Best beverage card for a coffee addict

puli

I would like advice about the value (if any) of purchasing non-alcohol  beverage cards and if it is a good idea,  which card should I buy for purchasing  coffee  from the Explorer's Cafe. Our cruise is only for 7 days and on a Princess ship , for a week's cruise we would  buy 2 coffee cards, amounting to 15 special coffee selections  per card  and if there were many sea days we  might spring for an  additional card. So...  minimum servings of specialty coffees for the cruise would be 30 for the two of us.....assuming you can share a card.   The card would never be used for alcoholic drinks  and I doubt even for any other beverage....soda or fancy water.

When I explored my options on the web site I found 2 different  $50 cards options...one  was for any type of drink  including specialty coffee and the other was only for non alcohol beverages. Is there a difference between the two regarding our coffee consumption?   If we opt for the "non alcohol " card would we get more  cups of coffee  for our money?

We have 2 more HAL cruises booked so if  one can carry over a HAL beverage card from one cruise to another  that would certainly affect our purchase choice.

But..the bottom line is...do  you save any money using these cards?

I believe there are three different cards.  The beverage card is for both alcoholic and nonalcoholic drinks.  We had some beverage cards on one of our cruises, and got coffee with it.  The coffee card is only for coffee.    I think there's an option for a coffee set that includes coffee mug and card.  The third is a soda value card.  Pay $25 get $50 worth of fountain soda.    I'm considering bringing a six or twelve pack of soda onboard if the husband will let me.   They don't have root beer.  I'm wondering if I can slap on a luggage tag printed on a label and check it.  Hopefully, someone else will weigh in on that.

I got refunded for what I didn't use on the beverage card.  I did not get refunded for my $1 or so from the soda value card.  I heard that if one gets over $25 worth of soda, no refunds since one originally spent $25.

If you're a three-star or higher Mariner, you'll need to charge coffee to your account to get that discount.

Edited by knittinggirl

Best card just might be your cabin key card - leave your room, go to the Lido for endless supplies of free hot coffee.  Add sugar and milk for your own free "latte". DH is a coffee fan and he likes the standard HAL coffee a lot. Others find it too strong.  

Alas, they used to serve Sumatra coffee at the former Indonesian Tea which was a delicious option. I understand they still offer Sumatra coffee at the Pinnacle. Room service will also deliver in-cabin hot coffee. 

BTW: we bought "Shade Lady" coffee beans from the dockside stall at Puntarenas, Costa Rica and this has become our own very favorite, after years of also ordering Argovia coffee from our port stop in Puerto Chiapas Mexico.

If anyone is a coffee fan and going to Costa Rica, seek this Shade Lady  brand out - from the Canadian who selects his Terrazu beans carefully and honors fair trade coffee production in his adopted homeland.  

Edited by OlsSalt

6 minutes ago, knittinggirl said:

I believe there are three different cards.  The beverage card is for both alcoholic and nonalcoholic drinks.  We had some beverage cards on one of our cruises, and got coffee with it.  The coffee card is only for coffee.    I think there's an option for a coffee set that includes coffee mug and card.  The third is a soda value card.  Pay $25 get $50 worth of fountain soda.    I'm considering bringing a six or twelve pack of soda onboard if the husband will let me.   They don't have root beer.  I'm wondering if I can slap on a luggage tag printed on a label and check it.  Hopefully, someone else will weigh in on that.

I got refunded for what I didn't use on the beverage card.  I did not get refunded for my $1 or so from the soda value card.  I heard that if one gets over $25 worth of soda, no refunds since one originally spent $25.

If you're a three-star or higher Mariner, you'll need to charge coffee to your account to get that discount.

Thanks so much for the information...especially the part about being 4 star  .. I forgot all about the discount...well there goes the need for a beverage card.

4 minutes ago, OlsSalt said:

Best card just might be your cabin key card - leave your room, go to the Lido for endless supplies of free hot coffee.  Add sugar and milk for your own free "latte". DH is a coffee fan and he likes the standard HAL coffee a lot. Others find it too strong.  

Alas, they used to serve Sumatra coffee at the former Indonesian Tea which was a delicious option. I understand they still offer Sumatra coffee at the Pinnacle. Room service will also deliver in-cabin hot coffee. 

BTW: we bought "Shade Lady" coffee beans from the dockside stall at Puntarenas, Costa Rica and this has become our own very favorite, after years of also ordering Argovia coffee from our port stop in Puerto Chiapas Mexico.

If anyone is a coffee fan and going to Costa Rica, seek this Shade Lady  brand out - from the Canadian who selects his Terrazu beans carefully and honors fair trade coffee production in his adopted homeland.  

It is wonderful finding a product you enjoy  through  traveling...a treat you often adopt..We have  ordered  coffee from Hawaii for years.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, knittinggirl said:

We've bought Blue Mountain at the Jamaica dock for years.

We have the makings of a very good new thread - what products did you discover while cruising that you now order at home.

And to add to the coffee intrigues when cruising, we did purchase the infamous "civet digested" (ahem) coffee when at a port stop in Indonesia. It was absolutely delicious. Informed guests what they were going  to be drinking and we all took our first sips and the same time - and we all universally agreed it was delicious regardless of our round or "ewws" at the thought of its curious production methods.

19 minutes ago, OlsSalt said:

We have the makings of a very good new thread - what products did you discover while cruising that you now order at home.

And to add to the coffee intrigues when cruising, we did purchase the infamous "civet digested" (ahem) coffee when at a port stop in Indonesia. It was absolutely delicious. Informed guests what they were going  to be drinking and we all took our first sips and the same time - and we all universally agreed it was delicious regardless of our round or "ewws" at the thought of its curious production methods.

You are a brave soul! I bet next you will be eating the crickets and other bugs often found at local stalls! Now that would also make an interesting thread..." What  was the most unusual dining experience you have  encountered in your travels?"