New Years Day 2019 Will anything be open? Plus a few questions/advice needed

KCmomof5

Has anyone been to Curacao on New Years Day? We are going to be in port on New Years Day 2019 on the Freedom of the Seas. Looks like 3 other ships will be in port that day. I contacted a private tour operator and they said that most places will be closed. I have contacted another tour company and I am waiting to hear back from them. The ship is offering excursions. I usually go with a local tour guide but maybe I should book with the ship this time.

Second question.... We have not gone snorkeling before and swimming skills are not great. We would like to visit a pretty beach, see Boka Pistol, the Rum distillery, the floating bridge, and the downtown are for some souvenir shopping. Could we do these without a private tour. The ship is offering an excursion that includes the Distillery and Mambo beach. with drop off at the downtown area for shopping. Any other recommendations? Thanks for any tips or advice.

New Years Day is a holiday here so many places in Punda and Otrobanda will be closed.

Mambo beach is a very calm beach with a barrier wall but is not the rugged beaches you see online.

Not the greatest snorkeling for an experienced person, but may be great for you.

It will be crowded with 4 ships here and it being a national holiday here.

Boka Pistol is in the Shete Boka park on the north/west side of the island, Rum Distillery is closer to the city center on the East side.

A private tour that can be customized may be a good option for you to see the places on your wish list.

Hope this helps.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Forums mobile app

New Years Day is a holiday here so many places in Punda and Otrobanda will be closed.

Mambo beach is a very calm beach with a barrier wall but is not the rugged beaches you see online.

Not the greatest snorkeling for an experienced person, but may be great for you.

It will be crowded with 4 ships here and it being a national holiday here.

Boka Pistol is in the Shete Boka park on the north/west side of the island, Rum Distillery is closer to the city center on the East side.

A private tour that can be customized may be a good option for you to see the places on your wish list.

Hope this helps.

Sounds like Mambo would not be a good choice. We are not looking to snorkel and would like to avoid a beach packed with tourist. We just want to take some fabulous pictures of the water and beach. We have heard that of all the ports...Curacao is a favorite for beautiful beaches. Which beach would you recommend?

I have emailed the Distillery to see if they will be open. Currently our cruise line has the Distillery as an option but the private tour guide I contacted did not think they would be open or that the National Park would be open. Would that mean we could not see Boka Pistol in the Shete Boka park?

Thank you so much for taking time to answer my questions! Getting first hand advice from a local is so helpful....I really appreciate your time!

Sounds like Mambo would not be a good choice. We are not looking to snorkel and would like to avoid a beach packed with tourist. We just want to take some fabulous pictures of the water and beach. We have heard that of all the ports...Curacao is a favorite for beautiful beaches. Which beach would you recommend?

I have emailed the Distillery to see if they will be open. Currently our cruise line has the Distillery as an option but the private tour guide I contacted did not think they would be open or that the National Park would be open. Would that mean we could not see Boka Pistol in the Shete Boka park?

Thank you so much for taking time to answer my questions! Getting first hand advice from a local is so helpful....I really appreciate your time!

I may be biased but yes, the beaches here are gorgeous!

The ones in the West Punt area are the ones that you will want to photograph! Grote Knip, Playa Forte, Playa Piskado (where the turtles are) are just a few.

If Shete Boka is closed, then Boka Pistol is not an option.

You may want to reach out to Gail, she does private photo tours of the island. Super nice woman and extremely experienced and highly recommended.

http://farm5.clik.com/gailjohnson/

I may be biased but yes, the beaches here are gorgeous!

The ones in the West Punt area are the ones that you will want to photograph! Grote Knip, Playa Forte, Playa Piskado (where the turtles are) are just a few.

If Shete Boka is closed, then Boka Pistol is not an option.

You may want to reach out to Gail, she does private photo tours of the island. Super nice woman and extremely experienced and highly recommended.

http://farm5.clik.com/gailjohnson/

Your the best!!! Thank you for helping me out. I will reach out to her. Sounds like just what I am looking for. Thanks again for the tips on the beaches. After reading reviews about the distillery it looks like we could easily skip that and buy a bottle at the pier. Thank you so much!!Dawn

Your the best!!! Thank you for helping me out. I will reach out to her. Sounds like just what I am looking for. Thanks again for the tips on the beaches. After reading reviews about the distillery it looks like we could easily skip that and buy a bottle at the pier. Thank you so much!!Dawn
Happy to help! Let her know Bridget M. sent you!

Enjoy your day on our island and your cruise!