Recommending a great Skagway tour for families

Quince

We had a great tour in Skagway last week, and I want to recommend our guide. Her name is Raymie E, and I booked her through the Tours by Locals website for Skagway.

There's really only one road you can take out of Skagway, so if you want to see more than just the town, you can take the train over the pass or go by bus to see the attractions. Or you can book Raymie's 14 passenger Ford van and be able to stop whenever you want and stay as long as you want. We visited the Suspension Bridge over the river, a dog sled camp, Emerald Lake, and then had multiple photo stops. My favorite stop was when we stopped at one of the numerous waterfalls by the road and Raymie collected the glacial water, filtered it, and then provided it to us as drinking water for the rest of the trip. My second favorite stop was our picnic by a lake, with food we'd bought at the suspension bridge cafe.

In our group we had a 9 month old, a three year old (both with car seats), and 7 adults. There was plenty of room in the van for all the jackets, diaper bag, snack bag, etc. We were also able to stay longer at some of the stops to give the 3 year old a chance to run around.

Raymie has been in Alaska for 20 years, so she has great stories about her time there and the history of the Gold Rush out of Skagway. We also enjoyed her stories about what it was like to live in Skagway after the tourist season ends.

Also, if your group is 4 or less, you can rent a jeep for $302 for the whole day and drive into Canada up highway 98 (Klondike Highway) for a DIY tour. http://www.diyjeeptours.com/

Also, they are taking reservations now as some are not, like the train to Bennett Lake. Another factor is that both Radiance of the Seas AND Ovation of the Seas will be docked the same day for us. That's like 7,400 folks in Skagway the same time. Yikes!!

• 4 months later...
On 9/27/2018 at 2:14 PM, Quince said:

We had a great tour in Skagway last week, and I want to recommend our guide. Her name is Raymie E, and I booked her through the Tours by Locals website for Skagway.

There's really only one road you can take out of Skagway, so if you want to see more than just the town, you can take the train over the pass or go by bus to see the attractions. Or you can book Raymie's 14 passenger Ford van and be able to stop whenever you want and stay as long as you want. We visited the Suspension Bridge over the river, a dog sled camp, Emerald Lake, and then had multiple photo stops. My favorite stop was when we stopped at one of the numerous waterfalls by the road and Raymie collected the glacial water, filtered it, and then provided it to us as drinking water for the rest of the trip. My second favorite stop was our picnic by a lake, with food we'd bought at the suspension bridge cafe.

In our group we had a 9 month old, a three year old (both with car seats), and 7 adults. There was plenty of room in the van for all the jackets, diaper bag, snack bag, etc. We were also able to stay longer at some of the stops to give the 3 year old a chance to run around.

Raymie has been in Alaska for 20 years, so she has great stories about her time there and the history of the Gold Rush out of Skagway. We also enjoyed her stories about what it was like to live in Skagway after the tourist season ends.

how much did it cost per person?

It was $800 for the day for the guide and her 14 passenger van.  So if you filled every seat, it would be about $57/person.  If there were only 4 of you, it would be $200/person, but you'd have lots of room to spread out.😀