Naples - Private tour with Marcello

posted 05-10-04 11:49 PM

A warning about Marcello's private tour in Naples to the Amalfi Coast.

This was the most disappointing and expensive tour we had on our recent Med cruise.

Buyer Beware!!!

With all the wonderful reviews of Marcello we were shocked by our experience.

We were 3 couples shaing this tour.This is what you will get for your money:

A taxi driver who is very enthusiastic - about himself! His English is hard to understand and he only talks about how popular he is and how stupid his fellow countrymen are. We were in horrible traffic from the Naples port which he says is everyday now.

After an 1 1/2 in the van with 3 stops for photos we arrived at his family's restaurant. You will pay 30EU in addition to his driving fee for lunch. How many people in the best of places pay that much for lunch?

The view was wonderful but the food was very overrated. I have had much better in South Florida. The best was the dessert. You don't have to go to this restaurant but he has built his tour around it primarily and he rests on his laurels from earlier tours. We learned nothing about this area and spent most of the day in his van. He drops you at Pompeii where you pay another fee for a guided tour and he has coffee for 1/1/2 hrs.

He discouraged us from stopping in Sorrento and didn't give us any opportunity to shop the whole day ( ladies didn't like that!). We spoke to others on our cruise who loved Sorrento and had a wonderful time there.

Really try to make a clear choice about this private tour. You may be better to take a ship's tour here if it is your first time in this port or take the hydrofoil to Capri and a taxi ride to Pompeii or the train if they aren't on strike.

Eileen

Eileen, your opinion is noted. Thanks.

It sounds like you haven't had much experience with Italians. icon_smile.gif This sounds very typical to me. However, I am taking the tour with a few other females and we will ask for what we want to see. Whatever it is will be fine.

BTW, I hate to shop!

Splendour of the Seas - Med

June 19, 2004 from Barcelona

Eileen,

Did you just return or was this an experience from last year?

1952 - Excalibur (freighter)

1972 - Song of Norway, Caribbean

1980 - Hawaii American Curise line, Tahiti

09/01/2002 - Veendam, Alaska

05/29/2003 - Pacific Princess, Alaska

11/26/2003 - Star Princess, Australia/New Zealand

5/28/2004 - Star Princess, Venice to Barcelona

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ff00ff&cdt=2004;05;28;21;0;00&timezone=GMT+0100

11/06/2004 - Diamond Princess, Mexican Riviera

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=00ff00&cdt=2004;11;06;17;0;00&timezone=GMT-0800

For those of you who are booking private tours for the first time, perhaps a little clarification would help. A tour driver and a tour guide are not the same. It is to your advantage when booking a private tour to be sure that you understand the difference and know in advance what you are paying for. A tour guide has a license, usually issued by the state / country. He or she has attended school to learn all about the sites you will see. A guide is permitted to go into the historical sites with you and tell you about the history. Naturally, their services will cost more.

A tour driver is not licensed, has not attended "guide" school, and is not permitted inside the site to tell you about the history. Naturally, their services will be more economical. Many drivers are just as well versed in the area history as the guides. The difference of course is that they have to tell you the facts before you go inside. Those of you who have read our webpage review know that Mike and I have had some excellent results using drivers, as well as guides. There is absolutely nothing wrong with using a driver. Just know what you are getting. DO YOUR HOMEWORK.

jewel.gif

6sneezflwr_rita.gif

See our reviews and pictures at Mike and Carol's Website

Costa Classica 3/94

Celebrity Mercury 4/98

Carnival Destiny 4/99

Crown Princess 7/01

Norwegian Star 11/01

Grand Princess 12/01

Sun Princess 3/02

Celebrity Constellation 11/02

Brilliance of the Seas 6/03

Navigator of the Seas 11/03

Jewel of the Seas 06/04

Tahitian Princess 02/05

This has me very upset. I have booked with Marcello's other driver Adriano and I WANT a good tour! I will be sure to have him stop in Sorrento! Thanks for the heads up! Peg

To The Med. on Galaxy

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2004;06;21;19;00;00&timezone=GMT+0100

Our driver was Marcello who had been emailing us for several weeks. We returned last week from our cruise. I was so excited about this tour before we got to Naples.

