Recent Tortola Visitors

Maple Leaf Traveller

You will find this information in several threads just below your post, this one being the most recent will give you the choices and cost of each if you read through the thread. 

So you have 4 public/private transportation options for this specific request (hitting the two beaches) - the shared safari-type taxis, a “private” taxi, an island tour that will stop at CGB and may make a quick stop at Brewers if all of the 20+ passengers request that, or reserving a tour guide like AC. Follow up with any additional questions!

9 minutes ago, blue_water said:

You will find this information in several threads just below your post, this one being the most recent will give you the choices and cost of each if you read through the thread. 

So you have 4 public/private transportation options for this specific request (hitting the two beaches) - the shared safari-type taxis, a “private” taxi, an island tour that will stop at CGB and may make a quick stop at Brewers if all of the 20+ passengers request that, or reserving a tour guide like AC. Follow up with any additional questions!

Hello...I have looked at all 25 replies to NightOne and the most recent is from 2009.  I was hoping for a more recent idea of the price...I understand the options...I was interested in the potential cost for six of us in a private van.

2009? This thread started this month, that’s why I referenced it...The prices that I noted are current.

So you are looking for a private driver that gives you an island tour with a stop at the beaches, with the driver is at your disposal for the day? Or just a van taxi taking you to the two beaches that may give you a mini-tour as well?

For a PRIVATE driver who spends the day with you, you have two options:

1) The regulated taxi tour fares noted in post #17, you can request a van ahead of your arrival by contacting the taxi office.

2) Private drivers like AC, NightOne was quoted $90/hr. 

For a “private” van taxi without reserving one, when you arrive you can ask the ladies at the information center for help with a van taxi and the driver can work with you. The fare could be as little as ~$ 25pp + tip for a ride to both beaches + a mini-tour. The cost could be more, but the driver may offer to work with you between other fares if you are flexible.

Hope that helps?!

That is just a best guess, thinking the normal safari taxi fare to Brewers or CGB is $8pp each way, and add ~$6pp between beaches for a total of $22pp. You would just be taking a taxi to/from the beaches for that price. Taxi fares are regulated, but a van taxi for just your group may charge a little more For the private ride...but drivers may work with you by returning at a set time to take you to another beach.

Most drivers will take you up Joe’s hill rd and over Ridge Road  to get to Brewers, and when leaving CGB you can ask to return to the port via the north shore, over Zion Hill Road and back along the south shore to see more of the island. I’m sure a driver would accommodate you for a little more or for a decent tip. Then you can also see Carrot Bay, Apple Bay where Bomba’s Shack is, and perhaps Long Bay and even Smuggler’s Cove before heading back over Zion Hill.

Just a thought...

Drivers at the pier offer the shared tours on safari taxis, some stopping for a beach lunch that you pay for, but they are shared tours, not private, and not much beach time.

nightone chose the private tour guide option to have the most control for their day. But if your group doesn’t want to spend $100 - $150/couple and you are willing to find a driver when you arrive with your fellow cruisers the ladies at the info center can probably hook you up with a van taxi, and the driver may be flexible, just no guarantees...

Edited by blue_water

Thanks...I REALLY appreciate your help...and your knowledge...I see you also seem to know about St.Thomas...we are headed there after Tortola...any suggestions for me?

Taxi van info...great beach...(are there bad ones...lol?)...anything else because I don’t know what I don’t know...

Thanks in advance...Ken

Sure thing!

On STT we like Sapphire Beach the best - you can rent lounges for $9 each and there are food and drink options and restrooms. Home to 3 condo properties, but much less busy than other beaches with soft, white sand, gorgeous water colors and beautiful island views.

Safari taxi is the normal way to get around and is $10 - $11 each way depending on port, drivers will be there for your return to port. Taxis are very reliable and no need to book an excursion through the ship.

• Like 1