Please help me make my mom happy!

jodiwinn

First of all.... try to remind everyone in the group to not sweat the small stuff. Your ability to not get stressed and flustered will help Mom. If she thinks you are having problems, I'm going to bet she will be upset. Water on a duck's back.

Second, don't try to do everything. Given her issues walking, maybe try to do things "along the way". Or work a section of the ship at a time; some time in the sports area to watch the kids do their thing, some time in the Solarium , some pool deck time, Boardwalk time, etc.

Maybe give her chances to have special meals with groups, like the kids/grands(?) for breakfast in the MDR one day. Plan some special memory times with chunks of the family(s). Maybe a special girls time at the spa. Mani/pedi for all, followed by smoothies or chill time in a bar (including Shirley Temples).

I agree with the idea of photo packages. She will love having pictures to show everyone back home. Maybe even a special family photo opportunity, either hire one of the photographers for some pics or make sure everyone is getting pics taken with her, either professionally or by the shutterbug in the family.

Great ideas...now to get the family to cooperate! ;p;p;p

I love all of the suggestions here. Does she happen to have a rollator walker? It would be nice to have either that, or a wheelchair along "just in case" the walking gets to be too much for her. It's better to have something along and not need it, than to need something and not have it. Cherish every moment, and get lots of pictures. I can't tell you what those memories mean when you hit the point where she can no longer cruise. I had hoped for one last cruise with my parents this past April. Unfortunately, they had to cancel for health reasons.

Before my mother started taking our family, my in-laws used to take us. Unfortunately, they are unable to make it anymore which is so sad. I wish my mom would be open to a wheelchair, but she doesn't view her walking as an issue and I'm afraid of even suggesting it!! I agree with you though. It would be great to have it "just in case".

Jodiwinn, lots of the advice given here is good. One thing I'd recommend to promote group harmony is that everyone be free to do what they want during the day. If everyone wants to go on the same tour, great, but if people want to go in different directions, then let them.

Among those going, I'd assure that at least a couple of people stay with your mother if everyone else if off doing something else.

The main thing to do is to make sure that there is one time during the day where everyone gets together. That may be during dinner or for a show.

This way, everyone can enjoy the trip but the family will still have time together during certain parts of each day.