Rio Bayamon Golf in San Juan

minnieiowa

It all depends on your arrival time,  the time you are in port for and your game pace. The course is located about 30 minutes from port and while morning and early afternoon traffic to the area id's relatively light, afternoon traffic back to the ship can vary wildy sometimes. The course is short with a lot of short par 4 and par 3s, but it's narrow and in most situations if that ball goes out of bounds,  it's lost. A river borders most of the front nine and goes across the course on the back nine. You actually drive the ball over the river twice. It's a municipal course but it's pretty well maintained and your only real option for a game during a port stop.

3 hours ago, Stinger-pr said:

It all depends on your arrival time,  the time you are in port for and your game pace. The course is located about 30 minutes from port and while morning and early afternoon traffic to the area id's relatively light, afternoon traffic back to the ship can vary wildy sometimes. The course is short with a lot of short par 4 and par 3s, but it's narrow and in most situations if that ball goes out of bounds,  it's lost. A river borders most of the front nine and goes across the course on the back nine. You actually drive the ball over the river twice. It's a municipal course but it's pretty well maintained and your only real option for a game during a port stop.

Thank you so much for the info!

• 2 weeks later...

If you could get into a U.S. military base (with a DoD ID card or MWR membership), there's a better course in Fort Buchanan, closer to the ports.  It's a nine hole course, but more challenging than Bayamon's.  If you don't have ID, maybe you could call ahead and arrange for a special permit to get in.  They're hurting for members/players to justify their existence. 787-707-3980.

7 hours ago, Aviator of the Seas said:

If you could get into a U.S. military base (with a DoD ID card or MWR membership), there's a better course in Fort Buchanan, closer to the ports.  It's a nine hole course, but more challenging than Bayamon's.  If you don't have ID, maybe you could call ahead and arrange for a special permit to get in.  They're hurting for members/players to justify their existence. 787-707-3980.

Have you or anyone you know had any experience with a civilian pass for this course? Unfortunately, I have no one in the military available to "invite" me and I've had the curiosity to play this course for some time now.

22 minutes ago, Stinger-pr said:

Have you or anyone you know had any experience with a civilian pass for this course? Unfortunately, I have no one in the military available to "invite" me and I've had the curiosity to play this course for some time now.

I think almost anyone can become a member of the Fort Buchanan MWR (Morale, Welfare and Support), and with that use the MWR facilities.  I go almost every weekend to the base.  Just to shop, don't golf anymore.  But I'll try to swing by and ask about the requirements.  I know that a lot of civilians play there, but many people don't bother with the MWR card because it involves a background check and a waiting period.

15 hours ago, Aviator of the Seas said:

I think almost anyone can become a member of the Fort Buchanan MWR (Morale, Welfare and Support), and with that use the MWR facilities.  I go almost every weekend to the base.  Just to shop, don't golf anymore.  But I'll try to swing by and ask about the requirements.  I know that a lot of civilians play there, but many people don't bother with the MWR card because it involves a background check and a waiting period.

That info would be great. Thanks!!

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/13/2018 at 7:04 AM, Aviator of the Seas said:

Thank you!  Do you think someone who is retired from the service would be able to get in? 

• 4 weeks later...
11 hours ago, Aviator of the Seas said:

Fort Buchanan Golf Club?  Can't be the federal government since they're supposed to operate on non-appropriated MWR funds. 

Yes I've tried calling the Golf course at Fort Buchanon every day and get no response. I've been able to get in contact with the Rio Bayomon golf course but only via email as they said their phones were dámaged?  Is ths course in a safe area? 

11 hours ago, minnieiowa said:

Yes I've tried calling the Golf course at Fort Buchanon every day and get no response. I've been able to get in contact with the Rio Bayomon golf course but only via email as they said their phones were dámaged?  Is ths course in a safe area? 

Yes, it is in a safe area.  But bear in mind that it is more of a practice course than a full one.  If you want a "real", beutiful course you have to go outside of San Juan to Rio Grande, for example.

I always play at Bayamon when I feel the urge to feed balls to the river and to the plants along the boundaries of the course..lol. It's a great course for testing your accuracy since it's narrow on the long holes and the 3's are sometimes a "stone's throw" long. It can sometime be a bit windy as well so what it lacks in beauty is made up in how challenging it can be.

17 hours ago, Stinger-pr said:

I always play at Bayamon when I feel the urge to feed balls to the river and to the plants along the boundaries of the course..lol. It's a great course for testing your accuracy since it's narrow on the long holes and the 3's are sometimes a "stone's throw" long. It can sometime be a bit windy as well so what it lacks in beauty is made up in how challenging it can be.

Thank you for all your help in finding somewhere to golf!!  Happy new year!!