Queen Elizabeth Cabin: 8166 BE

steveoelliott

Hi all,

In the interest of assisting fellow cruisers I just wanted to give my balanced and candid feedback regarding the cabin my wife and I shared on a 14 day Canary cruise with Cunard 1-15th October 2018.

General Cabin Feedback

The Cabin was clean and not showing significant signs of being tired although a ship refit is imminent. The cabin was also very well maintained / cleaned by our steward, Edgar.

Cabin Position:

This cabin is at the rear most end of the ship with only a few staterooms before the aft.  It is on deck 8 right below the Lido pool area. Ordinarily we would opt for a cabin with a passenger deck above and below to ensure less chance of noise but our choice to go away was last minute and there were few options left.

Ship Movement / Sway

Despite 4 metre sea swells on one evening we didn’t feel this cabin put us at any disadvantage having stayed previously in mid ships deck 5. I did hear other passengers complain that were at the front however. I have therefore concluded anything rear on mid ships is fine for ships movement etc.

Plus Sides of Being Below Lido Pool Area:

One single flight of stairs and a turn left / right gets you right into the buffet where you can get all the food / beverages you wish for when not using the other more formal dining venues. My wife and I found this very convenient. It was also very convenient for the Lido pool deck being as were less than a minute walk from it.

Negative Sides of Being Below Lido Pool Area:

As our cabin was directly below the Lido deck, every morning at around 6am we could hear deck chairs being dragged across the deck above us. This disturbance lasted only for around a minute but could be mildly irritating and I suspect for some this would be a big issue.

Now at this stage I am risking sounding like a miserable so-and-so but I did actually struggle with sleeping on this voyage (not due to the deck chairs). One evening we decided not to go out and have a quiet night in with a view to going to sleep around 10pm so I could be fully refreshed for the next day. However… there was a deck party right above us and when this finished at 10:30pm I assumed that would be it. To my frustration it started again for the second sitting diners and continued until 12:30pm. I have no issues with late night parties and ordinarily would have been there myself. However, when I haven’t had a decent night sleep for days and am awoken by “Rock around the clock” with some loud mouth on a microphone repeatedly yelling “1,2-1.2.3, 1,2,3,4” you may understand my grievance. In my view at no stage should somebody lying in bed in their cabin with the doors / windows hear every word spoken, accompanied with the thuds of dancing and foot tapping from the entertainers through the floor. I’ve stayed in hotels above nightclubs with less noise!

In fairness although some (including my wife) feel I am being a little “grumpy” in my feedback regarding the party, bear in mind I am 33 and this was only an issue for me once. If you were the kind of folks that liked to regularly retire early then with the Lido parties, this location is best avoided.

Hope that helps somebody...