Egypt Nile cruise questions

jayl65

Hi everyone, My partner and I are considering a trip to Egypt and Nile cruise in 2007. We will be 41 and 39 when we cruise. I have looked at Advantage and GCT which seem to offer the most value for the money. Uniworld also offers a package but it is their first year this year on the Nile. I like the GCT package best, both for the price and the itenerary. How will we fit in on this tour? GCT is geared for 50 plus passengers. Are the tours paced really slow? Which company would be recommened? My sister is a new travel agent and can book us on Uniworld. Advangtage and GCT are privately owned and don't work with agents. Who has the best ships, value, hotels, tours,and food? Any input would be greatly appreciated. Jamie

Dear Jamie: We are going on Grand Circle in May of this year for the Egypt Nile Trip. We were on the Danube River Cruise in December with Grand Circle. I was very impresed with the way Grand Circle handled everything. I think you will find a variety of ages and all of them seemed very energetic. The pace was not slow. The food and the Program Director was great. We enjoyed our guides so much. Everyone on the ship was very accomodating. I would be happy to post my reactions to the Egypt Nile trip on my return. Happy Sailing, Joy

• 2 weeks later...

Jamie,

We have done several cruises with Uniworld and Avalon (Globus), but chose GCT for Egypt after a friend went and recommended it highly. And from what I could determine, GCT had the best value (although they want to charge $500 to fly from St Louis to JFK, and we have never had to pay more than $200 supplemental in the past). GCT has been doing this tour for years, so they have expierence, good ships, etc. My friend said the pace was not slow, but not strenuous either. All river cruises cater to an older age group because they are a more relaxed, and mabey upscale, way to travel, but don't let that stop you.

Sea cucumber....we were on the Road to Mandalay on the Iriwaddy in Burma last February. Our boat got stuck on a sand bar. we got off fairly quickly but had to evacuate the boat or go back down river to Bagan as the river was too low to go upstream...This happens on Rivers..

Archived