Irritating ast minute cruise changes

Alsagman

Just heard of the first changes to the Arcadia RTW 2019.

The first change is that the ship will tender off Yorkeys knob instead of Cairns as the dock is not complete....or delayed. But the second is that now Kiriwani in PNG is dropped due to immigration issues not known about when the cruise was planned....and of course put on sale.

Whilst the first change is believable, the second seems either dubious or else these long cruises are being planned then sold in rather a hit and miss way. Basically it’s all very sloppy.

I think the point to understand here is that these cruises are planned years in advance and so "Immigration Issues" cannot be taken into account that far in advance. I would not normally defend P&O but this seems to be a bit like the natural disasters that occur which mean a port cannot be visited. I do not know what these immigration issues are about (do you?) but they are what they are. You either accept that or opt out from the cruise. Sorry if that sounds a bit negative but that's how I see the situation.

Peter 

I couldn't agree more.  Very annoyed we are docking at Cairns - must me some new construction as we were there for a week last year and the dock was in use.  Was hoping to spend the day wandering around - its a lovely city.  Not too worried about the extra sea day instead of Kiriwani as we weren't planning to go ashore that day anyway. 

Mummsie  

QM2 was due to call at Naples on its world cruise this year, so obviously all agreed with the Port years ago. 2 days before arrival we are informed that our berth needed dredging , they had known that for 3 years, but had not bothered. So no Naples. Blimmin’  Italians couldn’t organise a thingie in a brewery! At least you have found out early and can plan accordingly.

We are also booked on this leg of the World tour , we paid our balance last Wednesday then received the bombshell notification of the changes on Monday morning, WE are absolutely gutted as this was 2 of the main reasons we booked the cruise which for us is our celebration of 40 years marriage and retirement for which we have saved for over years. P&O say tenders will be available to take us from Yorkies Knob then we can make our own way to Cairns, trouble is tenders are no use to us we have tried them and failed in the Caribbean so the docking in Port to then take a trip to the reef was along with being one of the first cruises to visit Kiriwani  the reasons why we booked the cruise, to have them taken away from us is to say the least very upsetting. We have done all the usual contacted the company our agent etc but they say  they can do this without any compensation and the only offer they have made is to cancel at a cost of near on £900 which we can not afford to lose. WE even asked if we could delay for a year so we could dock in Cairns  but this was also refused. I cant believe we do not have a case for full refund as 28% of our cruise has been either removed or altered, they say we now have the opportunity to spend more time at sea instead of visiting Kiriwani :( 

• 5 months later...

During the cruise which we have now returned from we did hear from an extremely knowledgeable source that Kiriwana was never really a reliable port of call. Seems the cruise planners had not taken some local factors into account.
So it does all come back to marketing enthusiasm vs careful research.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Never ever book a cruise because you must visit somewhere. There are too many factors that come into play to guarantee they will get to every port they hope to. The world cruises for this year are back now and I know they had a few missed/changed ports. usually down to the weather. 

I would love to do the Canada and US crusies,but by reading reports year on year the weather usually seems to stick its oar in...so they will be staying on my wish list for the moment.