We are very experienced travellers and yes, I do know the Italians.

I worked for the US State Dept and have travelled all over the world.

Italy is my husband's favorite place to visit and we went to Positano on our honeymoon.

I really was expecting more than we received. I like to know everything about the place we visit in the short time we have in Port.

The shopping wasn't so much of the issue but we paid 500 EU ( 3 couples) and the cost of the lunch and the cost for Pompeii and all we got basically was a driver for the day who told us

very little.

For anyone who wishes to read about Marcello, I would suggest that you take a look at his website at http://www.seesorrento.com/chi_sono_eng.html It shows a picture of him as well as a picture of his “taxiâ€. As he told us, he holds a taxi driver’s license because that allows him to park in places that he would not be allowed otherwise. His bio clearly states, “I'm working as a chauffeur…†In fact, I count three different places in which he says so. To us, it was very clear.

Even here in the States, if you hire a driver to show you around a city, you don’t expect them to pay for your lunch. You don’t expect them to pay for your entrance into a site. Even guides don’t do that, unless it is clearly stated as included in their advertisement.

As for the fees, Marcello’s charge is based upon how many people are in the group. He quoted us rates for two, four, and six. Of course, the more people the higher the price.

He also gave us a choice as to restaurants, and of course we chose the one he recommended. We were not disappointed. Thirty dollars may be a lot for lunch, but it’s not too much for the fabulous six course meal we ate. That $30 also included all of the wine, cokes, and after dinner liquor that we wanted. Our meal was so great that Mike took pictures of the food and you can view them on our website (link below my sig.).

After twenty plus years in the business of driving people all over Italy and Southern Europe, Marcello is well versed in its history. He told us about every place we went, and he stopped at any place we wished, as well as places he knew we would want to take pictures.

I can only speak about our own personal experiences, and say that we found him to be charming, punctual, courteous, and professional. As I have stated before, do your homework and you will have a wonderful time.

jewel.gif

6sneezflwr_rita.gif

Costa Classica 3/94

Celebrity Mercury 4/98

Carnival Destiny 4/99

Crown Princess 7/01

Norwegian Star 11/01

Grand Princess 12/01

Sun Princess 3/02

Jewel of the Seas 06/04

Tahitian Princess 02/05

Carol, I have to admit that the naysayers are scaring me. I recruited six other women to take this tour with me and I would be so worried about disappointing them. I hear what you are saying; however, if others feel they were not satisfied, that makes me have second thoughts. It is a lot of money.

I have e-mail the others to see what they think about the new information. I want everyone to have a great time and feel they got what they paid for.

We have another alternative if we decide to cancel with Marcello. I just want to make the right decision for everyone.

Thanks for your opinion as well, Carol.

There were other cruisers who booked thru Marcello and got his friend Adriano. They loved him. His English was better, he was not negative about his Region of Italy, they went to a different retaurant and had a lovely lunch and time to walk around and see the area.Their lunch was about 11 EU.Their experience was much diffeent than ours.

Sometimes peoiple with a good reputation start to get a swelled head and rest on their laurels. I think this is what happened to us.

Mike and Carol were there last year - we have just returned. We booked based on their wonderful review.

The restaurant is owned by one of Marcello's cousins and was empty except for our group.

Maybe the chef had a bad day or food supplies

were difficult to get.

If dining for several hours is what you want to do during this port day then the views are worth the trip, I guess.

I like to get around and see things besides sitting in a van and sitting at a restaurant.

The only real sightseeing was in Pompeii.

As Carol says - do your homework - read reviews and get good guidebooks or online travel websites.

If you need more info please email me at ECBoca2@aol.com and put Naples in the subject area.

Bon Voyage!

