Avalon Waterways Cruise Updates

suspaul

13 hours ago, Aslangold said:

I am sailing on Avalon Basil to Amsterdam on 11/29 and have been trying to find out what to expect.   Working in the travel field myself, I have contacted our agent with specific questions and he has been in touch with Avalon.   Here is their response as to what to expect - I contacted Avalon to get an update. They have been having issues on the Rhine for the past 3 months. It was a lot more in severe back in August due to summer droughts when some sailings had been cancelled. They have had gradual improvements since then. In September and October they have had to do partial transits on the river combined with motorcoach transit and hotels for part of the itinerary. The rain has picked up some in the region recently, though there may be a potential that they might not be doing a full transit depending on how water levels are. Avalon advised they will keep us posted.

I hope this is helpful.   I did ask him to contact them to see if we could stay with the boat in port, skip the motor tours and take a train at our expense to where we may want to rejoin the tour - in other words, do we have the option to not tour by motor bus.   I will let you know once I hear back.   Thank you all for your updates. 

Thanks very much for that info - it’s pretty much what I figured. I’m looking forward to finding out when they’ll actually announce decisions. We sail in 13 days so hopefully we’ll get some news in a week or so. I’ll post any news we get here. 

• Like 1

I am on the Avalon Festive Cruise from Nuremberg to Vienna with 2 nights pre-cruise in Prague.

We were supposed to be embarking in Nuremberg on November 25.

Now we are being transferred to embark in Passau and will be docked for several days

there while we do the Regensburg excursion from Passau by bus

and miss out Nuremberg completely.

The only compensation that Avalon are offering is a complimentary classic musical concert in Vienna

and no monetary compensation for lack of cruising and missing out Nuremberg.

1 hour ago, ajs1998 said:

I am on the Avalon Festive Cruise from Nuremberg to Vienna with 2 nights pre-cruise in Prague.

We were supposed to be embarking in Nuremberg on November 25.

Now we are being transferred to embark in Passau and will be docked for several days

there while we do the Regensburg excursion from Passau by bus

and miss out Nuremberg completely.

The only compensation that Avalon are offering is a complimentary classic musical concert in Vienna

and no monetary compensation for lack of cruising and missing out Nuremberg.

That’s definitely not what you paid for - were you given an option to cancel in light of the significant change to the itinerary?

1 hour ago, Jaydub99 said:

That’s definitely not what you paid for - were you given an option to cancel in light of the significant change to the itinerary?

Yes we can cancel and get full refund so I guess that is their get- out

Still deciding whether to go and accept amended itin or cancel

1 hour ago, ajs1998 said:

We sail the 24th but still no contact from Avalon. Perhaps after the effect of the current rainy weather is measured and they determine if they can actually get our ship from Strasbourg where it is now to Amsterdam - or not!

I spoke with the Avalon rep this morning about my trip on 12/1.  I was told that they are working on the 11/24 trip so you should here something shortly.   Part of the tour will be by motor coach but I couldn’t get any definitive answers.  I asked if we had other options and was told no.  When asked about compensation she could not give me any answers.   

39 minutes ago, Aslangold said:

I spoke with the Avalon rep this morning about my trip on 12/1.  I was told that they are working on the 11/24 trip so you should here something shortly.   Part of the tour will be by motor coach but I couldn’t get any definitive answers.  I asked if we had other options and was told no.  When asked about compensation she could not give me any answers.   

That’s good to know, thanks. We leave this weekend to spend the week before in Europe so I may give them a call in a day or two. 

Edited by Jaydub99

I discussed this with my wife - we are leaving 12/1 Basel to Amsterdam - about the possibility of our spending a good portion of our 'RIVER CRUISE' on buses, in hotel rooms and eating at mediocre restaurants.  To say we are unhappy is an understatement.  I would rather they just cancel the remaining cruises and call it a year.  The effort and expenses of dealing with this must be cutting into any possible profit Avalon might be making on these cruises to say nothing of the hit to their reputation if they make significant changes at the very last moment.

I'm looking at keeping my air flights and putting together a rail vacation up the Rhine and staying in nice hotels if given the option of cancelling.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dbs944 said:

I discussed this with my wife - we are leaving 12/1 Basel to Amsterdam - about the possibility of our spending a good portion of our 'RIVER CRUISE' on buses, in hotel rooms and eating at mediocre restaurants.  To say we are unhappy is an understatement.  I would rather they just cancel the remaining cruises and call it a year.  The effort and expenses of dealing with this must be cutting into any possible profit Avalon might be making on these cruises to say nothing of the hit to their reputation if they make significant changes at the very last moment.

I'm looking at keeping my air flights and putting together a rail vacation up the Rhine and staying in nice hotels if given the option of cancelling.  

My sentiments exactly. 

On 11/12/2018 at 2:13 PM, ajs1998 said:

We are on the same cruise and just received the information today about the change in itin...  They have also changed boats from the Passion to the Vista.  They say they are sister ships, so there shouldn't be much difference.  We are disappointed also about the change, but at this point will go ahead with the trip and enjoy all the other stops.  If it changes any more than we may need to discuss cancelling. 

26 minutes ago, killer32 said:

We are on the same cruise and just received the information today about the change in itin...  They have also changed boats from the Passion to the Vista.  They say they are sister ships, so there shouldn't be much difference.  We are disappointed also about the change, but at this point will go ahead with the trip and enjoy all the other stops.  If it changes any more than we may need to discuss cancelling. 

