NCL Star 30th November - 14th December issues with card payments and new staff

Bron_Holden

Just recently returned form our first trip with NCL.  We have previously travelled with Princess, Pand O and Royal Carribean.

We were intially very impressed with the ship and its new fit out and loved the cabin especially the bathroom setup.  However we had numerous problems with our credit card which we have never expereinced before.  Before you ask they knew we were travelling and on NCL etc.  Despite having loads of credit available our card kept getting delcined.  We made frequent calls to Barclaycard who confirmed that it was NCL's issues and of coure NCL denied it saying it was Barclaycards issue.  This led to frequent trips to the desk and phone calls between myself and Barclaycard.  Both in the end admitted to one fault each although my card was declined numreous times.  Despite this I had no problems using my card in America post cruise so I am inclined to believe one side more than the other.  We did have another card which in the end we had to use with NCL as everytime they had a problem they would freeze my onboard account even for drinks which had been prepaid.  I complained about them stopping the drinks and each time they promised they would not do so as we had paid for them already but guesss what each time they did.

We also had an issue with what seemed to be a large number of bar staff and wating staff that were new.  They did not know their menus or the recipes for the most common of coctails.  Maganging to get the same drink again with the same ingredients was very difficult.  One day it would be no problem and the next I would be told that they didnt do it.

Would be interested to hear if anyone else had the same problems

2 minutes ago, Bron_Holden said:

Just recently returned form our first trip with NCL.  We have previously travelled with Princess, Pand O and Royal Carribean.

We were intially very impressed with the ship and its new fit out and loved the cabin especially the bathroom setup.  However we had numerous problems with our credit card which we have never expereinced before.  Before you ask they knew we were travelling and on NCL etc.  Despite having loads of credit available our card kept getting delcined.  We made frequent calls to Barclaycard who confirmed that it was NCL's issues and of coure NCL denied it saying it was Barclaycards issue.  This led to frequent trips to the desk and phone calls between myself and Barclaycard.  Both in the end admitted to one fault each although my card was declined numreous times.  Despite this I had no problems using my card in America post cruise so I am inclined to believe one side more than the other.  We did have another card which in the end we had to use with NCL as everytime they had a problem they would freeze my onboard account even for drinks which had been prepaid.  I complained about them stopping the drinks and each time they promised they would not do so as we had paid for them already but guesss what each time they did.

We also had an issue with what seemed to be a large number of bar staff and wating staff that were new.  They did not know their menus or the recipes for the most common of coctails.  Maganging to get the same drink again with the same ingredients was very difficult.  One day it would be no problem and the next I would be told that they didnt do it.

Would be interested to hear if anyone else had the same problems

What a pain with the CC, I would not be happy if it were me. As for the bar staff: it can be frustrating to have a new or partially new crew. It has happened to us a couple of times but it seems there is nothing that can be done other than remember: all of us were new at our jobs at one time or another. We had a similar problem recently with bar service at our local club.. The poor bar tender didn't know what a Rob Roy was and served our friend one with a cherry and piece of pineapple on top. If was served in a ice tea glass.. The bar tender said he would have to google it as he had no idea what one was. It took 3 times before he got it close to right. 

We were on the same cruise. No problem with the credit card. We had a great room steward. Other than that we thought this cruise was sub par to other cruises we have taken. (This was our 26th cruise)  We were not impressed with the food. We ate at Cagney's 3 times. The first time everything was great, 2nd time the service was slooooow, 3rd time the food wasn't good.

At O'Sheehans one night, people were walking out because they hadn't gotten a waiter after 10 - 15 minutes after being seated. Service was usually very slow there.

We were not impressed with the music around the ship and thought that there wasn't much for activities. Other NCL cruises have had much more. On Sea days the only bars that were open during the day were the ones on deck 12 or O'Sheehans on deck 8.  Missed having an Atrium Bar (Coffee and Tea only). 5 O'clock Somewhere meant it didn't open till 5 O'clock but was a gathering place for most to play games. (nothing else to do)  

Thanks Pizza123

We also felt the entertainment was not up to much but as it was our first cruise with NCL we werent sure what was normal.  O'Sheehans was a nightmare. They woudl serve the mains before we have even managed to get eat half the starter. When I complained I was told that it ws normal for pub grub.  Having eat in many pubs around the world I expalined that I had never before had the main arrive until I finished the starter I was told that they would ensure for us that it wouldnt happen again.  They didnt get the point that it shouldnt happen at all.

As to the music we competely agree.  Some of thegroups were dreadful particaularly the group in the Atrium.