NYC Hotel Near Pier

Bermudamal

Does anyone have a recommendation for a hotel near the NYC pier. We are trying to decide whether or not to come to NYC a day early to avoid the stress of travelling on our departure date. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

We always go 1 - 2 days early to take the stress out. It seems to make a huge difference. I am looking at different hotels right now for the NYC port. I will let you know what I find. I am trying to decide if I want to stay a night or 2 and leave my car there or leave it at the port. This is our first time being able to drive to a port so we are unclear of the advantages of the port parking vs hotel park and ride.

You are not going to find a hotel that will let you leave the car at the hotel (even paying) while you are on the cruise. Most hotels lease parking space and it is very limited parking and it is expensive.

No reason whatsoever to stay near the pier. It is in a dismal location with nothing around.

I suggest mass transit into Manhattan (LIRR, NJTransit, Path) and cab it to the pier.

What is your budget for hotels? Hotel rooms in Manhattan are some of the most expensive in the world and they are averaging an astounding 90+% occupancy rate.

An average hotel room in Manhattan will cost you around $250 per night and depending on the week and time of year, don't be shocked at $300.

Also keep in mind that rooms that sleep four aren't as common as they are everywhere else.

Start with the Affina.com properties. They are nice and centrally located.

Thank you all for your input. We are trying to decide whether to fly in from Boston on the morning of the cruise (Jet Blue has a great price to JFK) or to come in the day before and stay in a hotel. Any idea what the cab fare would be from JFK to the pier or to a hotel in the mid-town area?

Thanks again.

Marilyn, I recently stayed at "The Belvedere" on 48th Street. This 'lit hotel is not a luxury hotel, but, quite nice and we enjoyed staying there. Actually I think it's a "business man's" property. Very reasonbly priced......excellent location and faily close to the Cruise Pier. The Bell Captain was excellent!

Happy Sailing,

MB

Cab fare from JFK is a flat rate. It just went up and I believe it's $35.00 plus toll ($4.00) and tip ($6.), so about $45.00.

The fare has actually gone up, and is currently fixed at $45 + tolls + tips.

I highly recommend flying in the day before... you can never control airfare delays and/or cancellations (especially with JetBlue which doesn't code share with other airlines, so if their flight is cancelled they won't necessarily put you on the next flight out... only the next flight out on their airline).

A few years ago we were cruising out of Vancouver and flying in the day before from NYC. The plane was severly delayed due to mechanical trouble and a part needed to be flown in from another airport (and the part failed, so a second part had to be flown in).

There were other cruisers on the plane who were embarking the same day of the flight, and by the time we took off, there was no way they were going to make it to the ship in time.

Lesson learned from others: Whenever possible, arrive the day before your cruise.

A few years ago we stayed at the Comfort Inn Midtown on West 46th for 2 nights pre cruise. It's right off Broadway near Times Square. Room was kind of small but that was okay as we were out alot sightseeing. Lots of places to eat too. It was then a short cab ride down to the pier. Sorry but I can't remember how much it cost us.

They also had a luggage room to hold our luggage since we arrived very early in the day and couldn't check in yet.

They also had a continental breakfast to start the day.

We probably paid around $185 a night. Cheap compared to alot of other hotels we looked at. Manhattan is expensive!

Thanks again everyone. My head is starting to spin. I think after reading all these posts that arriving a day early is the best thing to do. Are any of the hotels mentioned in this thread within walking distance to the pier? We were caught up in a line of traffic in 2003 trying to get into the drop off spot at the pier for quite a while and would like to avoid this by walking to the pier if possible (thank goodness for luggage on wheels!). I know, I'm probably dreaming, but a decent hotel very near to the pier would be a blessing. Then, we could liesurely have breakfast and wander around a bit before heading to the ship. Thanks again for all your input.

Are any of the hotels mentioned in this thread within walking distance to the pier?

Again, you don't need to be near the pier, nor is it a recommended area to stay... there is nothing in the area.

If traffic is a concern you could always just take the a taxi 'close' to the pier and then walk from there. We do this on disembarkation... walk up to 10th Avenue or so and get a taxi there, rather than wait in line at the pier terminal.

See the first site in my signature for the location of the pier and hotels around it (links there also show distance to the pier and reviews of the hotels).

Priceline and Hotwire are great for NYC and "all-in" (including cab fare and such) will probably be your cheapest option for a nice hotel in a 'good' area.

Again, you don't need to be near the pier, nor is it a recommended area to stay... there is nothing in the area.

Even if there were a hotel near the pier within walking distance, I wouldn't do this. Leave a little early and take a cab. Walking would be a nightmare.

Archived