Accra Beach

debbiewp

Just returned from 11-day cruise on Princess Star...after much research and based on the recommendations fromthe boards, we decided we wanted to go to Accra Beach and eat at the Sugar Reef Restaurant. Unfortunately, the taxi drivers at the pier decided that they did not want to take us there. Not only were we quoted several different fares for the six of us to get there, we were repeatedly told that we DIDN"T want to go there (they all said it was "too rough''). Most just walked away from us after discouraging us from going there, one said he would take us but took off to find other passengers - and he never returned to us...it was a nightmare. In the end, we basically could not find anyone who would take us to Accra, and ended up (in desperation to just get to a beach at this point) hopping in a van to the Blue Monkey. Not our type of beach...we wanted something quieter and had no need for all the water sports/hawking that was going on there. We did get to snorkle out to the turtles, but having done that last year on the Silver Moon, we really didn't even need that. So I guess if anyone wants to go to Accra, you will have to be more persistent than we were (or luckier). The whole experience at the pier with the taxi drivers has left us not caring whether we ever go back to Barbados again...otherwise, we had a great trip and great experiences at the other islands (including the taxi drivers!) based on the advice from these boards. Debbie in Delaware

We are planning on going to Accra in June. I hope we have an easier time. I have never been to an island where the taxi driver would not take us where we wanted to go.Once, the taxi driver did try to talk everyone into going to a certain, better beach instead of the one they we were headed to. I guess I will have a backup beach in case we can't get to Accra.

I would appreciate any other info like this.. Obviously this doesn't make me very happy.. and regardless of whether it was rough or not, it's where you wanted to go. beside.. rough at Accra is a "relative" term.. meaning, rough is never as rough as the east coast or some other places I've ever been too.. besides if you have just returned and you are saying you went there on your cruise in the last 11 days..I've been to that beach in the last 11 days and don't recall much "roughness" going on at all. maybe a little pull here and there, but.. and enough of a small swell that you could actualy boogie board, but.. rough?!?!?!?!?!

Ok.. here is the deal.. Next time anyone has a problem about where they want to go by the taxi's in the port at Barbados, and are talked into going somewhere else, take the guys name and let me know. I'll have a word with the Taxi Association and find out whats going on.

Sunniebgi

Hi,

We went to Accra beach a few weeks ago. There were 4 of us. We were asked where we wanted to go by one taxi driver, who said ok, then ran off and we didn't see him again!

We asked a few others who told us to go over to the big van that says TAXI on the top...!!!! They all did! How rude!

Anyway, we were a bit annoyed by the lack of help, so we decided to walk out of the gates where there were a few small taxis waiting. We asked the first guy we saw and he said 'yeah no problem' so we got in and asked why no one else wanted to take us there. He said they all want the bigger tours etc, rather than a small drop off.

He too said that we should go to a different beach, i can't remember the name of it though. He said Accra was rough, and this other beach wasn't, and it had a restaurant on the beach etc etc (everything that Accra had) I said we want to go to Accra as it had been recommended to us (off of this forum)! He wasn't too happy, he said 'all tourists come to the island and have a name of somewhere in their head that they want to go as they think it will be good, but they need to listen to us, we live here, we know the good places to go' I told him this beach had been recommended to us by someone who lives in Barbados, he then shut up, and said 'ok, i'm taking you to Accra' we tried to ask him why we should go to the other beach, and also asked where it was, but he just said 'no, i'm taking you to Accra'

Anyway, we went to Accra Beach and it was lovely, we went down by Sugar Reef Restaurant, and the sea was calmer there, a few waves, but not what i would call rough!! The food at the restaurant was really good, no complaints at all. I'm glad we stuck with it and went to Accra, i was having doubts in the taxi, as he really wanted us to go to the other beach! It would have obviously made him more money, thats all i can think of.

So, don't settle for another beach if you really want to go here. Someone will take you.

It cost us $40 return (4 of us)

He turned up for our return journey no problem, and was happier on the way back!!

Strange!

I am sure that some of those guys get kickbacks from places that they take people too. It's done all over the world.

And yes, please feel free to tell them you have a friend in Barbados who has recommend a particular beach and thats where you want to go. Accra isn't the only one I recommend, but its the one I go to every weekend.

Hi Perky1

Yes we had drinks at the restaurant too. We had 1 fish burger with fries and coleslaw, 1 club sandwich with fries and coleslaw, and 2 bottles or corona, the total price was $26

I think the drinks were only a couple of $'s

We found it very very reasonable.

