Wine at dinner

MostlyHarmless

First cruise coming up soon (Pride, 2/19). I like to have a glass (or two) of wine with dinner, but my DW does not. I'm no connoiseur, so I can always find something I like in the limited offerings "by the glass" in terra firma restaurants. Is wine by the glass available in the dining room, or will I need to buy (or bring) a bottle? What is the price range like? I would hate to be forced to finish a whole -urp!- bottle.

This is a great question (and one I wouldn't have thought of since I don't know the meaning of "left over wine") :D !

However;) ... sometimes I want white and DH wants red.

This cork and save thing would be ideal!

This board just keeps getting better and better!

Thanks again! :D

I am a "Wine-r"....I have done both the glass and the bottle. At dinner I would prefer to select a bottle and have it corked and brought back the next night if I did not finish it. Carnival has a wonderful wine list which I enjoyed reading and selecting from.

If I got a bottle at dinner which I did not finish they would re-cork it and tag it for me and the next night when I arrived it was ready and waiting for me at the table.

They will also save any wine you bring on board with you in the same fashion. Beware-you may/may not get charged the $10 corkage fee. ;)

You can also take the bottle with you if you want to consume it in your cabin after dinner. I don't think we were supposed to, but we took what was leftover in our glasses from dinner, and enjoyed them with a nice cigar on the Sports Deck (well, SO enjoyed the cigar).

I've never been charged a cork fee either (for bringing my own bottle to the table). Fully expected to pay it, tho. Maybe cuz we ordered other 'drinks' at dinner, they let us drink our own wine with no extra charge:D Doesn't hurt to flirt with the waiter and 'wine guy' (I can't remember what you call him);)

I think you call him "wine guy", or "sommelier" if he looks French. How much does a decent bottle of wine cost onboard? On land, I usually figure I'll pay 3 or 4 times the wine store price if I order at the restaurant.

This really seemed to depend on the particular wine. I would say that on average the wine on board cost more than what I would pay in a wine store but still less than a restaurant in my area. I really enjoy very nice wine and typically ordered a good bottle of Italian varieatl or French varietal or California Cab. I was pleased with the selection and that was worth it for me! I ordered a Chilean Cab by the glass (although I did not see that one the wine list I saw at webshots) by the name of Caliterra (??). It was actually the least expensice Cab by the glass and VERY GOOD.....I typically have a few Chilean Cab's (such as Los Vascos which is partly owned by Lafitte Rothcschild) that I purchase which are much less expensive than California or French Cabs and drink like I spent a lot more!

In the Carnival Gifts section I found the wine to be about average in price. We had been to the west Coast earlier in the year and visited a particular winery and the wine was no more expensive on the ship than it was AT the winery! We particularly enjoyed the idea of it being chilled and ready for us at dinner and then corked and tagged for another night. Will probably do the same thing for our next cruise!

Wines by the glass on the Conquest when we went, ranged anywhere from the $4 range to the $10 range depending on vintage, vintner, etc.

When dining at the fancy Point restaurant, we got a $39 bottle of Shiraz which was delightful, but many of the wines (read: almost all of them) were well over the $40 mark for a bottle.

We did not buy a bottle in the dining room to be able to comment on price, but some other folks at our table did and I think there were a few wines in the $30 per bottle range.

Considering the most expensive bottle of wine we've bought recently was about $20.00, the cost of wine by the bottle was significantly more than we would have paid at home.

Wines by the glass on the Conquest when we went, ranged anywhere from the $4 range to the $10 range depending on vintage, vintner, etc.

When dining at the fancy Point restaurant, we got a $39 bottle of Shiraz which was delightful, but many of the wines (read: almost all of them) were well over the $40 mark for a bottle.

We did not buy a bottle in the dining room to be able to comment on price, but some other folks at our table did and I think there were a few wines in the $30 per bottle range.

Considering the most expensive bottle of wine we've bought recently was about $20.00, the cost of wine by the bottle was significantly more than we would have paid at home.

Next time check the Carnival Gifts list. It has the prices right there and I also think it depends on where you live. Pennsylvania has a State controlled store system and all our prices are much higher than neighboring New Jersey or Delaware!

Next time check the Carnival Gifts list. It has the prices right there and I also think it depends on where you live. Pennsylvania has a State controlled store system and all our prices are much higher than neighboring New Jersey or Delaware!

That may very well be true. We felt that $25+ for a basic California white wine (bottle) was a little expensive off the Carnival gifts list.

But then again, we live in Oklahoma where half the state is dry and the other half of the state is alcohol-regulated. If we didn't live on/near Tinker AFB with access to the Class Six Shoppette (read: military convenience store w/liquor store) we wouldn't even be able to buy some types of alcohol or non-3.2% beer.

