Identication needed to reboard

Kenhel

Please clarify the type of identification required IN ADDITION to the Costa ID card to reboard from a port (on the Magica WC itinerary).

Is the Costa card a photo ID?

We are trying to avoid bringing our Passports on excursions or to the beach etc...and want to know if a drivers license is enough. What is acceptable ID for children?

Thanks,

Helen and Ken

We were on the Atlantica last March doing the Western Caribbean, the first stop being Key West. Even though we left Fort Lauderdale the day before and were still on American soil, we all had to show our Costa Card and Passport to Customs to get back to the ship. As well as a search of our bags.

I have no problem with this, and appreciate the job they have to do.

Happy Cruising :)

We didn't need proof of citizenship when cruising the caribbean. Why would you. Passports are not yet required for these ports.

Pic ID and Costa card was all that we needed. I have a green card and did bring my passport but since we never stayed in any port over 24 hours neither was needed. I always carry my wallet with me and drivers lic. is always there for pic. ID.

Please clarify the type of identification required IN ADDITION to the Costa ID card to reboard from a port (on the Magica WC itinerary).

Is the Costa card a photo ID?

We are trying to avoid bringing our Passports on excursions or to the beach etc...and want to know if a drivers license is enough. What is acceptable ID for children?

Thanks,

Helen and Ken

I wrote to Costa yesterday asking this very same thing--as we have been on about 8+ cruises & have NEVER had to take our passports off ship--although we have NOT been on any cruises since 9-11 happened. I really hate the idea of having to take our passports--am afraid someone might take them--sorta hard to wear while swimming..now is there a folder waterproof just for this? I bet there is..gonna have to go on a hunt for a couple I guess.

One cruise on Princess---we were on our last tour (in MX--we flew into Chizen Ita--sp)--from Cozumel..well at that time it was the OLD airport in ChizenIta after touring the grounds etc--they drove us back to await the plane...now there were no facilites--nothing--no bathrooms etc--no person other than the driver..well it was getting darker & darker--we were afraid we'd not be picked up--this was our last port before returning to FL..of course no passports--as it was dusk--the plane arrived (our ship had been on 1 time & the plane on another--well needless to say the ship waited for us (33 of us--tour from the ship)--of course it was so late we missed early sitting--but they let us eat at late sitting..So funny--all the cabs were waiting for us as we got to the airport in Cozumel...then they drove FAST to the ship landing--as the tides had changed & the ship had to get out of there..very interesting--our tender went up a wave, down a wave hit the ship & they pulled us off..we could hear the fiberglass sounding like it was cracking..Had a great time once we knew we weren't spending the night--could have been interesting without our passports if they hadn't come before total dark--no lights on the strip of concrete. :eek:

So I guess it could come in handy carrying your passport.

We didn't need proof of citizenship when cruising the caribbean. Why would you. Passports are not yet required for these ports.

Pic ID and Costa card was all that we needed. I have a green card and did bring my passport but since we never stayed in any port over 24 hours neither was needed. I always carry my wallet with me and drivers lic. is always there for pic. ID.

I totally agree, the Costa card and picture ID is enough to get back on the ship, and according to Costa below, this will not change until January 01, 2008.

Caribbean Cruises:

All guests must have valid passports (expiring not less than 6 months from the scheduled return date) and all necessary visas. U.S. and Canadian citizens have been permitted to travel on Caribbean cruises with certified copies of their birth certificates and photo identification instead of passports, but this may change so that ALL GUESTS (INCLUDING U.S. AND CANADIAN CITIZENS) MUST HAVE A VALID PASSPORT FOR SAILINGS TO OR FROM THE US AFTER JANUARY 1, 2008. Please visit the U.S. State Dept. website at www.travel.state.gov for more information. Because of the new requirements, guests are encouraged to obtain passports as soon as possible to avoid backlogs.

Naturalized US citizens are advised to carry their naturalization papers. Aliens who are permanent residents of the US must carry their alien registration card and passport. Please check current VISA requirements with your travel agent.

You are responsible for obtaining all necessary travel documents and for complying with Customs and Immigration requirements. Guest with out proper travel documents will not be allowed to board the vessel and no refund of cruise fare will be given to any guest failing to bring such documentation.

Witz makes some great waterproof cases, although it doesn't look like any of these would be big enough to hold a passport. I've seen these at REI, and am planning on picking one up for credit card, cash, Costa card, etc.

http://www.witzprod.com/witzprod/product.cfm

Not sure what REI is??? (perhaps a west coast store?) It doesn't appear that those on that site would be large enough for passports..We sent off EARLY for our passports as they only had 5 months before expiration--so that it best to get new ones..the printing on the new ones sure is small compared to our others. Not sure where Sammamish--but I am origianlly from Bellingham WA..we have a dive shop by us--I may go check to see if they have something that would hold 2 passports.

Not sure what REI is??? (perhaps a west coast store?)

REI is an outdoor gear co-op (camping, hiking, biking, etc). They started on the west coast, but I think they're all over now (but not in Iowa, I guess :) ). They also do a lot of mail order and online, of course. Great stuff.

Not sure where Sammamish--but I am origianlly from Bellingham WA..

Sammamish is about 15 miles east of Seattle. Very rainy here lately, so anxiously looking forward to our Caribbean cruise!

"Sammamish is about 15 miles east of Seattle. Very rainy here lately, so anxiously looking forward to our Caribbean cruise!"

OK--I thought it might be close to Seattle--most likely I have gone thru at some time going over to eastern WA-Yakima. Yep I am looking forward to our cruise too.

Archived