Moondawgie,

Eileen is correct in what she is saying. It all boils down to what you want and what you are expecting. If you have looked at several different people's opinions, you have studied the guidebooks to see what is availible, and you know what the driver offers, you won't be disappointed.

As for our wishes, we told Marcello that first we wanted to see Pompeii, and then we wanted to see "his Italy". We had seen enough touristy sites; we had done enough shopping. We wanted to do more of a "behind the scenes" type of thing for a change. That is what we asked for, and that is exactly what we got.

Decide what your group expects, exactly what you want to see, what you don't want to do, and spell that out for whichever driver you hire. If you can do that now in your email exchanges, your driver will be able to tell you if he or she can deliver. Whatever you decide to do, I hope you have a wonderful cruise.

jewel.gif

6sneezflwr_rita.gif

Costa Classica 3/94

Celebrity Mercury 4/98

Carnival Destiny 4/99

Crown Princess 7/01

Norwegian Star 11/01

Grand Princess 12/01

Sun Princess 3/02

Jewel of the Seas 06/04

Tahitian Princess 02/05

I would like to add that 600 Euros for six people is a bargain if you compare it to the same itinerary for the ship tour. I looked at the Princess Deluxe Amalfi Coast Drive: Positano And Ravello tour which would be comparible, except they don't do Pompeii, and it is $299 per person. With lunch and Pompeii, the private tour ends up being at least $100 per person less.

1952 - Excalibur (freighter)

1972 - Song of Norway, Caribbean

1980 - Hawaii American Curise line, Tahiti

09/01/2002 - Veendam, Alaska

05/29/2003 - Pacific Princess, Alaska

11/26/2003 - Star Princess, Australia/New Zealand

5/28/2004 - Star Princess, Venice to Barcelona

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ff00ff&cdt=2004;05;28;21;0;00&timezone=GMT+0100

11/06/2004 - Diamond Princess, Mexican Riviera

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=00ff00&cdt=2004;11;06;17;0;00&timezone=GMT-0800

We did this trip last summer and had Adriano as our driver. He was just wonderful and we couldn't have had a better day. He was totally up for anything we wanted to do and all his suggestions were right on. If and when we go back we would surely hire him again. He's a delighful man. (sings opera for you too). As others have said, if you do your homework and know what you want and what you can get, you won't be dissappointed. We hired "drivers" for every port and it is up to you to establish what you will see and do. We saw much more than anyone taking a ships tour. We wouldn't do it any other way. Ohhhh, the restaurant was delightful too.

Marilyn

I think the Amalfi Coast/Pompei is one of the best tours in the Mediterranean and apart from Pompei it is really a scenic driving tour which after Museums,Churches,Monuments,Piazzas etc.. is a welcome relief and the natural beauty of the Amalfi Coast is something to behold. We have returned on many occasions and simply love places like Positano,Amalfi and Ravello and as someone commented it is not the great race.We have toured twice with Salvatore of DriveAmalfi (*****) and specifically used him due to his calm,relaxed manner,and as a native of Amalfi,his superb local knowledge.I doubt that many will have a bad day on the Amalfi Coast.

Mike

Well, I'm getting alittle scared also. We have booked Marcello for our July cruise. Does anyone know if I can email Marcello back and specifically ask for Adriano. I don't want to cause any problems-maybe I should rebook with Driveamalfi. Any suggestions? thanks Kathy

Now I'm confused. icon_confused.gif I e-mailed the other women who were going to tour with me to see what they think. I hate to be responsible for what happens.

I should know better by now after reading all the reviews that everything is subjective. icon_eek.gif

We (along with one other family) have this tour booked for June. I have been looking forward to this tour the most because Marcello has been so pleasant in his emails (even long after we reserved) and because of how gorgeous the area is.

Eileen~ Sorry to hear you had such a horrible experience! icon_eek.gif I appreciate your comments on the tour, as it's always interesting to hear other peoples' perspectives.

