Mini suites on the Gem

MLA

Hi. Sailing on the Gem in January on the 19 day Panama Canal Cruise from LA to NY. A friend and I have booked a mid ship balcony room. If and when we receive an invitation to bid on an upgrade, what are the thoughts on the mini suites? For such a long cruise (19 days) I figure a bit more space would be nice. But while speaking to an NCL customer service person today she mentioned that there might be noise from draining the pool which they do in the middle of the night. Hmm! Anyone have experience they can share about noise? That would be a deal breaker for me.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

OP: unless I could pick the location *very* carefully, I would never book a cabin on Deck 11 of the Gem, as that Deck is under the very noisy public areas of Deck 12, including the pool. Check out the deck plans. (Unless I'm mistaken, if NCL accepts an upgrade bid offer, NCL picks the cabin, right? That's essentially booking a guarantee cabin, something I personally would not do. Others are willing to gamble.)

Poster April above is correct about the tub/shower combo -- it's a high tub and tough for short people, as well as anyone with mobility issues, knee problems, etc., especially when the ship is rockin' and rollin'. And, as a bathtub, imho the tub is really too narrow for most adults. Might be good for the kiddies.

We did a full transit of the Canal in the winter of 2017 on the Jewel, Miami to LA. It was a great trip. I hope you enjoy yours as much as we enjoyed ours! (And I hope you've read The Path Between the Seas!)

We actually bid on a Mini Suite on the Jade and got it. The only noted difference was the bathtub and as mentioned by Turtles and April, it is high and ours was slippery!

The location was not as good as our previously chosen balcony room. I will not be bidding on any future upgrades.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On ‎1‎/‎6‎/‎2019 at 1:33 PM, PJTM said:

Was there coffee pots in the mini suites and if so what type?

I would love to know this.  Just booked a ms on the gem quite far out and haven't been in anything lower than a suite in several years, so being a cruise snob am a little worried lol... also reading that deck 11 is bad, now I am worried, as she put us in 11060.... thoughts anyone?

40 minutes ago, browniegirl said:

I would love to know this.  Just booked a ms on the gem quite far out and haven't been in anything lower than a suite in several years, so being a cruise snob am a little worried lol... also reading that deck 11 is bad, now I am worried, as she put us in 11060.... thoughts anyone?

Hi Browniegirl......it looks like you have the pool deck bathrooms above you.,,,,,,I doubt that will give you any noise trouble.....Im on deck 11 as well but a few doors down on a different cruise date,,,,,,(beneath the Garden Cafe).....Im sure we both will be good noise wise.....Have a wonderful Cruise!

Edited by Moonglo
  • Like 1

We were in mini suite 11080 on the Gem a couple of years ago.  Yes the shower was a high step to get into, but the extra space was nice. I do not recall any noise from above. The balcony was big enough that I was able to request a lounger from the steward!  I am just tall enough that the railing is at eye height when sitting in the regular balcony chairs... the lounger solved that problem for me!  There was a single cup coffee pot in the cabin. Enjoy your cruise!!

edited to correct my error on the type of coffee pot!

Edited by df5250
  • Like 1

On 1/6/2019 at 1:33 PM, PJTM said:

"Was there coffee pots in the mini suites and if so what type?"

This a photo showing the single serve drip coffee pots that are typical in NCL min-suites.  They stock 2 regular coffee pouches and 2 decaf pouches each day. If you want more just ask your cabin steward.

58127-1450896269.JPG

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Moonglo said:

Hi Browniegirl......it looks like you have the pool deck bathrooms above you.,,,,,,I doubt that will give you any noise trouble.....Im on deck 11 as well but a few doors down on a different cruise date,,,,,,(beneath the Garden Cafe).....Im sure we both will be good noise wise.....Have a wonderful Cruise!

Thank you, you as well!!!!