Southern end restaurants NOT AI, to enjoy uncrowded beach?

pmt3

Hi, I have been on tripadvisor and saw a number of restaurants on the southern end of Mahahual that have great reviews, beautiful views but little to no info. on CC. Has anyone been to Yemaya, Sulumar, Maya Luna or any of the other southern end places? Hayha Beach also has fabulous reviews but it is farther south of Maya Chan, so not sure about transportation costs. We would like to spend most of the day walking/ exploring the Malecon but a lounger and snack on an uncrowded beach would be a nice way to end it before heading back to port!

Maya Luna is an eco hotel about 2.5 miles or so south of the malecon. Probably a bit too far for most cruisers. They may have day passes or permit day guests. You would need to contact them. Yemaya is around the same area. Don't know a lot about it except the owner is German and supposedly very friendly.

Restaurant Sulumar is on the malecon south of Nohoch Kay and thus near the end of the malecon. Last time I was by there, it was pretty much standing by itself. Locals like the seafood there and if you use pesos it's a bit cheaper, not that the US$ menu is all that expensive. They do have palapas and some loungers. Not a bad place to stop at the end or turnaround for your walk.

We called in Luna de Plata (just beyond the malecon) and Sulumar last time we were in Costa Maya. We enjoyed them for a drink but not sure most people would like them and Beach didn’t seem too good but to be fair it was raining! Sulumar was busy with locals as Crew says, not sure many cruisers!

I think Yemaya May be worth trying but I would contact before going as Mitsugirly reported a while back that the owner was working at Blue Kay while Yemaya was renovated and I don’t see any very recent reviews. I think you would need to check on transport too as return may not be easy.

Ever heard of Hayha, where is it?

Thank you, I would like to explore outside of the touristy area, but afraid of getting stuck without transportation. I'm used to uncrowded beaches where I live in Florida...although the water looks beautiful in Costa Maya, congested loungers are of no interest! Anyone know if Nohoch Kay Beach Club allows drop in or is it all AI only?

Thank you, I would like to explore outside of the touristy area, but afraid of getting stuck without transportation. I'm used to uncrowded beaches where I live in Florida...although the water looks beautiful in Costa Maya, congested loungers are of no interest! Anyone know if Nohoch Kay Beach Club allows drop in or is it all AI only?

Never been to Nohoch so cannot comment.

I would suggest Blue kay at the northern end for quieter. It is PAYG but the only issue there seems to be their random initial fee.

If it doesnt suit quite easy to walk the length of the malecon looking for an alternative.

NoHoch is AI only through Island Marketing, I believe.

But try Sulumar if you want an uncrowded non-AI southern beach. They'll call you a taxi when you're ready to go. Same as all the other clubs.

Also look at Blue Kay. It's at the very northern end has a separate entrance for taxis (but not the tram from port), nothing near by. No or few vendors walking by.

Just looked up reviews od HayHU and I agree looks very nice.

It is south of Almaplena, which some cruisers do go to but is AI. You would probably take the same route as to Almaplena which means taking the more major road inland and then cut back to the coast. Hayhu looks to be as far to the right at the end of that road as Almaplena is to the left. I havent seen any cruiser reviews about there and most on TA seem to be from land vacationers but if you could arrange return transport looks possible. Unfortunately their website seems to be down so contact may be difficult.

It may be more what you are looking for but transport may be an issue.

• 1 month later...

Not sure if you still want to know about Nohach Kay, but we went there a few years back.  At that time you could book the all inclusive (which we did) and we definitely also saw many people stroll up and enjoy lunch at the restaurant, have a drink on the beach if lounge chairs were open, then stroll off.  They seemed to do a decent business with non-cruise folks so I can't believe they'd close that option down.  I would imagine it is the same today --- definitely Tropicante is a good choice for a non-all inclusive stop too.