Upgrade?

babylene

While registering online, I just discovered that on our upcoming Summit cruise to Hawaii, we have been "upgraded" from inside, Plaza deck,midship to outside, Continental deck, third cabin from the front.

The thing that worries me is the motion so far forward...since the Pacific has been rough lately.

Any experiences or comments?

Thanks

Cruised Celebrity many times. Always choose midship cabin, sometimes inside, sometimes outside, depends on the price.

But...the Pacific can be rough. Also, have never been on bottom deck...bottom deck forward...would we hear engines and other noises? Does anyone know?

While registering online, I just discovered that on our upcoming Summit cruise to Hawaii, we have been "upgraded" from inside, Plaza deck,midship to outside, Continental deck, third cabin from the front.

The thing that worries me is the motion so far forward...since the Pacific has been rough lately.

Thanks

If you are that far forward on the Continental Deck you will be category 8 which has very small windows. The cabin may be also slightly smaller than the standard ocean view cabin, as well.

Thanks

Hi Babylene !

Yes, you would be pretty far forward, and your window will probably be a small round window. As for motion, you may feel the motion a little more, being that far forward, than being mid-ship.

If you feel this will be a concern to you, you can always ask your TA to try to get your previous cabin back (or a similiar cabin in your previous category).

I am not saying you should do that, but you have to weigh the plusses (having an outside cabin vs. an inside), and the minuses (lower deck, and far forward). If having the window means a improvement to you, then go for it.

It reminds me of a funny story years ago, where I was upgraded the day before my cruise.... (BTW this is the ONLY upgrade I have ever recieved from a Cruise Line) where I previously had an Outside cabin mid-ship, and I was "upgraded" to a balcony that was the last balcony in the aft of the ship. This was a Royal Caribbean Voyager Class ship, and trust me, it is BIG hike to the back of the ship.

The moral of the story ? An upgrade is not ** always ** an upgrade !

No matter what you choose, Summit is a GREAT ship, and you will have a wonderful time. Please let us know what you decide. Enjoy your Cruise !

Hi Babylene...

On my first two cruises, both on the Summit, we were on the Continental Deck but much further back than your "upgraded room". I loved it! We didn't feel much motion at all in either room. There is a good sized "port hole" type window with curtains on it. At least you can watch the horizon from it. We're booked in a room on Vista Deck, about 12 from the front. We were in the same room one deck lower last trip (on the Millennium) & to be honest with you, I think we felt more motion from being higher up than being closer to the front of the ship. The thing about having an outside cabin is you can tell whether it's day or night easily & it's kinda cool to watch out the window at night for other ships going past and, as a bonus, you can watch your approach to the islands. If it was me, I'd go for it. :)

Dan, so you really think that from inside, Plaza, midship to outside, Continental, forward (third from front) is a "rewarding" upgrade? Have you been in that location? Was it quiet and calm? Remember we are crossing the Pacific and the last and current cruises are reporting rough seas.

"rewarding"...I usually pick the cabin that I'm happy to end up with and never expect and upgrade...so far it's been a reliable system :D .

Can't help you with the cabin situation...I don't seem to be bothered by motion so I don't really care...in my thinking ANY outside over an inside, is an upgrade.

If the seas are rough in the Pacific, you won't escape the roughness anywhere on the ship, regardless of deck or position on the deck. We were in an inside on Summit, Plaza deck, 3046 which is about 4 cabins back from the foreward elevator where we could scoot up to the T-pool and Aqua Spa Cafe, the Bar at the Edge, the theater etc.

We liked the location. And it was a nice smooth ride, but we were not in the Pacific, but Alaska.

I liked the inside cabins which was totally dark so you could sleep at any time, but would not have minded an ocean view, either, pulling the curtain closed. I haven't had an ocean view, only a balcony, and the curtains do cut out light if that is an issue.

If you configure your beds into two singles you will have more access to the window than if it is just above a queen bed. In twin position you can sit on the bed with your feet on the floor and look out, whereas in the queen bed you'd have to kneel on the bed. Your service will be the same regardless of cabin category. I do not think there are any "smaller" cabins. All are 172 sq feet.

Summit is a wonderful ship no matter what your cabin.

We were on sister ship Infinity to Hawaii several years ago, and had VERY rough seas while crossing the Pacific. We were in a far forward balcony cabin on deck 6, and weren't bothered by the motion at all. I agree with Danno that ANY outside cabin is better than an inside cabin.

Congrats on the upgrade!

Well, I just had my original cabin reinstated. It is right behind the main lobby and in the past when others have complained about motion, we have been quite comfortable. We don't mind an inside cabin....inside, outside, it's all the same to us.

Thanks again for all of your feedback....but I had to do what I had to do!!! Someone else will get the upgrade!

• 4 weeks later...

hi again danno.........

i address this to you as i know you will see it........and the book was great !

i hope that you and you wife jill have a fabulous time on century........i returned from a very "bumpy" cruise....sailed 21st jan.......

i hope you get the fabulous upgrade that we did............we have sailed only on horizon previously........so we are on our 2nd X cruise..........

we were booked in cc cabin 1024...........and got upgraded to 1049....which is a penthouse suite.........amazing...........

no idea why us..............never stoppped laughing all week....

allison and chris

Archived