We are used to paying £4.00 (around $8) in England for a cocktail, but in the Caribbean we were paying $3-$6

You can get the local beer/lager for next to nothing

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry - I didn't read this thread before I went to Barbados and I just posted this information on another thread:

Watch out for dishonest cab drivers/the ones that are the arrangers for your driver when you first walk out of the terminal. They tried telling us that we didn't want to go to Accra - "it's too windy". Instead they told us they'd take us to Tamarind Cove (I think) for $15 round trip each. We had more than one of those pushy guys tell us this. We just kept on walking until we found an honest driver who told us that the reason that they push you to go elsewhere is because the other place is an easy drive for the driver and they don't have to take you through town. The honest driver took us for $5 one way and then we found another driver to bring us back for the same amount.,

I hope you can talk to the Taxi authorities and bring this to a halt

I'll try to call around today and see who to talk to about this situation.

I went past the Blue Monkey yesterday and was actually on the Beach at Paynes Bay. Unfortunately (to my sorrow), the sea was a bit rough yesterday there, so couldn't swim.. probably would have if more people had been around.

But also found too many beach vendors, chairs etc. on that beach. Really too bad cause Paynes Bay (at the Coach House) is one of my favorite stretches of beach).

We took Serenade of the Seas to Barbados in the beginning of January and went to Accra Beach. We had no problem having a taxi driver take us. Accra is actually the resort where the beach is. There is a public beach that is right next to it which is actually where we went but I forget the name of it. We paid $10 for two beach chairs and had a really nice time. The water was beautiful and the weather was perfect.

Yes, I think that it is actually Rockley Beach but the drivers will know what you mean when if you say Accra Beach. There's a little food court area and then some vendor stands at the Rockley Beach parking lot. There's also bathrooms and outdoor showers. If you walk a few yards down the beach there's the beach area behind Sugar Reef restaurant. Umbrella and chair rental was easy to come by. We had a very nice day there. Some of the crew from the ship said that they go to the Boatyard because after you pay the "entrance fee", you get that amount in a credit for towards food and drink.

The whole stretch of beach is actually listed as Rockley Beach, but most people (locals that I know) call it Accra Beach because of the hotel name. The area down by the Sugar Reef is more known as Rockley beach than any other part of it ( I think because thats where the people from Rockley Resort were always bused to go to the beach).

Yes the boatyard charges an admission fee but you do get it back in Drinks. The beach is still public so anyone can use it, they just can't use the amenities provided by the Boatyard.

Just back from Rockley beach. Although some would call it Accra, that beach is actually in front of a resort but are really one in the same. The taxi drivers did not want to take us either and actually lied to us and said that there weren't any bathrooms or places to rinse off. He did take us though because we were adamant about going. The beach was lovely. Fine white sand. Chairs and an umbrella set us back $20. There are lots of little places to eat right across the street. The water was warm, but with too many waves for snorkeling. All in all a great place and WE will definately return. P.s. we were never bothered by any vendors.

I too would like to visit Accra/Rockley beach from the cruise dock,but as it seems taxis do not want to go there. My question is can you get public transport to Hastings or somewhere near to the beach I don't mind a good walk. I think this question has been asked before but no one ever replies.

I too would like to visit Accra/Rockley beach from the cruise dock,but as it seems taxis do not want to go there. My question is can you get public transport to Hastings or somewhere near to the beach I don't mind a good walk. I think this question has been asked before but no one ever replies.

Thankyou.

• 3 weeks later...

Not sure about public transit to Accura Beach.....BUT as for walking I would think it is way to far for that. We were just there 2 weeks ago, and booked a nature preserve and beach tour excursion from the ship.....Accura Beach was were we where taken.....we just LOVED it....was a bit rough with a few waves but made it fun:)

Can anyone answer whether we can get public transport to Accra beach

THankyou kindly

-----------------

Rockley is a couple of miles SE of the terminal.

You can walk to the Fairchild St bus station (abour 1/2 mile) and take a # 12A bus to Worthing/Hastings. Cost: $.75US. They run every 30 minutes....or....

Proceed out of the Gatehouse to Princess Alice Hwy and catch a Minibus or a ZR (private transport). Cost: $1.00US/pp. You won't have to wait long!

The folks at the Gatehouse (last exit of the port) will tell you where to walk.

Very good, reliable public transportation on this island.

Archived