, but I still think this way.

We had a gour of 4 in our Red Oct. trip. The wife of the other couple had a severe gasterointerology problem, so to accomodate he, we brougt sandwiches from the ship. One for each of us and then a couple of choices for the guide & driver. We then bought soda'a and coffee's at local kiosks. On one stretch of drive to one of the palaces we ate in the car. Then when we got to our desination, the driver ate since he come with us into the museums anyway. They did bring their own lunches been seemed to like ours better.

It worked out well for us.

Jane

We took the Baltic cruise on the Star Princess last year and also toured St. Petersburg with R/O.

We did a restaurant on the first day with R/O, which we enjoyed. Yes, it did take a bigger chunk of time out of our day than just munching on sandwiches, but we felt that eating some authentic Russian food was a worthwhile experience.

On our second day, we visited and ate with a Russian family. This was the highlight of our entire Baltic trip.

We had a group of 12 and we did not want to take time out for lunch. We brought sandwiches or fruit from the ship and ate on the long drive from Peterhof and Pushkin back to the city. We brought bottled water with us too from the ship.

Archived