tour by rental car

Asenbaum

We have one day on Tortola in March from 10-7 and would like to rent a car.

Is a SUV absolutely necessary to drive to Smugglers Cove or would a normal car also be okay for it (when driving slowly and carefully)?

Where are the best stops for panoramic views to the cruise ship port and to other bays and beaches?

Thanks for your help

I would choose a 4x4 only for the ground clearance, but if you drive very carefully a sedan would probably survive. A 4x4 is also helpful if the steeper roads are wet...

The drive over the spine of the island provides spectacular views of the bays and other islands. I would probably drive toward the West End to go to Smuggler’s, that is a flat drive along the south shore with nice island views. Then take Zion Hill Rd over to the north shore, that is less steep than the drive from Road Town to CGB, for example. Take a left going by Sebastian’s and the Long Bay Beach Club and on to Smuggler’s. Nigel should be selling drinks and food there, or are you planning to take a lunch with you? 

When you leave the beach drive east along the north shore and up Windy Hill Rd, there are switchbacks where you use your horn to warn any oncoming traffic that you are coming. About halfway up you’ll see the Heritage Inn motel and the Bananakeet Inn. The spectacular panoramic views of Carrot, Apple, and Long Bays are stunning from there, along with Jost, Sandy Spit, and the islands of the VI. If the Bananakeet is open (currently Thurs - Sun I believe) be sure to try the signature drink - the delicious Bananakeet. Bonky and Peanut are great and will take care of you.

Continuing up the hill you’ll see a sign for CGB if you want to get a nice photo op of that bay. You can then drive back down to RT and find other points with views...I would make time to drive down into both CGB and Brewers Bay (at least the latter) to see the beautiful beach.

Edited by blue_water

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you very much for the detailed information which is really helpful.

Sounds all great and I think we will do it exactly the same way you mentioned.

Will post a review when we're back in April.

Thanks very much again 🙂

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

As promised here is my quick review about our trip to Smuggler’s Cove.
We did it exactly as blue_water suggested.
It was a nice trip over the island and the way to Smuggler’s wasn’t that bad as expected, although we were glad to have a 4x4.

Smuggler’s Cove was very nice but a little bit crowded and we missed the palms which mostly have been vanished after the hurricane. At least on the photos which we have seen before we went the place looked more beautiful than today. But sand and water were just perfect and we had a wonderful day.

After the beach break at Smugglers Cove we had some very nice views from the different kind of lookouts when on the way to Brewers Bay were we had a quick bath.  The tour ended at Pusser's Pub for a last beer before we returned the car and entered the ship again.

Was a very nice day and we enjoyed the freedom to have an own car and cruising around the island.

Thanks again blue_water for your help 😊