Is this a crazy idea? Flight to Caye Caulker...

sid_9169

I had an excursion booked with Coral Breeze to Caye Caulker while in port from 8:00-5:00 ship time (6:00-3:00 Belize time) They have cancelled my tour due to me being the only person booked as of now (16 days until cruise)

I began looking at options, including the water taxi. The Caye Caulker airstrip has just finished renovations, and Tropic Air has resumed flights as of a couple of days ago. Here's where it gets a little crazy: The outgoing flight leaves Belize Municipal at 7:25 am Belize time (9:25 ship time) and returns to Belize municipal at 1:25 (3:25 ship time) and I would need to catch a cab back to the tender port to make my return to the ship. Is this the craziest plan ever?

As a back up plan, I have looked into flights from Belize International to Miami, and they run around $150 one way... Worst case scenario, I get left behind by the ship and have to fly back to Miami in time for my flight back home to ATL...

Edited by sid_9169

Those flights should work but I’m pretty sure Tropic runs flights both ways all day. My personal experience was that I missed the early flight since we didn’t get anchored on time and the tenders ran late. The return flight should be fine. Take your passport and cash with you either way.

I had an excursion booked with Coral Breeze to Caye Caulker while in port from 8:00-5:00 ship time (6:00-3:00 Belize time) They have cancelled my tour due to me being the only person booked as of now (16 days until cruise)

I began looking at options, including the water taxi. The Caye Caulker airstrip has just finished renovations, and Tropic Air has resumed flights as of a couple of days ago. Here's where it gets a little crazy: The outgoing flight leaves Belize Municipal at 7:25 am Belize time (9:25 ship time) and returns to Belize municipal at 1:25 (3:25 ship time) and I would need to catch a cab back to the tender port to make my return to the ship. Is this the craziest plan ever?

As a back up plan, I have looked into flights from Belize International to Miami, and they run around $150 one way... Worst case scenario, I get left behind by the ship and have to fly back to Miami in time for my flight back home to ATL...

ambergris key is a much more popular destination and you can fly there as well and much less likely you would have any tour cancelled.

• 1 month later...

Just a quick update to this... I did end up making my flights to and from Caye Caulker... I managed to get on the first tender to shore. I made a B line through the terminal out to the street, and quickly found a cab to take me to the Belize Municipal Airport. Once checked in, I had about a 20 minute wait until my flight, and soon I was landing on Caye Caulker. They called me a cab (golf cart) and I headed straight to Errolyns for fry jacks... The only downside to my day were the biting flys that swarmed about wherever there was no wind. I ended up buying some insect repellent at a local coffee shop that worked pretty well, but not great. Another thing. I guess it's the low season there, as many of the restaurants were not open at all, or only for dinner. I was hoping to find someone grilling up lobsters on the roadside, but it was not to be found. I ended up having lunch at a place called Chef Juans. Fried whole fish with rice and cole slaw. It was decent, but I was hoping for lobster. I made my flight back with no problem, and quickly found myself back on the tender to the ship. 

Glad your trip worked out!  We loved our visit to Caye Caulker.

We were on Caye Caulker last Wednesday (10/17) and had grilled lobster that was fresh from the ocean.  We had 11 people booked and had our own boat with Coral Breeze.  All of the cruise ship excursions were cancelled that day because it was supposed to rain, but it was a beautiful day with not a cloud in the sky.  The island was very quiet so I can see how there might not be any people grilling on the roadside.  Our boat pulled up to a Island Magic Restaurant and we placed our orders and then left to go snorkel and when we got back they had our lunch waiting for us.