Well that’s another change again then as they told me we would be on the Panorama instead of the Passion 

We just got our revised itinerary or option to cancel notice from Avalon for our 24 Nov cruise on the Tranquility II. Essentially bussing Amsterdam to Strasbourg to meet our ship with stops in Cologne and Mainz and then bus back to Heidelberg for a tour. Three days hotel and 4 on the ship. Decision time. 

2 hours ago, Jaydub99 said:

We just got our revised itinerary or option to cancel notice from Avalon for our 24 Nov cruise on the Tranquility II. Essentially bussing Amsterdam to Strasbourg to meet our ship with stops in Cologne and Mainz and then bus back to Heidelberg for a tour. Three days hotel and 4 on the ship. Decision time. 

I’m glad you’ve gotten clarification and now need to make the decision that works best for you.  Good luck and I hope you still have a wonderful time.  As we’re on the Illumination in early December and it hasn’t moved in many days we’re still in a holding pattern.  Maybe we’ll heard something definite soon.

Just now, suspaul said:

I’m glad you’ve gotten clarification and now need to make the decision that works best for you.  Good luck and I hope you still have a wonderful time.  As we’re on the Illumination in early December and it hasn’t moved in many days we’re still in a holding pattern.  Maybe we’ll heard something definite soon.

Jaydub99, can I ask how you were notified?  Email, phone call, thru your TA?  Just curious since we’re waiting also.

TIA.

9 hours ago, suspaul said:

Jaydub99, can I ask how you were notified?  Email, phone call, thru your TA?  Just curious since we’re waiting also.

TIA.

TA. I received a message from Avalon that the info had been sent to her and they indicated they were not legally permitted to pass the info direct to me as we had booked through a TA. Though that may be a Canadian legal thing, not sure.

TA. I received a message from Avalon that the info had been sent to her and they indicated they were not legally permitted to pass the info direct to me as we had booked through a TA. Though that may be a Canadian legal thing, not sure.

Thanks for the info.  I’ve been receiving lots of ‘junk’ calls on my cell, if I recognize the #, I don’t answer and no VM’s so they’re not important thus my asking.  We too are using a TA so will wait for word from her and maybe Avalon.

Enjoy your travels no matter which you choose to do.

We were supposed to embark from Budapest (on Illumination) Nov. 30 and sail to Nuremberg (then motor coach to Prague for a couple nights). I guess I should consider us lucky that we’re at least still cruising for half of the original time, from Vienna to Passau. The rest (Regensburg & Nuremberg) will be done by motor coach, and then driving back to Passau to spend the night on the ship. That going to be a LOT of time on the road, but I’m trying to stay optimistic. If any of the rest becomes a motor coach tour, I think we’ll opt to cancel if it’s an option. I’m keeping my fingers crossed though because I have been SO looking forward to this trip! I just hate that this will be my parents’ first experience with river cruising after all the time I spent raving about how awesome it is to sail along the river & watch the scenery from your stateroom. It’s not quite the same watching the scenery from a bus seat. But I know that’s the chance you take when you plan a river cruise. :( 

We are still awaiting info from APT about our cruise departing from Budapest in December and share your disappointment.

Like you we have river cruised before and when it goes well it is a great experience, we have cruised with Avalon and like their cabins and ships. We dislike bus trips too.

Have had notification from Avalon  about your options yet?

2 hours ago, perkyblue said:

We were supposed to embark from Budapest (on Illumination) Nov. 30 and sail to Nuremberg (then motor coach to Prague for a couple nights). I guess I should consider us lucky that we’re at least still cruising for half of the original time, from Vienna to Passau. The rest (Regensburg & Nuremberg) will be done by motor coach, and then driving back to Passau to spend the night on the ship. That going to be a LOT of time on the road, but I’m trying to stay optimistic. If any of the rest becomes a motor coach tour, I think we’ll opt to cancel if it’s an option. I’m keeping my fingers crossed though because I have been SO looking forward to this trip! I just hate that this will be my parents’ first experience with river cruising after all the time I spent raving about how awesome it is to sail along the river & watch the scenery from your stateroom. It’s not quite the same watching the scenery from a bus seat. But I know that’s the chance you take when you plan a river cruise. 😞

perkyblue, how did you find out about the changes?  We apparently are on the trip following yours, we spend 3 nights in a hotel in Prague (12.4) and board the Illumination on 12.7.  We’ve heard nothing and received our final documents last week outlining the original itinerary, we’re just so torn but until we actually hear from Avalon, we’ll keep our fingers crossed.  Let’s continue hoping for rain.  I hope you and your family enjoy your travels.  

1 hour ago, pully8 said:

We are still awaiting info from APT about our cruise departing from Budapest in December and share your disappointment.

Like you we have river cruised before and when it goes well it is a great experience, we have cruised with Avalon and like their cabins and ships. We dislike bus trips too.

Have had notification from Avalon  about your options yet?

pully8, the waiting is the hardest part, isn’t it?  We too have done many river cruises and enjoy them when it goes well, like you said.  This will be our 3rd trip with Avalon.  And, totally agree, we don’t want a bus trip, not what we booked or paid for.  Please post if you hear anything from Avalon, we’ll do the same.  

Yes the waiting is awful. Our cruise booking is with APT/AMA but we have cruised with Avalon, last year we did Paris/Normandy. We did it previously when there was high water and our cruise was interrupted by a couple of days, we were bused to Paris for the last 2 nights. We were keen to do it again and complete the trip.

Hope you hear soon. Communication seems to be a big issue with these situations and needs to improve.