HELP! QM2 Translatlantic nearly sold out

tartegnin

We've been trying to book the July 18 sailing and can't believe that in the few days we've been thinking about it, nearly all the cabins are sold out. Only a few left in Queen's Grill and lowest inside cabins. We were hoping for A1 or Princess Grill. Any ideas how to get cabins on a sold out sailing? I haven't found the refund policy yet - is there some magical date after which deposits are nonrefundable, and on which people who booked but aren't definite might cancel and make some cabins available?

Is it usual for such a big ship to sell out six months ahead of sailing?!

Any suggestions appreciated!

The penalty period begins 90 days before departure, so some more availability might open up at that point... But that would just be good luck.

If you really want to take this sailing, I'd suggest you book now. If you book an inside and something opens up in the balcony or PG categories, you can always pay more to move up. If you book nothing and wait, you could wind up with nothing.

And no, it's not usual for most ships to fill up this far in advance but I don't think it's that terribly unusual for QM2. She is a very popular ship and mid-July is absolute peak season for Atlantic crossings.

The penalty period begins 90 days before departure, so some more availability might open up at that point... But that would just be good luck.

If you really want to take this sailing, I'd suggest you book now. If you book an inside and something opens up in the balcony or PG categories, you can always pay more to move up. If you book nothing and wait, you could wind up with nothing.

And no, it's not usual for most ships to fill up this far in advance but I don't think it's that terribly unusual for QM2. She is a very popular ship and mid-July is absolute peak season for Atlantic crossings.

try contacting the largest of travel agents as they on occaision buy blocks of rooms. good luck

HuH??? may have been a gremlin in the system. There is plenty of space... and if there wasn't Cunard would have recalled my unsold group space.

With Cunard, your best bet is to always call an agent for availability.

HuH??? may have been a gremlin in the system. There is plenty of space... and if there wasn't Cunard would have recalled my unsold group space.

With Cunard, your best bet is to always call an agent for availability.

must you give up the group space if you anticipate booking it??? just curious if cunard can demand return of space yet unsold!!! thanx jim

I see from above post from Colin_Cameron that on the UK website you can see what cabins are still available. Where on the website, and I wonder is it the same on the US site? I'd just like to check the sailing we've booked...partly to see what our current opportunity for upgrade looks like. Thanks much!

Frances

I'd just like to check the sailing we've booked...partly to see what our current opportunity for upgrade looks like. Thanks much!

Frances

What kind of situation suggests an upgrade might be possible? If all the M grades are sold out, or if they aren't?

Not that I am getting my hopes up, being as there are 3 of us in a cabin, but we will be celebrating our 21st wedding anniversary ;)

must you give up the group space if you anticipate booking it??? just curious if cunard can demand return of space yet unsold!!! thanx jim

Generally speaking, if an agency has group space blocked and they haven't sold all of their cabins by about 6-5 months prior to departure, the cruiseline recalls all unsold space. If there are no deposits on the cabin.. it goes back to Cunard. They can recall earlier if there is great demand on inventory or if the agency just isn't selling.

Once in a while, a cabin within a group will cancel after the unsold space has been taken back. This doesn't happen very often. But what we do, is try to resell the cabin pdq we don't cancel the booking.... just do a name change... take a new deposit and then refund the old deposit.

Right now group space has been recalled for April. May group blocks are still being sold.

... on the UK website you can see what cabins are still available. Where on the website, and I wonder is it the same on the US site? ... Frances

Apparently it's not yet available on the US site and I'm not sure if it only shows those cabins allocated to Cunard UK to sell.

Go to cunard.co.uk

click on "How to Book" (about the middle of the page)

To book online "click here" (near the top)

"Book Here" (at the bottom of the page)

either search for your cruise or enter the voyage number

enter no. of passengers

if it gives you pre/post cruise packages just click continue

under each category you can "view available staterooms"

It only seems to show a max of six so you won't know how many are available, just that there are six or more.

Regards, Colin.

Thanks so much for all the help. After really mooching around, we managed to get an A3 cabin confirmed - I know I can't mention agencies here, but I was super impressed with two agencies that really seemed on the ball - just wished I could book with both of them! (Just in case you think I'm being unfair, one of the agencies told me no availability early on, but came back to me later - apparantely, they had kept tracking availability, which I didn't know, so I kept in touch with the other agency, which had told me they were getting me on a wait list, and that came through confirmed just two days before the other agency re-contacted me with availability - I don't want you to think I was wasting people's time!)

Archived