Greenland ports with a rollator?

DRS/NC

My Aug. 19 cruise (Princess) has 3 ports in Greenland.  I'm older & have mobility issues.

I know that the ports are very small towns w/few (if any) scheduled excursions.  (Princess hasn't posted their excursions for this cruise yet)

I know we tender in each port; I can take my folding rollator on the tenders. Will Nuuk, Qaqortog, Nanortalik likely be difficult to walk about for me?

Any guidance/advice greatly appreciated!

We were just in Qaqortoq and Nanortalik. They are indeed very tiny towns, and no excursions (there are no roads out of town!).  It would be hard for me to assess your personal ability to get around using a rollator, but here are some photos in case they help you.  

This is the Open Air Museum in Nanortalik:

enhance

This is Qaqortoq; you can see people coming up from the tender on the right, and then walking along the paved road.   Good luck, and enjoy your cruise!

enhance

(photos by turtles06)

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

We've been to all 3.  At one of them (Nuuk?) the town is high above the dock.  Most of us walked up the stairs and I can't remember if there was any kind of lift for folks in your situation.  As the photos posted above for Qaqortoq show, it's closer to the water.  At Nanortalik we weren't able to dock, but got close enough to see that it sits on flat land not too far above the above the water, so that should work out ok for you.  Have a great cruise!  [We sailed on Princess, too.]

Edited by BarbinMich

• 2 months later...
53 minutes ago, Hawaiian Mongoose said:

Aloha,

Question for anyone who has been to Greenland, especially recently.  Any tour suggestions for Nuuk, Qaqortoq or Nanotalik?

Thanks in advance,

Patric

Please see my post (number 2) above re Qaqortoq and Nanortalik.   

Edited by Turtles06

25 minutes ago, Hawaiian Mongoose said:

Oh, the part about no excursions.  Many thanks.  

We're trying to see if there are non ship tours available for our upcoming cruise.

Thanks again,

Patric

Obviously, you should do your research, and perhaps something will turn up.  But please know that many of us on our trip did a great deal of research beforehand, and the takeaway (reading many posts from folks here on CC who had been to Greenland prior cruises) was that while you might find some local folks offering something by boat, they were frequently cancelled at the very last moment, or the boat was not working, or no one showed up.

Please understand that Nanortalik and Qaqortoq are really tiny, tiny, tiny little tender ports.  There are no roads out of them to travel anywhere.   

Enjoy your cruise!

Thanks for your insight and experience. Part of the research is here in the CC threads. What little we have found elsewhere is understandably pricey or not available when we are in port. The inevitable conclusion is your point exactly. We will have to go with the flow (of 2,500 of our closest friends) and take available ship sponsored tours. 

Thanks again for sharing.

Edited by Hawaiian Mongoose
Typo

In Nanortalik there is usually a programme of entertainment for cruise passengers.

Some might be free, others might incur a small charge. I do not know whether the town decides how to tailor each programme for each ship differently, or whether it is the cruise line which decides.

It used to be that you could choose your ship from the list displayed and see the programme, but if it is not there, the tourism people could probably tell you if you contacted them as I don't see that today, only the ships, dates, and the various options listed. On the other hand, this is only early January and the programmes may not yet be finalised for 2019.

I do not know if I am allowed to put the link on here, but it should be easily found if you google "nanortalik services for cruise ships". From the results, choose the link for the site which begins "https:/tasermiutcamp"

We especially enjoyed the choral singing in the church and seeing local people dressed in traditional clothing, although the kayak display and the dancing were also enjoyable.

Edited by edinburgher

On 1/12/2019 at 8:52 AM, edinburgher said:

In Nanortalik there is usually a programme of entertainment for cruise passengers.

Some might be free, others might incur a small charge. I do not know whether the town decides how to tailor each programme for each ship differently, or whether it is the cruise line which decides.

It used to be that you could choose your ship from the list displayed and see the programme, but if it is not there, the tourism people could probably tell you if you contacted them as I don't see that today, only the ships, dates, and the various options listed. On the other hand, this is only early January and the programmes may not yet be finalised for 2019.

I do not know if I am allowed to put the link on here, but it should be easily found if you google "nanortalik services for cruise ships". From the results, choose the link for the site which begins "https:/tasermiutcamp"

We especially enjoyed the choral singing in the church and seeing local people dressed in traditional clothing, although the kayak display and the dancing were also enjoyable.

Aloha,

I tried to follow your advice, but the page I opened didn't have our 2019 Princess cruise listed.  It did display the shows that are available for other ships though, so that is a help.

Thanks,

Patric