Moondawgie~ As far as our tour goes, there's no way I'd cancel. I've read many more positive reviews about Marcello than negative. There will ALWAYS be those who don't like certain tours, specific cruise lines, ships, etc. In fact, if you do a search, you will find negative reviews posted on just about every driver/tour guide (Marcello included) named on this site.

I love that this board provides an opportunity to voice so many different opinions. I plan on taking the tour so I can form my own...I promise to post them when I return. icon_wink.gif

My husband and I recently returned from a cruise to the Mediterranean. After reading these posts, I felt incited to write my review of Marcello, who I also booked as our "tour guide". I expected to get just that...a guide, but instead I disappointingly found out I got the services of a taxi cab driver...and an expensive one for that matter. My husband and I shared the tour with two other couples, which cost us a total of 500 Euros. There also was the cost of the restaurant which was 30 Euros per person. This all translates into a per couple cost of 227 Euros or about $284.00. I was quite unimpressed with the restaurant; and as far as I'm concerned, I feel we could have gone to a much nicer restaurant with much better food for what we paid. For most of the 9 hour tour,we were either in the van or at the restaurant. I don't mean to be a "nit picker", but I expected more from a guide than what we received. If we didn't ask questions about the places we were passing while driving, we would have been given almost no information at. Instead of explaining the sites, Marcello seemed more interested in praising himself, and at the same time, belittling everyone else. Nine hours is a long time to hear anyone talk about themself, especially when you're expecting an informative tour. Marcello did also bring us to Pompeii, as he promised; however he was not allowed to accompany us into the site since he wasn't a licensed guide. I wish I knew this beforehand. I understand that everyone has different interests and is looking for something special in a guide. I just suggest that if you're "shopping" for a guide, you should do your homework, and if you take everything into consideration that you have read, you're more than likely to get someone worthwhile. I do want to add, that the Amalfi Coast is beautiful, so bring alot of film with you. For those out there preparing for their cruises, "Bon Voyage & Good Luck!"...Eileen (N.J.)

Eileen Unold

Eileen,

were you in the same group as the Elaine who started this message thread? I'm just wondering if this was one experience shared by the same group, or two separate tours? Thanks, Beth

Eileen, we're practically neighbors. I live in northern Ocean County.

In Marcello's e-mails to me regarding a Naples tour in June 2005, he specifically stated that we could hire a tour guide for Pompeii for 1-1/2 hours for an additional 100 euros. In reading his website, I also understood that he was a driver, not a tour guide. That being said, we have decided to use another company for our tour out of Naples, mainly because we are already booked with that company for another tour and partly because of recent comments on these boards.

It's difficult to be fully prepared for your experience with a private guide/driver because some things won't be known until you actually begin the tour -- like the driver's personality. I guess we can only do so much homework and then hope for the best. I think it's very helpful that posters provide their opinions -- good or bad -- to help the rest of us get a better idea of what we can expect. So thanks to everyone who takes the time to post.

Karen

6/5/05 Brilliance Mediterranean roll call

Infinity in... countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2004;12;5;21;00;00&timezone=GMT-0800

Brilliance 6/05

Infinity 12/04

Brilliance 2/04

Adventure 11/03

Brilliance 2/03

Grand Princess 3/02

Dawn Princess 11/01

Ocean Princess 5/00

We will be using Marcello on June 5 and I will certainly post our experience. More than once, he has emailed me to explain the use of a guide in Pompei.

He has been nothing but wonderful in correspondence so far, I am hoping the experience described above is just a fluke.

Carnival Jubilee 5/94

Disney Magic 5/01

Star Princess 5/03

Carnival Conquest 12/03

RCCL Brilliance 5/04

Marilyn, to tell you the truth before coming to this site I didn't even know there was a difference between a driver and a guide. This is why I started another thread about Marcello -to read about people's personal experience.

This IS my homework.

I certainly didn't mean to offend you, just meant that you really have to do alot of research and be aware of what you're paying for. We felt drivers were the smartest way for us to see the most in the alloted time and it was wonderful.

Marilyn

Archived