Alaska by Land and Sea

Hendy59

Hi I hope I am posting in the correct place.  We are contemplating doing a 9 Day Yukon + Double Denali CruiseTour.  It is 3 days on a cruise and 6 days on land.  We have cruised many times and love it but have never been to Alaska.  Has anyone done this type of cruise/land tour in Alaska.  I have searched the forum and for some reason I can not find anything. I am hesitant because I am afraid I will be disappointing being on the ship only 3 nights.

Thank you I appreciate any input on this topic.

Look down the page for a thread called ' Qts about land itineraries.....'.

I responded with an old trip report that is similar to what you're describing.  Probably not the same itinerary but it will give you an idea.  Hopefully someone with experience can provide insight.

You'll get more feedback if you attach a link to the itinerary. People may not have taken the tour but might have concerns about travel times , etc.

As for being disappointed with only 3 nites on the ship, look at it this way ..... instead of seeing 4 more days of coastal scenery, you'll experience more and varied scenery by going inland.  Which port do you miss ... Juneau and Ketchikan ? what's more important to you .... seeing those 2 ports or seeing more of the interior ? 

Thanks, I will search for the report you are talking about.  Since this is probably the only time we will go I would like to see as much as we can in 9 days. 

This is the itinerary for the trip we are looking at, it is through Holland America on Nieuw Amsterdam

Vancouver: Sail from Vancouver, glide under the Lion’s Gate Bridge, and enter the scenic wonders of the Inside Passage

At Sea: Relax and enjoy a full day of scenic Inside Passage cruising and immerse yourself in Holland America Line elegance

Tracy Arm: This morning you have the chance to explore the stunning beauty of Tracy Arm and the Sawyer Glaciers on an optional excursion

Juneau: Enjoy the afternoon exploring Alaska’s capital. Choose from exciting shore excursions and still have time to shop

Whitehorse: Meet your Journey Host in Juneau before departing aboard the historic White Pass train to Fraser, then on to Whitehorse via Explorer coach - 1 Night Stay

Dawson City: Follow the route of Klondike gold stampeders in style to Dawson City, with an included lunch stop in historic Minto - 1 Night Stay

Fairbanks: Your journey continues as you board a short flight bound for Fairbanks, Alaska's Golden Heart City - 1 Night Stay

Denali National Park: After a step back in time at Gold Dredge 8, it's off to Denali National Park. 2 Night Stay

Denali National Park: Features the unforgettable Tundra Wilderness Tour. This 6-8 hour fully narrated sightseeing excursion is a deep dive into Denali National Park - the very best chance of seeing both the mountain itself and Denali’s iconic wildlife

Anchorage: This morning, board the luxurious domed rail cars of the McKinley Explorer bound for Anchorage - 1 Night Stay

Anchorage: Your Land & Sea Journey concludes this morning in Anchorage

I love HAL’s Yukon itineraries but have only done the land first with the four day cruise at the end.  The tour you are looking at is too short.  You will spend most of your land tour in transit.  You need two nights in Dawson City at a minimum (Y5C).  If you are not limited by time you could choose a longer itinerary with a night in Skagway and/or add a southbound cruise at the end.    

Have you studied the 2019 Alaska & the Yukon e-brochure on the HAL web site?  Also, watch for price fluctuations if you are flexible about cruise dates.