Freaking out a little!

Vigorosity

18 minutes ago, just4cruzin said:

I can't believe no one has suggested this, but for a nominal fee of I think $100, you can transfer the booking from your friend to another person.  For $100, it's amazing how many friends you might have who would want to go.  I can't vouch for solo cruising, however this is another option.  Good luck and hope your friend feels better.

ONLY if they did not book early savers.  to make a name change its 50.00

To the OP    do not let your friend cancel unless you both have insurance.  If she cancels  you will have to pay a single supplement  She loses it all except port and taxes anyways

If she goes as a no show she gets back her port and taxes--    

On 11/9/2018 at 6:22 AM, five. said:

The way you worded that, I have to ask. Do you think wording it as SOLO vs SINGLE makes a big difference?

Usually ... yes it does.  I have sailed solo on NCL several times now.  They have meet up groups for these solo travelers and the NCL coordinator has freebies for us and makes dinner reservations for us as a group.  We go to the dining room and walk by the LONG line of guests outside the DR and we get seated at our table(s).  

Some of the 'solo' cruisers in our group are married and traveling .... solo.  

On 11/9/2018 at 6:48 AM, Joebucks said:

Be careful with that advice, "illness" is very vague. You aren't going to get your money back if someone has a cold. Often, "illness" is a cover for "I don't want to go".

I say don't sweat the solo cruise! Maybe it ends up being more fun, maybe it ends up not being your thing. The alternative is you not going either. That would be no fun. Enjoy this time you get!

I agree and there are requirements to be met with 'illness' to get your insurance $$ back.  Doctor needs to complete forms, stipulate travel is completely out and sign off on the actual illness.  

On 11/8/2018 at 9:54 PM, Vigorosity said:

But going on vacation alone would be a totally new experience that I’m not sure I’m comfortable. I’m just freaking out....so if you have any advice or experience on cruising solo or something!

I did my first solo cruise last week, and I'll definitely do it again!    If you have time before you leave, head over to the Solo Cruisers forum and read a few threads like "Why travel solo?"   As long as you go with the attitude that you're fine and ready to have a great time, you'll love it.  I met a lot of people, and there were only a couple slightly awkward moments.

Update! Just got off this cruise and definitely had to go solo. There were pros and cons. I loved having the freedom to do as I wish, loved having my own room. I liked that I got to fly instead of drive. But at the end of the day....I would not do this again on my own! I missed my best friend. I made tons of new friends on the boat...but they just weren’t the same. 

This is the only cruise where I have been happy to go home!

10 minutes ago, Vigorosity said:

Update! Just got off this cruise and definitely had to go solo. There were pros and cons. I loved having the freedom to do as I wish, loved having my own room. I liked that I got to fly instead of drive. But at the end of the day....I would not do this again on my own! I missed my best friend. I made tons of new friends on the boat...but they just weren’t the same. 

This is the only cruise where I have been happy to go home!

I am SO glad you did this.  I am sorry to see you say that you were happy to go home.  I have done several cruises as a solo and they just get better and better.  It may be because I am older than you or my circumstance is just different than yours.  That freedom to do as you wish has become precious to me and is so liberating. 

Thank-you for coming back to give an update!  I wonder if the original plan had been to go on a solo cruise if you would have enjoyed it better?  I love to plan vacations and would have been so disappointed if all of my/our plans were changed last minute.  Kudos to you for going and making the best of it.  I have a large family cruise coming very soon and after it is over I hope to start planning my first solo cruise.  I am actually looking forward to the freedom :)

11 hours ago, Daphne'sMom said:

Thank-you for coming back to give an update!  I wonder if the original plan had been to go on a solo cruise if you would have enjoyed it better?  I love to plan vacations and would have been so disappointed if all of my/our plans were changed last minute.  Kudos to you for going and making the best of it.  I have a large family cruise coming very soon and after it is over I hope to start planning my first solo cruise.  I am actually looking forward to the freedom 🙂

Yeah! I’m the planner. I had planned everything months before. All of our pre-cruise stuff changed. We didn’t stop to see my family in Destin. We didn’t go to this cool beach hotel in south Tampa. We didn’t get to stay at the Airbnb that was inside an antique store. 

Maybe if I had planned to go solo, it would have been better. But I don’t see myself planning one of those for a long, long time!