Carnival Magic

ctsharpie05

New to Carnival (and have only been on one cruise previously). We will be sailing on the magic. My phone and IPAD are too old to download the HUB app. Can I make ressies for the MDR in person and will the daily activities be delivered, on paper, to the stateroom? Basically, will not having the HUB app be an issue?

Welcome! The Carnival Magic currently does not have check in for Your Time Dining (YTD) via the app anyway; you have to checkin in person. Even if they did, the ship or ships that do (Horizon and maybe the Vista too), still have a place where you can checkin in person. They don’t expect everyone to have the app. Same with the Funtimes. They still give paper copies because they know not everyone has the app. Anyway, enjoy your cruise! I sailed on the Magic last year and loved it. 😊

Edited by bakersdozen12

1 hour ago, ctsharpie05 said:

New to Carnival (and have only been on one cruise previously). We will be sailing on the magic. My phone and IPAD are too old to download the HUB app. Can I make ressies for the MDR in person and will the daily activities be delivered, on paper, to the stateroom? Basically, will not having the HUB app be an issue?

You mean you don't pay for data? Because all iPads have with 4G, LITE, or data. 

1 hour ago, bakersdozen12 said:

Welcome! The Carnival Magic currently does not have check in for Your Time Dining (YTD) via the app anyway; you have to checkin in person. Even if they did, the ship or ships that do (Horizon and maybe the Vista too), still have a place where you can checkin in person. They don’t expect everyone to have the app. Same with the Funtimes. They still give paper copies because they know not everyone has the app. Anyway, enjoy your cruise! I sailed on the Magic last year and loved it. 😊

Thank you! We booked a Cove Balcony and are very excited!

32 minutes ago, coevan said:

I can use wifi fine on both products. I have a first generation mini IPAD and it no longer excepts Apple's updates so I am unable to download most apps now (including the HUB app). My phone is an old samsung that lacks any storage so no new apps for me 😞 

40 minutes ago, ctsharpie05 said:

Thank you! We booked a Cove Balcony and are very excited!

Coves are my absolute favorite type of balcony! I won’t do any other kind of room on the Dream class ships. I love being that close to the water, because for me, being out on the ocean is what makes cruising more fun than land vacations. I love that you can hear the water from your cove. And being able to see the flying fish early in the morning is especially cool. I think you will love your cove! 

1 hour ago, coevan said:

Actually, no, not all iPads can be used with data. I have an iPad that I bought years ago and there were two options at the time: WiFi-only iPads and ones that worked with both WiFi and data plans. As I knew I was never going to purchase a data plan for it since I had an iPhone, I got the WiFi-only version. 

That said, the Carnival Hub app works with the ships WiFi, and you don’t need to purchase the WiFi to use it. Only pay the $5 one-time activation fee once onboard. I’m assuming that the OP’s issue might be that they can’t download the app itself onto theirs because the app doesn’t support their operating system. Not sure why they haven’t kept up with the OS updates, but perhaps it’s an issue with not enough available memory. I haven’t used my iPad in many, many years, and this is patty because I just assume that it’s not possible to upgrade the OS to the newest version. 

2 minutes ago, bakersdozen12 said:

Actually, no, not all iPads can be used with data. I have an iPad that I bought years ago and there were two options at the time: WiFi-only iPads and ones that worked with both WiFi and data plans. As I knew I was never going to purchase a data plan for it since I had an iPhone, I got the WiFi-only version. 

That said, the Carnival Hub app works with the ships WiFi, and you don’t need to purchase the WiFi to use it. Only pay the $5 one-time activation fee once onboard. I’m assuming that the OP’s issue might be that they can’t download the app itself onto theirs because the app doesn’t support their operating system. Not sure why they haven’t kept up with the OS updates, but perhaps it’s an issue with not enough available memory. I haven’t used my iPad in many, many years, and this is patty because I just assume that it’s not possible to upgrade the OS to the newest version. 

My IPad is considered Obsolete so any apps that require a higher OS than what my IPAD allows (9.3 I think) will not download. Just started happening. It really stinks. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ctsharpie05 said:

That said, the Carnival Hub app works with the ships WiFi, and you don’t need to purchase the WiFi to use it. Only pay the $5 one-time activation fee once onboard

There is no charge to use the Hub App, unless you want messaging

I just got off the Magic a few days ago and I loved it.  It was my first ever cruise so I can't compare,  but it definitely met my expectations of what a cruise was supposed to be.  The YTD didn't need any reservations or whatnot in my experience.  We just went to the restaurant started on our card aafes they had us at a table within minutes.  Could have been luck for us.  We also took advantage of all the other food offerings so we may have been eating at unpopular times. The hub app was awesome,  sucks you can't get it.  They did have the next day's Fun Times out around dinner the day before,  but having the app kept it at your fingertips.  Plus all the other things you could do with it.  

On 12/24/2018 at 12:15 PM, ctsharpie05 said:

We turn off our phones and lock them in the safe for the duration of our cruises so we don't use the HUB app.

Paper copies of the Fun Times, which lists all the activities each day, hours of venues, etc, will be delivered to your stateroom each previous evening.  

Have a great cruise.