How I'm Going to Save $$ on the Queens!

dtwtraveler

"wripro" wrote:

Quote:

imo the cruise line certainly has a reason to offer price protection even after final payment and that is to keep you as a happy loyal customer. If they lowered the price on me after final payment and refused to honor the same fare that would be the last time they'd ever see me.

On these boards, the Brits have mentioned many times that Cunard will never honor price reductions after they've paid at a higher rate! One British couple on our 12/8 cruise mentioned that they reserved a P1 before the brochure had been printed. Cunard suddenly offered a 40% reduction and refused to refund them any $$. Shortly before the departure they were upgraded to a QG suite. They think that Cunard finally felt bad for them. It was a surprise trip for the husband, and I think the first vacation for the two away from their 3-year-old twins! However, the host, Doug, is probably right - Cunard had a buyer for their P1 suite!

I learned from this experience to pick an unpopular date (such as ours which was the last cruise before the popular Christmas cruise), or be flexible and available on more than one possible departure date, and/or wait until really late to be able to take advantage of a big price reduction. Also, don't be resolute on the location of the stateroom on the ship! We were on the elevator with a smug couple who told us proudly that they called and booked the 12/8 cruise a week before the departure. I just know that she was going to tell me how cheap it was just as the elevator door opened, and we escaped before she could tell us her depressingly low-price news! And, guess where their table was in the Britannia? They were seated right under the mural across from the Captain's table and next to our table!

Well, if you don't have your heart set on any particular cruise, I guess this could work - otherwise, you may be left out in the cold some of the time.

Also keep in mind that sometimes last-minute, ultra-cheap deals will appear for cruises when there is no affordable airfare available to the port of departure. A great buy on a cruise from Rio does you no good if you have to buy a $6000 buisness class ticket to get to Rio to take advantage of the $3000 cruise you got for only $1500!

Well, if you don't have your heart set on any particular cruise, I guess this could work - otherwise, you may be left out in the cold some of the time.

Also keep in mind that sometimes last-minute, ultra-cheap deals will appear for cruises when there is no affordable airfare available to the port of departure. A great buy on a cruise from Rio does you no good if you have to buy a $6000 buisness class ticket to get to Rio to take advantage of the $3000 cruise you got for only $1500!

How true! However, you do have a few-days window to hold the room and shop around for cheap airfare, eh?

Cunard, feeling bad for them?

Nope, yield management software at work.

Initial fares on that 12/8 sailing were out of this world. I had one couple starting out in a D5. I refared them 4 times, involving two upgrades in the process. Then another upgrade from Cunard at final payment. They finished in an A3.

I've told my Cunard rep, they would sell voyages much faster if their initial price points weren't so out of this world. They need to get a grip on market price points. Too many just hold off booking.. then we run into the.... didn't get my choice of dining.. don't like the cabin location, etc. etc. not to mention air issues.

Since I booked the World Cruise, Jan. 2007, in June of 2006, is there a chance I may be upgraded from my hull balcony?

We are doing the complete 81 days. Any ideas?

You just never know. Depends on how the ship sells. Talk to your agent.

I was able to get a booking refared (my clients deposited onboard) once I got ahold of the fax confirmation and a rep worth his salt on the phone. The onboard consultant wasn't the brightest bulb in the world.

Booking the world is the toughest job for agents. We can't use GDS.. we have to rely on the rez agents in the call center. And then booking segments is even worse,,, especially if your agency has more than one group allotment they can book into. Then you have to piecemeal every segment to get the best fare.. and then add it all together. Then you just pray that when the faxes arrive, it matches what the rep told you. ARGH!!!!!

I've told my Cunard rep, they would sell voyages much faster if their initial price points weren't so out of this world.

Agreed. Not a problem just with Cunard, but I think it is more with them than anyone else.

It makes absolutely no sense for fares to start out astronomically high, and then keep falling. Surely they want people to book early - but they can't expect anyone to if they penalize those that do!

Archived