QE2 Refit/Refurbishment?

bobby1119

(I'm new to these message boards)

I am wondering if anyone knows what kind of refurbishments are planned for QE2 during her refit this spring following the current world cruise. I was aboard the ship for a visit this past Monday in New York and was saddened by how tired and worn she looked. I hadn't been aboard since a transatlantic crossing during the summer of 2003.

Thanks.

Bobby

I meant to ask what they were planning on doing this past week when I was aboard, but forgot. I will still try to find out if I can.

I am surprised that you found her tired and worn - I thought she was in amazingly good condition for a ship her age. I guess this is an example of how people can see the same thing and reach different conclusions!

I was puzzled by this comment. She certainly didn't look tired and worn to me. Indeed in many ways she seemed smarter than QM2 in that the carpets looked much higher class (probably because of the peculiar shading on QM2 carpets in the public areas) and in the much classier panelling all over the ship. Real wood veneer looks so much better than plastic!!

David.

Fellow QE2 enthusiasts,

A note of clarification...although I did find QE2 a bit tired, I still prefer her look to that of Queen Mary 2. Even at her age, QE2 is still by far the classiest and grandest ship of all and arguably will always be. It is so true that we shall never see the likes of her again.

I am especially interested in knowing what is being planned for the ship in terms of refit and refurbishment as I am booked on the full 2007 world cruise. I have done many cruises and crossings in this great ship.

Thanks again for your comments.

Real wood veneer looks so much better than plastic!!

This is true - but there is a lot of fake wood on QE2.

The wood that's left from 1969 - mainly, furniture and panelling in the original cabins (one through five decks) and original first-class corridors (one through three decks).

Most if not all of what was added after the fact (mainly in the 1994 and 1999 refits) is, as American car companies are so fond of saying, "simulated".

Stand in one of those first-class corridors and look at the real wood on the inboard bulkhead. Then look at the fake stuff on the (outside) cabin doors. The difference will be painfully obvious...

At the Officer's Cocktail party I spoke with a senior hotel officer - he said that the refurb would include major upgrades to the galleys - which I think he said involved cutting holes in the hull to get the old equipment out to put new stuff in - so sounds like they are continuing to invest in more than 'cosmetic' changes.

As for 'tiredness' I think the QE2 is looking better than anytime since I started sailing on her five or so years ago. Funny what happens when the owners actually know about running ships, rather than property or engineering. The 'tiredest' looking ship I have sailed on was the then three year old 'Golden Princess'.

Doug, I fear you may be underestimating the 'wood' problem - a lot of my gloriously creaky cabin - including built in wardrobes and cabinets are wood - solid wood - no laminates here!

Peter

As I said, the (original) cabins have wood (lots of it) as do the first-class corridors... Not sure how that is underestimating? Most of the stuff in the public areas is definitely fake.

The visible, accessible, stuff, the easiest to change, doesn't need to be, while decks five though one basically need to be gutted......while the QE2 does have a bit of fake wood, most of it is real - thats the bit I doubt they will want to pony up for changing.......

Peter

while the QE2 does have a bit of fake wood, most of it is real

True - but sadly, a lot of the most visible stuff (like in the public rooms) is fake!

I've still not been able to get a clear answer on just what has to go in 2010. It has even been suggested to me that none of it may have to go, which I find hard to believe. But apparently all of the real wood on QE2 (from Day One) is thin veneer over a fireproof substrate - and if it's thin enough, then it is legal.

The question is, what of all that wood furniture in the cabins? All I know is that I've seen wood furniture on new ships - so there is some way of making wood furniture "fireproof". Perhaps QE2's is too?

I guess we will all find out in 2010...

Archived