Can New Orleans Handle the Big Ships?

Tenderpaw

No, in my opinion.  We have sailed from NO 3 times now, with the last being on the Breakaway a couple of weeks ago.  When we boarded on the 6th, it was a mess.  We got there around 11.  We sat is super slow traffic for over 45 minutes, then we stood in line literally in the street for almost an hour to get into the terminal.  18 wheelers delivering stores to the ship were competing with cars and trucks on the same street to drop off passengers.  This was probably fine when ships carried 2000 people, but when you double that, no so much.  I'm sure the NO lovers will disagree, but that's my 2 cents.

Dave

We have sailed out of NO eight times (we live here) and have never experienced anything like this. The trucks that deliver supplies to the ships do not use the same street as passengers do, and deliveries are made in the early a.m. before passengers begin to board. There are lines, but they move at least as quickly as in any other port we have experienced.

Well you're sailing NCL so julia street terminal which is under the mall. I've never used that line or that terminal. I've sailed from New Orleans out of Erato Street terminal on Carnival 7 times. The last two times being the 4,000 passenger Carnival Dream and had no problems. 

Earlier this month I arrived at the port at 12:08 and was on board at 12:40...for debarkation I was sitting on lido deck when my number was called at 8:54 and I was through customs at 9:14. All documented in my live review.

On my prior trip in August I arrived at the port at 11:50 and was onboard at 12:15.  All covered in my live review for that cruise.

Edited by Saint Greg
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

We were on the Breakaway over Thanksgiving (2nd sailing out of NOLA) Got to the terminal around 10a Group 2 on the ship by 11ish; departure was delayed by an hour. Didn't do self assist and our time was suppose to be 930a but we go called at 845a, got our luggage, through customs then onto the shuttle to Fulton Street and on the road before 11a. No issues or problems, much easier than planned.