QE2 Internet

Glaciers

QE2@cunard.com

This is the email address where you can have folks email you and the hard copy is then delivered to your cabin. Have them put your name and cabin number in the subject line.

The Cyber Center has about 16 computers available. Although busy at times there was rarely a wait. It is open 24 hours per day.

Rates to surf the internet

By the minute, $.50. There are also packages available for purchase. Of course, these fees could change at any time.

Hours Package

½ $.45 $13.50

1 $.42 $24.95

2 $.40 $47.95

And so forth up to a package with 32 hours equaling $.25/minute for $479.95. Printing is $.50/page regardless of how it turns out.

There are currently three areas with WiFi, if you have a laptop with the proper wireless card. The Lido, Yacht Club and the Board Room. The Board Room is for Queens Grill passengers only. The signals do bleed over a bit to other areas of the ship including some staterooms located nearby. If the ship will be in service for 10 more years they will certainly need to expand this service. I’m not sure of the speed but it is at least as good as any other cruise ship we’ve been on.

For those with a laptop, you have the luxury of composing your email in a Word document and then logging on and copying and pasting the text into your email message. It costs to use word in the Cyber Center. It took some time to compose this message but I was able to connect and paste it into my email message in about 2 minutes and then log off.

On board now and on our way to Curacao!

There are currently three areas with WiFi, if you have a laptop with the proper wireless card. The Lido, Yacht Club and the Board Room.

Huh, I cancelled 3rd Jan Southampton to Sydney on QE2 because Cunard would not allow me to connect to the Internet using my laptop. Now I'm mad as hell to find out that they did indeed install WiFi as per my repeated requests.

I accepted an alternative cruise on QM2 NYC to LA, which sails on Sunday.

Moving from Coronia QE2 to B1 QM2 "hull hole", complete with obscured view and connecting doors that are NOT sound proofed! This was done on the understanding that QE2 was not a modern ship and could not be fitted with WiFi.

Strewth...

Jack

Yes, there definitely is wi-fi on QE2. The price is the same as using the computers in the computer center. I was able to connect quite rapidly when we first embarked on Jan. 3. I did not pay for a package, just paid for 13 minutes.

The one nice thing I noticed-at times, just prior to arrival in NYC and almost all the way down the coast to FLL, I was able to connect using my Verizon air card at no extra cost. Two or three times I got kicked onto the QE2 wifi, which requires a log in and obviously the very high charges, but I was able to make a connection almost every day on the way to FLL. So if you have some providers air card and are relatively close to shore, you should be able to connect.

Others told me that they could not connect from their cabins, but we were in 2045, not far from the computer center, so I was able to enjoy using my laptop in my PJ's.

I heard through word-of-mouth from a fellow passenger that they were planning on installing wi-fi... Didn't realise that it was actually up and running though!

This is good to know for the future. That said, they certainly will have to do a better job of letting people know that it exists...

One note: the Boardroom is not for Queens Grill pax... It is the concierge lounge for full world cruise pax (during the world cruise). When not on the world cruise, it is literally a board room (conference room).

Interested to know Wifi now is on QE2. I am on LA to HK sector of WC. When tickets came just before Christmas I noticed that the information said WiFi would be available, but I was sceptical. Can someone on board enlighten me as to what the cost is? How do they "police" usage?

It will be very useful for me to keep in touch with my office while away but I had assumed this would be difficult. This is very good news indeed. I use a Mac enabled for airport. Has anyone else used this system?

Many thanks.

(PS if you are onboard come and say hi to me--4072)

PPS Any bridge players out there who need a partner???

If you run into Capt. Rynd please give him my regards.

I will tell Captain Rynd you said hello and will email you on who I spoke to at dinner about you. We have been fortunate to be able to dine at the Captain’s Table in the Caronia Restaurant. As I’m sure you’re aware, the captain does not dine with us each night but we normally have one of the ship’s officers as our host(s). Captain Rynd will join us at some point.

I will tell Captain Rynd you said hello and will email you on who I spoke to at dinner about you.

Thanks!

We have been fortunate to be able to dine at the Captain’s Table in the Caronia Restaurant.

We were supposed to be at the captain's table but there was a miscommunication and we wound up elsewhere! More about that in my review which will probably be finished later this week.

Archived