(It seems the fine men and women of this country's military are entitled to the right to purchase inexpensive alcohol, as long as they do it on federal property.)

When we first moved to OK, my hubby went out (in a rain storm) to pick up a 6-pack of beer, a bottle of wine, and a couple other little things I needed. Rather than drive "all the way" to the base Shoppette, he stopped instead at a local state-sanctioned liquor store because he thought it would be quicker, and less driving in the rain. $25 later, he came home with a bottle of California white zinfandel (not even a high dollar one) and a six pack of Samuel Adams beer.

The bottle of wine was $17. This is a bottle of wine I would have paid $9 for in Arizona before the move at a grocery store (can't buy wine at grocery stores here) and $7 for on the base. The beer, because it is above 3.2%, was considered an import and was $8 for the six-pack. Stang was instructed that from that point on, it was ALWAYS worth it to drive the extra distance to the Shoppette. :D

But on the other hand, I bought a bottle of Rancho Zabaco heritage vine zinfandel for $14.50 on the base the other day. We saw the same bottle at World Market in San Antonio over the holiday for over $20. So we get some good deals.

Harmless (mostly):D - The wine list for a bottle in the dining room starts at $23. I have brought my own to dinner - never charged the corkage fee - and also bought a coupla bottles in the dining room during the cruise. I'd say the average bottle costs around $30, which is much more than liquor store prices here.

It's a nice thing to walk into the dining room and see your bottle of wine sitting in a cooler at your table the next evening. I like that they do that.:)

My husband and I usually sit at a table for 6 and make new friends when we cruise. We also like to order wine for dinner. My question is - do you usually order wine and then share with your tablemates or just drink it yourself? I feel kind of awkward not offering a glass to the others but my dh and I can easily drink a bottle by ourselves with a 2 hour dinner. Just curious what ya'll do.............

Well, my mothers is chea - I mean she is FRUGALE.:rolleyes: Therefore she ALWAYS brings her own stash of wine. I bought a bottle of one of my favorites Pouilly Fuisse (sp??) on the Esctasy last year for $40. It runs around $20 at my grocery store.

I don't mind bringing my own bottle to the table, tho. I'd rather spend my $$ in the SPA:D I did this electronic body wrap thing that was totally awesome (and a little kinky:o ).

It's just a personal choice, I reckon.

I'm still in the process of reading your review of your Conquest Cruise, Sablerose. Sounds like a fantastic vacation!!

When we were given a bottle as a gift for our special occasion, we shared with the table. But otherwise, we didn't feel pressure to share or anything. I don't think anyone is going to expect you to share, so you should feel comfortable having your own wine for yourselves!

My husband and I usually sit at a table for 6 and make new friends when we cruise. We also like to order wine for dinner. My question is - do you usually order wine and then share with your tablemates or just drink it yourself? I feel kind of awkward not offering a glass to the others but my dh and I can easily drink a bottle by ourselves with a 2 hour dinner. Just curious what ya'll do.............

LOL one of the advantages to freestyle or PC cruising where you don't have to sit with others, but in answer to your question it is customary and perfectly acceptable to order wine for your party only and your table mates should not expect you to share it. Nor should the person serving it automatically pass it round without your say so.

That being said you can certainly offer it around, but if you don't don't expect others from the table to do the same. They may but don't expect it.

No, you aren't expected to share your wine with your tablemates. I've never offered to do that, or been offered anybody else's wine.

Like Sable, I think if a bottle were to be sent to your table by someone, it would be a nice gesture to share.

I agree...It seems to be perfectly customary to not offer to share your wine.

As a "Wine-r" one of the things I really enjoy is drinking it with another person. It is all part of the joy of wine for me - reading the wine list(or hunting around in the store), selecting the bottle, sipping it and talking about it. For me a bottle of wine is an "experience" and another person is a big part of that. So....I will often offer a glass to my tablemates as I travel alone.

On my upcoming cruise I will actually be sailing with another adult (my BF) and I will not feel as if I have to offer wine to our tablemates. I am going to play it by ear. I suppose I will be more inclined to share certain bottles over others!

In 2004, I bought a bottle of Twin Oaks, Zinfandel for $22, I think it's gone up a few dollars since then. I have also developed more of a wine sense since then as well, but that was definitely the cheapest bottle I saw on the wine list at the time (I like sweeter wines, blushes included).

DBF brought 3 bottles on board in 2005-he shared 2 with our tablemates, but small glasses for them, just to taste. There was 1 he had been saving for a year to try just on the cruise, which we drank ourselves. :D

Archived