Pride of America Miss NaPali Coast???

tllstaco

I read on another website that the Pride of America is having to undergo maintenance in Kauai and as a result the ship must stay in port longer and for past 3 weeks did not sail by the NaPali coast.  Can anyone tell me if this is true?

I wrote NCL and was told that this was not correct; however, people who are on board are saying that they were given $100 per room on board credit.  Was hoping to get more experiences from those who sailed.

Edited by tllstaco
Add a sentence.

Just got off the POA on Saturday, Nov. 3.  You are correct -- no NaPali coast sailing due to maintenance in Kauai.  We sailed from Nawiliwili at 5:30pm instead of the scheduled 2:00pm and headed south for Oahu.  We were given $100 per cabin credit.  

I am concerned that "maintenance" may be related to lifeboats -- one per week -- and there are about 18 of them.  Very disappointing, but great cruise otherwise!

8 hours ago, 2Nerds said:

Just got off the POA on Saturday, Nov. 3.  You are correct -- no NaPali coast sailing due to maintenance in Kauai.  We sailed from Nawiliwili at 5:30pm instead of the scheduled 2:00pm and headed south for Oahu.  We were given $100 per cabin credit.  

I am concerned that "maintenance" may be related to lifeboats -- one per week -- and there are about 18 of them.  Very disappointing, but great cruise otherwise!

I don't know of any lifeboat maintenance that would be done one boat at a time and that would cause a delay in a port with an overnight.  When the Sky was the Aloha, we parted a lifeboat wire and the pulley assembly had fallen into Hilo harbor.  We dove for the several hundred pound pulley, retrieved it, renewed the wire, and had the boat back onboard for an on time departure in less than 6 hours, so I don't see even wire renewal being the problem.

Given POA's age, the liferafts are probably due for their 15 year inspection (which requires a hydro test of the CO2 inflation cylinders), but this is done by a third party ashore, and this may have taken longer than expected, and the rafts not delivered back in time.  However, this is done in batches, so it may take 5-6 weeks to finish, but I would expect that not every week would have a delay.

12 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

I don't know of any lifeboat maintenance that would be done one boat at a time and that would cause a delay in a port with an overnight.  When the Sky was the Aloha, we parted a lifeboat wire and the pulley assembly had fallen into Hilo harbor.  We dove for the several hundred pound pulley, retrieved it, renewed the wire, and had the boat back onboard for an on time departure in less than 6 hours, so I don't see even wire renewal being the problem.

Given POA's age, the liferafts are probably due for their 15 year inspection (which requires a hydro test of the CO2 inflation cylinders), but this is done by a third party ashore, and this may have taken longer than expected, and the rafts not delivered back in time.  However, this is done in batches, so it may take 5-6 weeks to finish, but I would expect that not every week would have a delay.

true we sailed week of Oct 20th.  Got $100 credit for no Napali Coast and repairs doe to lifeboats while in port

Just got an email from NCL and will be receiving $100 per cabin as a good will gesture.  Here is a portion of the email.  

"To complete required maintenance, we must spend additional time in port. As such, Pride of America's departure time from Nawiliwili has been changed from 2:00 pm to 5:30 pm. Unfortunately, this means that we will be unable to sail the Na Pali coast as previously scheduled."

26 minutes ago, clover18 said:

That's a total bummer. Sorry to hear it!

Thanks!  No worries though.  Since they gave us enough time we just adjusted our plans.  We were going to drive to Waimea Canyon on the first day and then take a sunset dinner cruise in the afternoon so we could see the NaPali even closer.  Now, the longer second day allows us to do more hiking up around Waimea Canyon and see more of the overlooks!  The first day we can go explore the island in the morning instead.  🙂

• 3 weeks later...

We were on the cruise that left Nawiliwili on FRI Nov 16 at 5:30 instead of 2:00. Maintenance appeared to be on lifeboat hoists. I've attached a photo from our starboard deck 9 balcony. It was very noisy! Although we had 10-day notice, it was terribly disappointing. At this time of year Na Pali coast is the primary daytime cruise experience.  That $100 credit was insufficient.

download.qfx