Good dive sites around St. Thomas?

mlbcruiser

Can anyone tell me of any good dive sites (other than the ones down by Coki Beach) that would be doable when in port for one day on a cruise? My DH dives and didn't seem too interested in the Coki Beach dive. He has only been diving 3 yrs. but has been to some pretty good places, such as Grand Cayman, Bora Bora, Cozumel (a few times) and a number of other places incl. some locations in the caribbean and other places that weren't all that great. He isn't THAT particular but does want to see some PRETTY fish or coral, or some cool wrecks. Also, can anyone recommend any good dive operators in St. Thomas? Thanks! (P.S.) I would have asked about St. John but I doubt there would be time to get over there in time to head out on a dive. We have snorkeled there a number of times and I'm sure there must be some good places near both islands.

We dove off the NCL Dawn in St. Thomas back on 2003 with Admiralty Dive Center. They took us to the Miss Opportunity Wreck, very interesting wreck which I believe was actually a hospital ship, and Flat Cay Reef. They picked us up in their dive boat at the pier where NCL docked, very professional operation, and great dive, especially the wreck. I would highly recommend them. They were very accomodating. I booked them online, so I'm sure you can find their website. Enjoy a great dive!!

Check with Blue Island Divers too (http://www.blueislanddivers.com/). We used them last year in St. Thomas and had an excellent experience with them. Their website has an extensive listing and description of many of the dive sites in St. Thomas, so you can see what your choices might be. They take requests for sites as well, so if you book with them, make sure you tell them where you want to go.

One more option is Chris Sawyer http://www.sawyerdive.vi/

You'll need to take a taxi to their shop in Red Hook (about $9), but they are a great bunch and very safety conscious. They'll know the best sites for this time of year, but some of our favorites were: Ledges of St. James, Packet Rock, Calf, Fish Bowl.

Another option is the dive shop located at Sapphire Beach. See this website:

http://www.diveinusvi.com/

I always dive with them when arriving St Thomas by cruise ship. Of the 4-5 dive shops I've tried at St Thomas, they're tops IMHO. Great divemasters, great boat, good equipment. I recommend diving French Cap and Cow Rock if the weather permits.

Sapphire Beach is also great for snorkeling and other water sports when you are done diving and for any non-divers who might want to tag along.

You take a taxi to Sapphire, and then I recommend arranging for that taxi to bring you back. Not too expensive.

Have a great cruise and a fun/safe dive!

Archived