Traveling to Tampa by Car - Suggestions for Hotel the Night Before Cruise?

WDeany

We are traveling to Tampa by car from Montgomery, AL the day before our cruise on Dec 2. Can anyone suggest a hotel to stay in the night before so we can be at the terminal on time. Any suggestions for hotels in Tampa would be greatly appreciated. And parking at the terminal? Thanks so much!

We've cruised from Tampa twice driving in from Huntsville. We drive south on 65 through Montgomery. We cut across through Dothan and then pick up 10 a little west of Tallahassee.

We've really enjoyed the valet parking at the port. Your car will be parked within a few feet of the exit from the terminal. Ten minutes tops and your on the road. Costs a bit more but when you're facing a long drive home, you may find it worthwhile.

We've not stayed in Tampa. We drive to near Ocala and spend the night. It's about 90 minutes from there into the port. Worked well for us. You're a bit closer to Tampa than we are here in North Alabama but it might work well for you too. Everytime we've stayed in Ocala, we've been siting in the terminal before 11AM.

Depends on the price range you are looking for the room. With you having a vehicle you can save some money and stay a little bit away from downtown Tampa where the rooms a little less expensive. but if you want and can spend a little more money then I would stay near the port. Great area on the waterway with some very nice hotels. Also look at the Ybor area, great cultural area with a great night life the night before the cruise. If you want a little less crowd, try the Westshore area near the airport. Great shopping area with plenty of restaurants to choose from. But then if your like me and like the water. Think about the St. Petersburg Beach, Clearwater area. I live in that area and it's a beautiful area. it would only take about 30-40 minutes to drive from the beach to the port area of Tampa.

I would suggest finding a hotel that has a "park and cruise" package. I live in Tampa but have done this both times from Canaveral. These packages are a flat rate that include the room, (usually) breakfast, shuttle to/from the port (I LOVE not having to deal with that traffic!) and your car is safe at the hotel parking lot for the duration for your trip. There are many of these in Tampa.

Ybor is a lot of fun, the Historic Cuban Quarter, lots to see and do and a *very* active (and sometimes dangerous) night life. Channelside, which is where the ships port also has some fun shops, some really great resturaunts. The close by downtown area is great too.

Several hotels in the Rocky Point area offer cruise packages including parking and port shuttles - Chase Suites, Hampton Inn, etc. with several nearby dining options. Nice area with Bay views, Good luck! ;)