Just back from NCL Dawn - DH uses a scooter

travelteam

We just returned from a 10 day NCL Dawn cruise to the eastern carribbean. We had a hc cabin on the 10th deck. We found little trouble getting around the ship. If areas weren't accessible, we never noticed since there was so much we did and could do.

Our cabin - 10198 was huge. The scooter rolled right in and was safely out of our way. The room had a huge bathroom with roll in shower with proper drains so no water flowed on the floor. There was sufficient shelves for all our needs. We also brought an over the door shoe bag for extra items, but really didn't need it.

The veranda had sufficient space for the wheel-chair and a ramp that actually worked. 2 lounge chairs and a table were comfortable for lounging and drinks. we had breakfast out there several times.

The room was equipped with four emergency buttons. I leaned on one by accident one time and the reception desk called to see if we needed assistance.

The show room had wheel-chair seating, so we were comfortable for all the shows. Several lounges were very tight to get in or out of during shows - staff brought me a chair so we could sit on the sidelines by the entrances and view the actiities.

The pool deck was accessible though when everyone was out we did have to ask people to move their chairs for us to pass. sometimes we ended up sitting near the entrance so not to disturb people all the time. Pool staff were available to find us chairs and help us set up for the day.

I am booked with my wife in a HC Room on Deck 10 just across from where you stayed. I am a full time WC user and am looking for all the info I can.

I am pleased to here that the rooms are as accessable as I hoped. We to are going to the eastern carribean. How are the islands as far as accessability? Disembarking from the ship in port? Things to avoid? I want to get the most of this adventure so any info would be Helpful....Thanks

The Islands for the most part and not very accessible friendly, broken curbs, no curb cuts, cobble streets. Lots of exhaust fumes at the sidewalk level. very few if any accessible bathrooms if you are confined to the chair completely. there will not be any transport available that will take you in your wheelchair unless you prearrange it and not all Islands have it at all.

If you have to tender into a port you may or may not be able to get off the ship depending on the water conditions it is up to the captain and the crew carrying you onto a tender in the chair can be a real nightmare it was for me and sometimes they are simply not allowed to at all.

You do need to learn all you possibly can about the ports and tendering before you go. and the cruiselines are not always that knowlegeble about the facts.

I know this post sounds negative and I do not mean it to be at all just want you to be well informed before you go. There are several sites that give lots of good info to the disabled about ports and tell you who the tour guides that can accomodate you are, be sure to contact them directly though. Good luck and Hope you have a good trip.

Quicyglen,

Hope this helps somewhat. My DH can walk some, so we did have options.

We took the scooter off at St Thomas. We stayed around the shopping areas at the pier, had drinks at a nearby bar and had no problems. Curb cuts were well maintained and easy to find. Shops had easy access.

We did not venture into town since we had been here multiple times. If u can transfer, taxis are available when u leave the hip. If u have a small non electric wheel chair the driver will assist with putting it in the trunk.

In St. Martin, we walked off the ship leaving the scooter at the gang plank. A long walk to where the taxi's where. NCL had

motorized carts avaialble to help people who walked slow, and we used that. If we would have had our manual chair we could have folded it and put it on a vacant seat.

We took a taxi to Orient Beach and stayed for the day at Kakoco's bar. From the parking lot to the beach was a very short walk, but on a narrow boardwalk. There was a ramp from the parking lot to the boardwalk and then from the boardwalk to the beach. But, then again, my DH still can walk for very short periods of time. Here we rented chairs and umbrella's (20$) and had a lobster lunch. We spent about 4 hours here. Really was magic. DH couldn't make it into the water (an undertow) but he relaxed and watched me swim. Bathroom was not HC accessible. Boardwalk was very narrow and if he had his chair, he would not be able to make the turn into the wc.

We returned to the ship and wandered about the shopping area at the pier. Very good prices for alcohol, jewlery. Also had ramps available to a few shops.

In San Juan we did not leave the ship. we've been here before and knew the streets are cobbled with few well placed curb cuts. Enjoyed the pool and music and b-b-que before others returned another magicial day. We both used the spa. DH had no trouble. The woman assisted him with the treatment tables etc. he could not get into the spa pool (no hoist) but enjoyed just being there.

Tortola was fantistic. We had a private island tour, swam at a private beach and had lunch and drinks at Pusser's Landing. Pusser's had ramps. but the bathroom was not hc. Here DH swam in the sea since 2 young men helped him in and stayed with him. These were young men traveling with another cc member. Wonderful young men with great humor and respect. A trully fantasy day. The CC member made this possible for us and it was the highlight of our trip. I will always remember this.

We did not go to the private island. Seas to high. Instead we went to Nassau. Again, we took the scooter off, but No crub cuts, or curb cuts and then when u go down to the end, no curb cut available, so we spent lots of time backing up. Finally just travled by the side of the road, trying not to get hit by motor traffic. The scooter is powerful so we could get around broken sidewalks etc. My nerves were at the end here, so we got back to the pier, did the straw market and met fellow cruisers at the bar. Not sure if it was Carlos and Chariles, but one of those.

Don't know if this is helpful to you. My DH has been disabled over 20 years, so we sort of roll with the punches and ask lots of specific questions.

We've learned we can have a good time anywhere. The Dawn is well designed for disabled travelors. Check out where the HC bathrooms are on each deck. We did and had no problerms.

At the pool staff always found us chairs. We tried not to disturb others, but the pool deck gets very crowded even for AB folks. I don't think I've ever had a better time and we've done lots of cruises on HAL, Princess and Carnival. ncl DID a great job making our trip magical and manageable.

Staff helps on and off the ship. The ramps can be steep, but they pull/push and get u off. Wonderful men. My guy felt bad because the scooter is heavy, but they would rather have him sit than stand.

Good luck on your trip.:D

Thanks for all the great information. I have been in my chair for 14 yrs. I also have learned to go with the flow. I have found ways to do just about all I need to do and not let the things I can't, get me down. As long as I can get around the ship all the rest is gravy...Thanks Again

In St Thomas there is a handicapped van available for hire. We met people who booked with them before cruising,they were on the Carnival. They found the website on line. Hope this is helpful. Google cruise shore trips, and u may find the site.:D

Archived