Formal Night Requirements for 11 year old boy

friedshrimp

I have an upcoming HAL cruise on the Veendam (first time with HAL) with my family and want to know what the dress requirements will be for the 2 formal nights for my 11 year old son. I tried contacting HAL directly, but, as everyone knows, they are updating/having problems with their website. I'm hoping we can get away with a long sleeve shirt and tie because to buy a suit he will wear twice and then sit in the closet until given away would be wasteful considering how quickly they grow at this age. Any thoughts would be appriciated.

You can get away with that, but I'll be honest that my son is complimented a lot when we dress him up on formal nights. Any chance you can borrow a blazer for your son, or look for one on ebay or in a consignment shop? I am just in the "old school" even though I'm relatively young. It's not often that we get to dress our kids up, so I love it when we can.

I agree with the above poster, but I wanted to make another suggestion to you for your son. We're sailing on the Volendam in February and my nephews are 9, 11 and 18. I am renting them tux's. I know it sounds like alot, but to be honest with you, I rented them 5 years ago when we sailed the Veendam and, after much arguing, the kids loved dressing up in the tux's. They all looked so handsome and they knew it. When we planned this cruise, the first thing out of the boy's mouth's were, Auntie, are we getting tux's again, so I am renting them again.

If you want to check out the web site, its: http://www.cruiselineformal.com they are delivered to your cabin and at the end of your cruise, you just leave them in your cabin, nothing to pack or unpack, its great. Something to think about if nothing else. Enjoy your cruise.

We were recently on Zaandam over Christmas with two sons, 13 and 16.

Both boys had sports jackets and ties on for formal nights. Once they got use to the routine, they were dressed and ready to go to dinner in no time.

Usually right after dinner they would change quickly into their "teen" clothes and resume activities in the "loft". I think they too enjoyed dressing up even though they would never admit it and they looked great for those formal pictures!!!!

We have taken our two grandsons (now ages 10 and 16) on 3 cruises in the past 6 yrs. We started out with suits (which they out grew) then the last cruise in Oct. '05 we just went with long sleeve dress shirts with a tie. They looked fine and we didn't have the expense of buying jackets or suits again. They live in Hawaii so would have no where else to wear them.

On our first cruise on the Maasdam because we didn't know any better and hadn't found CC yet, our 9 year old son just wore a nice shirt and pants for formal night. We felt really out of place. Last time we purchased an inexpensive navy sports jacket and slacks. Our then 11 year old son was okay with it as long as he could change right after dinner and join the other kids at Club Hal. I am in a bit of a dilemma for our current trip as my now almost 13 year old son is growing a 1/2" per month. I considered renting a tux as suggested by Doone, but what do you do for the informal nights?

I agree, a dress shirt and tie for informal nights on a teen would be perfectly acceptable. Rent the tux for him on formal evenings, he may complain, but when he puts it on and see's how handsome he is, he'll love it.

I hope you don't do what I saw someone do on my Westerdam cruise. There were two boys about 7 or 8 at a table with their parents every night, dressed in little suits--complete with headphones and game boys. I guess the parents wanted to have some quiet conversation but I don't think the kids ever once looked up from their games. So much for those boys getting the experience.

Thanks for all the input all. The HAL website was finally back up (at least for a little while) and their official policy is for children, a white, long-sleeved, collared shirt with a tie is okay for formal nights. Again, thanks for all of the suggestions!

Archived