XUNANTUNICH vs. LAMANAI

AKfamily

We will be cruising to Belieze City at the end of February with our 10 and 13 year olds. We plan to book an excursion via Carnival to some ruins. My son and husband are very into history and mythology, and we live in Alaska, making this very different from what we see on a daily basis. I am weighing the ruins with the bus-only ride against the one with the bus to the river boat. We want to get the most time at ruins to explore, and see the country along the way. Both seem to be about the same overall length. Which will give the most bang for the buck, and make us feel like we got to know a little about life in Belize?

We've been to both and prefer Xunatunich. My perspective may be tainted by the fact that we had a private tour for Xunatunich and it was just the five of us in his van, so we were able to just freely talk to him and laugh and cut up all the way there and back. I thought the grounds there were very nice, much like a state park would be here in the states. They had nice clean bathrooms with toilet seats and tp! LOL The museum set up was nice and modern the grounds were clean.

For Laminai, we were on a huge ship tour with lots of people and on a big bus. Then yes, it is about an hour by boat to get to the ruins. We saw lots of wild life and the set up and grounds was nice there too. Meals on both trips were Belizean chicken, rice and beans and other sides and both were very good and tasty. Good luck with whatever you choose!

As I recall, the grounds at Lamanai are less excavated. Thus more "jungle" feel, which many people like. The boat ride is a boat ride. Just setting a better mood for the tour.

As SchoolNurseMom says, Xunantunich is more like a state park. You can climb a really high temple and see across to Guatemala. IMO, the plaza grounds are probably closer to what they looked like when inhabited vs Lamanai.

If a boat trip is of interest Carnival may offer the River Wallace tour to Altun Ha. Boat up, bus back. It's closer to Belize City, smaller than Xunantunich, but equally as excavated and clean.

Leaves more time for other things.

As I recall, the grounds at Lamanai are less excavated. Thus more "jungle" feel, which many people like. The boat ride is a boat ride. Just setting a better mood for the tour.

As SchoolNurseMom says, Xunantunich is more like a state park. You can climb a really high temple and see across to Guatemala. IMO, the plaza grounds are probably closer to what they looked like when inhabited vs Lamanai.

If a boat trip is of interest Carnival may offer the River Wallace tour to Altun Ha. Boat up, bus back. It's closer to Belize City, smaller than Xunantunich, but equally as excavated and clean.

Leaves more time for other things.

You can also climb a pyramid at lamanai up above the Treetops

We did the one with the boat ride that ends up at the ocean and you can see manatee heads popping up. Plus, we had a dolphin following our boat in the river for a lot of the ride, so that was really cool. I really enjoyed the boat ride, especially since the bus ride was long and uncomfortable to get there in the first place. The boat was a much better way to travel back!

• 4 weeks later...