scooters & tenders

DRS/NC

Just wondered if anyone can help. I'm trying to find out when P&O first implemented the rule that you can only board a tender if you can step unaided over 18 inches and also step up/down 8 inches unaided.

it has been in place for at least two years. I had a knee issue and wore a brace. I was asked to demonstrate that I could “jump the gap”

I have said that I cannot see Princess 'guaranteeing' that passengers can take a scooter on tenders.

I don't recall saying there was a guarantee, I just said certain scooters fall within the guidelines, I've and others have seen them on tenders, and there were a few posts in a row saying that's impossible.

Of course passengers should consult with the crew in advance on getting said scooters on a tender. Of course they need to be mobile enough to get on off the tender. Of course they may have to wait until the crowd has subsided. It very likely may be that they don't get their scooter taken ashore in any or all tender ports - but it certainly is not 100% impossible.

OP: Rent the scooter for the good ports and embarkation/disembarkation and getting around the ship and take the opportunity to take them ashore by tender when able.

I'm not exactly sure what you all are arguing with me about.

PS: we have one of the smaller scooters and it fits through all doorways and fits in the closet of a standard stateroom. We've never tried to take it on a tender, but might try...

I have never been denied entry to a tender with my wheelchair folded and secured. As to the difficulty of getting aboard or ashore, who among us has not had some difficulty in rough seas regardless of the prime state of their physical health? That is why they have so many crew members attending to the operations. On some occasions the boarding appears to be that of a large group of drunken sailors...

I have never been denied entry to a tender with my wheelchair folded and secured. As to the difficulty of getting aboard or ashore, who among us has not had some difficulty in rough seas regardless of the prime state of their physical health? That is why they have so many crew members attending to the operations. On some occasions the boarding appears to be that of a large group of drunken sailors...

I think that we can agree on that while some cruise lines (P&O?) are stricter than others, Princess

tries to accommodate folks with mobility issues, but leaves it up to the folks afloat at that moment.

I hope wind and wave would figure into the decision.

So... If on Princess you have a better chance of being transported by tender if you wish, but do NOT

count on it if the tender port makes or breaks your trip.

Fair 'nuff?

Concur. As I mentioned I am always assisted aboard by one or two. I have no mobility issues. I have frequently heard them ask people with those issues not to attempt tendering due to danger. I have been on more than 35 cruises and seen Canes and half walkers but never wheelchairs or scotters

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I'm not sure I get these flat statements when 2 of us on this thread have stated that we have observed scooters being loaded on tenders. The one I saw was one that weighs about 80 pounds, 2 crewmembers loaded it with ease.

In reading the policy that is well within the 50 pounds individually lifted.

Of course the passenger has to have enough mobility to get on and off the tender without the scooter and with the chop, and likely have had consultation with the crew as to whether certain ports ashore would be reachable by scooter after leaving the tender.

I would day that the 80 lb. scooter you referenced was the one I saw in Santa Barbara last Tuesday. It did have a small battery pack. Despite the deck hands attempts to securely bungee cord it to the railing, there was some movement to it. He held it in place to make sure it didn't come loose.