Uniworld Excursions

RiverCruiseKim

Hi Everyone,

We are taking our first river cruise on the Rhine from Basel to Amsterdam in October 2018 with Uniworld aboard the SS Antoinette. We are so excited and have been trying to research everything we can, but I can't seem to find an answer for a question I have about excursions. I am unsure of how the procedure works for the included excursions. Do you sign up for them once aboard? Is there a limit to the number of people for the included excursions so that if you don't sign up for your pick quick enough you may have to just take what is left? I saw there could be limits for the optional ones you pay extra for but not sure about the included excursions.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help with this!

Kim

You do sign up once onboard, mainly so they know how many people will be going on each excursion. There is no limit on the included excursions. There were only a few optional excursions, and only the cooking/tasting ones had a small number, that you could get shut out of (12 pax) I don't think that was an issue on our cruise, and don't know if anyone even did these. Both the Black Forest and Heidelburg optionals had plenty of participation, and plenty of space for everyone.

Here's a link to my trip report. We had a great time!

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2479562

Robin

We just returned from the Uniworld cruise (Castles of the Rhine) and had a wonderful time! The cruise director describes the excursions before dinner the first night, but it's probably a good idea to do some research before hand (read the reviews of the S.S. Antoinette on Cruise Critic). Then they give you a form to complete regarding your desired excursions. There might be capacity limits on some excursions - bike tours (limited number on board) and some of the excursions with an extra fee, however, it did not seem to be an issue on our trip.

Thanks so much Robin! That is what I thought that there was no limit to included excursions, but I couldn't find confirmation on that anywhere. I read your trip report a few months ago - thank you for such wonderful pictures and detail - it made me that much more excited to go!!

Thanks skinnylegs, I'm so glad to hear you had a wonderful time on Castles on the Rhine! We leave October 14 and can't wait! We have done research on the excursions and have already decided what we would like to do, but it is very helpful to know the procedure on board so thanks. :)

Most of the time they just need to know how many guides or busses are needed. In the case of bike rides or similar events there could a limited number of bikes or spaces available.

On the first evening when your cruise director goes over the list, and you know what you want to do, stop by the front desk on your way to dinner and let them know. That way you'll be organized and at the top of the list.

Have a great time. The Antoinette is beautiful. Not my taste, but maybe my great aunt Nettie used to to have a chalet decorated like it. 😉

RB

Just one more validation on the excursion question. I was on the Antoinette Sept. 9th and we signed up for the excursions as soon as the CD described them. I think everyone was able to take their desired excursion. I have done many ocean cruises ,but this was my first river cruise. I absolutely loved the whole experience. Was surprised how much I enjoyed my cabin as I thought the decor would be over the top. Boy was I wrong...... so cozy and different enough from my home to make it a true holiday experience. The food was good and all the excursions top notch. Enjoy your cruise .

The Antoinette was our first river cruise and still our favorite. I just wanted to mention to not miss the Vinegar tasting excursion. I almost talked myself out of it because it didn't sound that great to me. But it was probably one of our favorite excursion. Everyone I talked with felt the same and quite a few people who didn't take it were quite sad they didn't as they heard us rave about it.

Just one more validation on the excursion question. I was on the Antoinette Sept. 9th and we signed up for the excursions as soon as the CD described them. I think everyone was able to take their desired excursion. I have done many ocean cruises ,but this was my first river cruise. I absolutely loved the whole experience. Was surprised how much I enjoyed my cabin as I thought the decor would be over the top. Boy was I wrong...... so cozy and different enough from my home to make it a true holiday experience. The food was good and all the excursions top notch. Enjoy your cruise .

So glad you enjoyed your first river cruise and the Uniworld decor:D I assume you were able to sail the entire route? Was Daniela still the hotel manager on board during your cruise?

Robin

The Antoinette was our first river cruise and still our favorite. I just wanted to mention to not miss the Vinegar tasting excursion. I almost talked myself out of it because it didn't sound that great to me. But it was probably one of our favorite excursion. Everyone I talked with felt the same and quite a few people who didn't take it were quite sad they didn't as they heard us rave about it.

I couldn't agree more! I still have some bottles to use, and the vinegar glass I bought. Warning to others though......expect your spouse/s.o. to smell like vinegar....even after a shower. The "fragrance" seemed to last about 24 hours!

Robin

So glad you enjoyed your first river cruise and the Uniworld decor:D I assume you were able to sail the entire route? Was Daniela still the hotel manager on board during your cruise?

Robin

Yes, we were able to sail the entire route. The swimming pool was emptied one day to make the ship lighter , but refilled the next day. I think our hotel manager was a gentleman. Can’t remember his name , but I enjoyed him as well as Ingrid the excursion manager.