OBC in AUD vs USD

BuckGood

Hi,

We have booked a 19 night HKG-SYD and we will be getting $700 OBC but my question is, it says OBC will be in AUD if that’s the case we will be getting ripped off of $294 USD as Every other cruise I have plotted the OBC is in USD. $300 of the OBC is from our Future Cruise deposit which is in USD. Will they convert the OBC from -USD-AUD if so then our OBC should be $994 AUD! 

Anyone have had this happen?

Thank You!

Same for us.  We have an Australia, New Zealand cruise booked for March 2019. We have $200 from FCD credits and $100 in share holder benefits and they are in AUS dollars.  So I also feel like we lost money.  But apparently that's their policy since that's the stated currency of the ship.

Edited by DrOfBytes
typo

It is not only that but you will be paying the daily gratuities but the Australian and New Zealand cruisers do not. Supposedly they pay higher fares but I have found that not to be true. I priced my cruise in US and AUS travel agent sites. They were within $100 of each other (AUS was higher). So you are had twice. Pay a similar price AND get stiffed on the on-board credits as well as paying tips. We do have better ability to refare and get better fares but we did 49 days on the Sun Princess and it did gnaw at us. 

Totally the case - for both the OBC and the gratuities. 

We also checked last year and the price between North American bookings and Aussie booking (for the same cabin) was less than $100, yet Aussie's don't get charged the gratuities.  

Princess removed the wording USD when purchasing FCD awhile ago. It clearly states that you OBC will be 50.00, 100.00 but makes no mention of the currency. As well as any sales that offer a OBC does not specify that currency the OBC will be in. Princess made this change about 1 1/2 years ago and now any OBC that you get from a sale booking or FCD will be in the currency that ship is billing. 

• Thanks 1

At the risk of starting or inflaming a great tipping debate one must bear in mind the old saying:- "When in Rome do as the Romans do." The on-board currency in Princess ships operating out of or travelling to or from Australian ports is AUD$. Tipping on the lavish USA scale is not part of the Aussie, or Kiwi, culture as we like to pay people a decent wage upfront.

OBCs are not owned or a right but a promotional tool used by cruise companies to make their product more attractive.

For those feeling aggrieved about the situation here is a way to play the game. When you have a bit of spare time on your next cruise to or from Australia the on-board account will be in AUD$. Fill in a future cruise deposit form and have it billed to the account. The amount paid will be in AUD$ but if your next cruise is on a ship where the currency is in US$ your promotion amount for that cruise will be in US$. There shouldn't be any whinging then. It worked for me on a cruise from Beijing to Sydney and then when I did a Mediterranean cruise 12 months later. 

1 hour ago, Amaroo Andrew said:

At the risk of starting or inflaming a great tipping debate one must bear in mind the old saying:- "When in Rome do as the Romans do." The on-board currency in Princess ships operating out of or travelling to or from Australian ports is AUD$. Tipping on the lavish USA scale is not part of the Aussie, or Kiwi, culture as we like to pay people a decent wage upfront.

OBCs are not owned or a right but a promotional tool used by cruise companies to make their product more attractive.

For those feeling aggrieved about the situation here is a way to play the game. When you have a bit of spare time on your next cruise to or from Australia the on-board account will be in AUD$. Fill in a future cruise deposit form and have it billed to the account. The amount paid will be in AUD$ but if your next cruise is on a ship where the currency is in US$ your promotion amount for that cruise will be in US$. There shouldn't be any whinging then. It worked for me on a cruise from Beijing to Sydney and then when I did a Mediterranean cruise 12 months later. 

Interesting...I was on a NZ cruise late Nov/early Dec and tried to purchase FCD.  The future cruise consultant told me I could not buy in AUD currency since I booked the cruise I was on in USD. The onboard account was in AUD but she said FCD will directly charge to my credit card, not the onboard account.  I don't know why she can't charge my credit card in AUD.  She said it had to be the same currency as I was booked on.

6 hours ago, ebeluga said:

Interesting...I was on a NZ cruise late Nov/early Dec and tried to purchase FCD.  The future cruise consultant told me I could not buy in AUD currency since I booked the cruise I was on in USD. The onboard account was in AUD but she said FCD will directly charge to my credit card, not the onboard account.  I don't know why she can't charge my credit card in AUD.  She said it had to be the same currency as I was booked on.

And even more interesting, I had exactly the opposite experience recently on the Golden Princess from LA to Auckland. The Future Cruise Deposit form was delivered to the cabin. The currency on board was USD. The FCD form had four currencies to check in which you could elect to pay. $100USD, $100AUD, $100NZD or 50UKpounds. I ticked the NZD box and was debited 100NZD from my credit card.